Buying exercise equipment

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
My wife has been asking for a treadmill, I haven't been convinced yet I want to spend the money or have that thing taking up space in the house. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy or what kind? Do any of the 2nd hand stores sell decent ones? Should I look on Craigslist?

Would a stationary bike or elliptical be better? Never personally owned any of this equipment, so just curious. Thanks!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure what you're situation is for accessibility, but last I knew the body gets a better work out running/walking without a treadmill, i.e. more energy is used for propelling yourself across a surface.

I got a stationary bike stand trainer (for back tire on regular bike) and like it quite a bit. Easier storage too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Workout equipment seems like a pretty safe thing to get secondhand. So many people buy them and never get their money's worth and just want to unload them. I'd still research the brand before buying it. If it ends up being noisy, you'll end up using it to hang dry your clothes.

The actual type of equipment depends on you. If your wife wants a treadmill, I'd go that route versus a stationary bike. Happy wife, happy life.

I like our treadmill for winter, but it doesn't get much use during the summer. If you go with a treadmill, I'd advise getting one that can incline so you can customize your workout a little. You won't get the same results from running outside, but it's still better than nothing.

As far as where to buy one, I like looking for things using the nextdoor app versus craigslist. You can buy/sell things with people nearby. Whether true or not, it gives me a little more piece of mind.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Thanks for the info. Good point about finding something quiet.

I've tried to persuade her to just keep running outside, but she seems intent on getting a treadmill, so I guess I'll start looking. My fear is it won't get enough use, then we are trying to sell it for way less than we probably bought it. Also, is it easier on your body running on a treadmill or sidewalks/grass?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Go to Craigslist under sporting and search on treadmill. You'll most likely get a ton of hits.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I've tried to persuade her to just keep running outside, but she seems intent on getting a treadmill, so I guess I'll start looking. My fear is it won't get enough use, then we are trying to sell it for way less than we probably bought it. Also, is it easier on your body running on a treadmill or sidewalks/grass?

Is she a runner to begin with? I was not a runner, but starting on a treadmill (because middle of the winter in Iowa) helped me to start the couch to 5K program years ago. But even not liking running all that much, I prefer running outside (fair weather runner) than running on the treadmill. If running is her exercise of choice, then maybe look into it. As for me right now I would get much more use out of a weight bench and more free weights because I do at-home strength training and HIIT workouts that use dumbells. I have not run since probably last July. Our treadmill is currently a surface for kids to play toys on. I used to use it much more, but haven't much in the past year. And when I do use it, I do more varied routines (lower speed/high incline and vary both throughout the workout). I personally can't just run for long amounts of time on the "dread mill". But running is also far down the list on my favorite ways to exercise. Some people love it.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Also, is it easier on your body running on a treadmill or sidewalks/grass?

My experience: difficulty - each mile on a treadmill = 1/2 mile outdoors

I didn't run for several weeks and was able to knock out three miles on a treadmill without much trouble. Had I tried to just jump back in and run three miles outside, my lungs would have revolted on me.

I will usually incur more back and calf pain using a treadmill, but more achilles and knee pain running outdoors. I assume is just has to do with weight placement and the topography of my run.

My biggest pro for a treadmill is that if the weather is crappy and I just wanna be lazy and watch some tv, I can still hop on the treadmill and get some benefit out of it. I can't come up with a legitimate excuse to be lazy, even though I try.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Unbelievably, husband got an exercise bike on Amazon prime, came in two days, they sat it on the front porch, no shipping fees.

We have an exercise bike, Nordic track, treadmill, weight bench and lots of free weights taking up most of our basement and all gets used by somebody at some point in the week. I'm not sure if we come out long term saving any money versus a family gym membership, but we are more likely to exercise if we don't have to go out anywhere in the winter. The boys can all use the weight room at the high school too, and we have a community center to run in that is free as well.

Treadmill is a folding LifeSpan, exercise bike is a Schwinn. I don't know much about the treadmill, husband is the one who uses it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The biggest pro that I've found in treadmill running is the chance to focus on nothing but duration and consistency when the weather is awful.
Whatever conversion of miles indoors to outdoors a person picks is arbitrary and irrelevant, but knowing that you rolled through a solid and consistent 30, 40, 60 minutes or whatever really goes a long way when the weather improves.

• Agree
Reactions: ajk4st8

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Never buy brand new fitness equipment. 80% of "used" items like a treadmill are for sale because the owner never uses it. I had a buddy that used to work at one of those 2nd wind stores that sells used equipment. He says just do a little research on the brand and model of treadmill, and buy used directly from owner.

Check craigslist, facebook for sale groups, etc. You'll find something.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you have a strong back(carry it out of the basement) I may have something available. I have a probably 10 year old treadmill that hasn't been used in probably 4 years. It cost over $1,500 new, still works great, has 108 hours and 484 miles on it. The only problem is that the company is no longer in business (made in the USA!) so I don't know about part availability in case something does break. I'd let it go for a couple hundred if you and someone else can carry it up a flight of stairs. Pacemaster Silver Select. When I bought it 10 years ago it was on the treadmill doctors recommended list.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Craigslist frequently has free treadmills. I would get that. Tell the wife if she uses it consistently, then she can upgrade to a better one.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I hadnt used my treadmill for a long time. Then this basketball season came and now I watch the games while Im on it. The frustration and tension makes my running much more motivated. True story.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am supposed to be gaining weight so having a hard time finding cardio that doesn't diminish my returns been using the bike. Did bench press a whopping 95 pounds the other day.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I hadnt used my treadmill for a long time. Then this basketball season came and now I watch the games while Im on it. The frustration and tension makes my running much more motivated. True story.

Yeah, I like to jog on the treadmill during games as well.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

If she already runs outside and wants to use it, I'd think she'd get plenty of use out of it, as long as it's a decent one. The cold and the heat can be pretty big deterrents to jogging outside.