Buffalo Bills Damar Hamlin

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
As someone who was an EMT and ambulance crew for 15+ years on a fairly busy crew, you never want someone riding along with in the ambulance in these situations. Someone upfront is tolerable, in the back is not ideal.

I was going to say I didn't think they let you ride in back. But then remembered Mom rode upfront when I went as a kid but I did ride with my baby. He was fairly stable though so I imagine that played in.

• Friendly
Reactions: Peter

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Just saw the video. That was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It looked like he dropped dead on the field.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My sister had a brain fracture as a child. They put my mom in the ambulance and my dad followed it at 90 mph. That’s not ideal either but everybody lived.
Understand about that. Why we don’t like people in the back is they many times start asking questions, trying to talk to the patient, getting in the way (there is very little room back there and things are stored in certain spots so we position ourselves to have quick access), they can start freaking out when we have to tube them or if wr have to stop the ambulance if the AED needs to shock. Things like that. It’s not that we are trying to be mean, but more times than not, it makes our job much more difficult.

Reactions: cstrunk

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If what happened is what some of the speculation in this thread is saying it is then I wonder if some people hang it up? It sounds like it's something that you can't really control and is just something that could happen to anyone.
If it is commotio cardis or whatever then it's a one in a million sort of thing. I doubt too many are going to hang it up because of that. I mean, just about everyone knows someone who died in a car accident. It doesn't stop most of us from driving on a daily basis.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesFTW

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
As someone who was an EMT and ambulance crew for 15+ years on a fairly busy crew, you never want someone riding along with in the ambulance in these situations. Someone upfront is tolerable, in the back is not ideal.
I get that. You are working hard to stabilize the person and/or bring them back to life. Have a lot of respect for people that do that job. Especially because I know they don’t pay their employees their true worth. However, if that’s my son try keeping me out.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I don't disagree with you, but one of the first things that's going to happen is that people will look for someone to blame. It's already happening. Like it or not, I guarantee you PR folks were consulted in the decision to ultimately stop the game tonight. Hell, they probably wrote the statement that the league sent out. It's not pleasant, but PR, optics, and the overall narrative of the incident were being discussed from the moment the severity of the incident became apparent. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, and the handling of an incident like this is not something they can assume that people will give them the benefit of the doubt on.

They probably also had to consult the NFLPA I bet.

If all they did "wrong" is let some people on the field think they were going to play for a few minutes before sending them to the locker room, then their "mistakes" weren't that terrible.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The only thing that mattered to happen in a timely manner did, you had medical professionals on site to immediately give care.

On that note someone mentioned earlier that it's good to be a big city with a Level 1 Trauma Center (or whatever the facility that is treating him is classified as) and it got me wondering and thinking about how it might be good this didn't happen in Green Bay; I honestly don't know if GB being a smaller city would have that kind of facility.

Little bit of family history here that informs my thinking; my father had his 2nd heart attack back in February of 2021 and had to be airlifted down to Grand Junction, Colorado, population of around 65-70 K or so, because they were the closest city that had the kind of resources needed. These kinds of facilities aren't common in smaller towns and cities. Just a random thought on my part.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If it is commotio cardis or whatever then it's a one in a million sort of thing. I doubt too many are going to hang it up because of that. I mean, just about everyone knows someone who died in a car accident. It doesn't stop most of us from driving on a daily basis.
Oh I don't think it will be tons of players but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple players that do.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Won’t be back to normal but it’s all dependent on how quickly they were able to supply oxygen to him after he quit breathing.
It could be normal. Won’t know until take him off sedation. There are people who are neuro cognitively normal after arrest and ROSC.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Just saw the video. That was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. It looked like he dropped dead on the field.
He was administered CPR and AED, so one could say he was "dead." Praying the immediate medical attention was enough to bring him back, and he'll recover.

Reactions: KnappShack

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Assuming cv is cardiovascular, that is legit what CC is.
I am talking torn vesicle not cc. Cc is more like an electromechanical disruption rather than compromised vesicle.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And that was probably when the decision was made. However the process of cancelling and communicating the sudden cancellation of a NFL game from logistics to traffic to TV is not a snap of the fingers type action.

All the people here jumping on their soap box with their outrage are quite frankly, gross.
I have a problem with keeping his teammates and close friends - who were literally on their knees in tears on live tv - in the locker room during a temp suspension.
Nothing matters at that point. Call me gross.

Help Support Us

Become a patron