Caleb Grill Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Grill was always laboring when he was on the floor. I never felt like he looked very comfortable. He did play with his hair on fire at least.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and Cydkar

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I'll be honest with you, I like Caleb Grill... think he's a nice kid but he isn't anywhere near a solid Power 5 level player. I'd be surprised if he would be successful at UNLV or Wichita State. So to sum things up, losing Griffin and Grill nothing to worry about.

• Agree
Reactions: allday4cy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not that it is necessarily connected, but Grill had a very painful ending of his career with Iowa State. He made 3 mistakes at the very end of the final loss to Oklahoma State.

1) Committed the foul to give them free throws.
2) Gave up the drive for their final basket.
3) Grabbed the in-bounds pass that may not have been intended for him and had his pass intercepted on the break.

Really felt for him after that game. There's plenty else to blame for the loss, but you always remember the final plays when they could have made a difference in the outcome.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Bolton and Jackson are better. Prohm wants length. We're going to see the 3 spot filled by guys that are 6-5 or so.

Ellis, Johnson and one more transfer can give us a solid 5. Conditt, Jackson and the Freshmen give us a pretty good bench. Hopefully that one more transfer is a big time get.

Obviously Prohm has one last chance. I like the way this is looking so far.

the team you just descibed is a preseason 9th or 10th place team in the big 12.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Bolton and Jackson are better. Prohm wants length. We're going to see the 3 spot filled by guys that are 6-5 or so.

Ellis, Johnson and one more transfer can give us a solid 5. Conditt, Jackson and the Freshmen give us a pretty good bench. Hopefully that one more transfer is a big time get.

Obviously Prohm has one last chance. I like the way this is looking so far.
Love the optimism!!

We need a culture rebuild. Losing what SHOULD have been an improved Grill as a sophomore is not a good thing. Not terrible, but not good. We’ll have plenty of other scholarships to hand out to get guys.

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
To all the people sad that Grill is transferring. If we started recruiting a guy like grill as an immediate transfer, with the same numbers Grill put up, on a crap team. Would anybody be like "Yeah let's get that guy". No. He is a good kid. He is a great athlete. I don't think he will ever be a great basketball player. The only reason he got minutes was because of injury and us being terrible. Hopefully we can get a new guy with more upside and talent.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and Cloneon

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Maybe I'm in the minority here but does anybody see this as a good thing? Grill was pretty terrible this year. He only shot 31.4% from the field and 25% from 3. There were a lot of times I watched him this season and thought he had no business playing in big 12 basketball games. Yes, he could improve but his improvement would have to be profound to be a really good big 12 player. Not too sad about this one.
Agree, Caleb’s success or failure at a Iowa State (or any high major) was always dependent on his ability to knock down shots. He is athletic ENOUGH to play at this level, but no means does his athleticism stand out. It’s hard to come back from this poor of a shooting season, I think a fresh start is a good idea for him and for Iowa State.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
To all the people sad that Grill is transferring. If we started recruiting a guy like grill as an immediate transfer, with the same numbers Grill put up, on a crap team. Would anybody be like "Yeah let's get that guy". No. He is a good kid. He is a great athlete. I don't think he will ever be a great basketball player. The only reason he got minutes was because of injury and us being terrible. Hopefully we can get a new guy with more upside and talent.
From a P5 school? Did you see the freshman stats at Idaho for one of our top Juco targets?

I’m not sad Grill is transferring, but it’s not a good thing.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
To me their seems like there is more to this ..... The kid grew up a huge Iowa State fan and yeah his freshman year sucked but he got playing time yet you still leave what the heck ? Maybe it’s the culture of today if things don’t go perfect just leave instead of sticking it out and trying to improve yourself playing for a team and school you love. I just think with like myself I would have LOVED being just part of the team in college . All my scholarship offers to play basketball were with D2 & D3 schools but I still wanted to go to Iowa State for school so I ended up just being happy a few times helping be the scout team against the women’s team and rec ball.

Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From a P5 school? Did you see the freshman stats at Idaho for one of our top Juco targets?

I’m not sad Grill is transferring, but it’s not a good thing.
Yeah I don't look at this as a good thing. So many of us shared the same opinion that Steve needed to be able to keep 4 year guys in the program so there's a foundation of players who can show young high level talent and possibly transfers how things are done at Iowa State. Well, we just lost a guy who looked like he was going to give 100% every single possession no matter the circumstances. He's a guy I would've loved to have had 4 years at Iowa State. Was he going to be a super star? Probably not, but he could've been a leader and a menace due to his athletic ability and work ethic.

Let's be honest, Prohm will probably be able to find someone more talented than Grill. I mean, the kid had probably one game all year where he looked competent on both ends of the floor. If Grill would've stuck it out for another year or two, not gotten much playing time, and then would've left, I assume most of us would've understood. Him departing at this point in time though raises a ton of concern. We've beaten the point like a dead horse in which Prohm can't continue to recycle through players because the sustainability of success is so low by doing that.

As I mentioned earlier, the only way I see this being a positive is if Prohm is able to find a guy that has 2-3 years left of eligibility and can play at this level, but that list is going to be incredibly short. It's going to take a few home runs to end up with a roster that can compete on a night in night out basis. If that ends up happening, awesome, but at this point in Prohm's career, I'm not confident it will.

Reactions: psychlone99

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
To me their seems like there is more to this ..... The kid grew up a huge Iowa State fan and yeah his freshman year sucked but he got playing time yet you still leave what the heck ? Maybe it’s the culture of today if things don’t go perfect just leave instead of sticking it out and trying to improve yourself playing for a team and school you love. I just think with like myself I would have LOVED being just part of the team in college . All my scholarship offers to play basketball were with D2 & D3 schools but I still wanted to go to Iowa State for school so I ended up just being happy a few times helping be the scout team against the women’s team and rec ball.
There are a plethora of reasons as to why Grill would be leaving Iowa State, but we're most likely never going to get the true reason why. It's all going to be speculation. If we would've just had a good year, all of us would have completely different feelings. When Clayton Custer left, most of us were disappointed he didn't stick it out but we understood because our roster was filled with pieces that were going to make it really hard for Clayton to receive significant playing time. We don't know what the roster situation is going to be next year whatsoever. We're hoping and thinking the incoming recruits will be good, but we don't actually know that. We hope to bring in a couple good JUCO / transfer guys, but we don't know how good they'll be.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I don't think anybody thought he'd be an all big 12 player. But repeatedly people have said the roster turnover is a problem. Is it a problem or not a problem? Because Steve churns players like country crock does butter.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't think anybody thought he'd be an all big 12 player. But repeatedly people have said the roster turnover is a problem. Is it a problem or not a problem? Because Steve churns players like country crock does butter.

I agree the roster turnover is a problem. We have had some serious recruiting misses the last two years. The biggest problem is we either missed huge or hit way high. So either the player ended up not being good or they were way better and went pro. That is not a good thing or even close. If the top 75 type kids worked out and stayed it would not be a huge problem.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Any chance he was encouraged to find a better fit and that this is actually a good sign for the program?

This may well be the case. But as others have noted, the fact this type of conversation is having to be had so often is not a good sign for our program. We are having way too many guys come in and not be Big 12 caliber players. That kills continuity.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
We are down 7 players at this point from where we should have been at the start of the season assuming Tyrese goes pro.

2 never made it to campus
2 graduate
2 transfer
1 goes pro

And that is just the start. Rumors are up to 2+ more people are going to transfer.

Let's say 2 more transfer. That makes 9.
9 players in a 1 year span leaving a program. We can only have 15. That is 60 percent. This isn't a brand new coach clearing house. This is year 6.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

The #12 and #39 teams on Kenpom have reached out to him. Yes, he should have been redshirted this year but Grill was always a guy who was going to need 2 years before he was even approaching his capabilities due to his focus on basketball.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

tumblr_ourgmlNHEh1wt3ar8o8_500.gifv