Bubu Thread

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Re: Register Exclusive: ISU asks Supreme Court to keep Palo off men's basketball team

'Board of Regents seek interlocutory appeal of this ruling on the grounds that it was an abuse of discretion and erroneous as a matter of law for the court to direct who should be a member of the Iowa State University men's basketball team, irrespective of what the Board of Regents, the President of the University, the Athletic Director or the coach believe to be the best interest of the University.'

That was taken directly from the stay submitted to the Supreme Court. That is the only shred of anything actually noble in all of this mess. I really hope this isn't about power and/or politics because it reeks of it. The more I learn about this, the less I like.

Last edited:

McKinney

Feb 1, 2012
McKinney, TX
Re: Register Exclusive: ISU asks Supreme Court to keep Palo off men's basketball team

The BOR is fighting for their rights and ISU's rights to kick someone off a team.

But, at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, maybe Leath doesn't want to catch the wrath of Obama when he meets him at this...
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...-House-summit-college-access?odyssey=obinsite

...because Obama is today making campus sexual assault a national issue...
White House takes up fight against campus sexual assault - NBC Politics

I sure hope Bubu's case doesn't become the "poster" for the White House's agenda

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Someone (entity) doesn't want judges deciding who should and shouldn't be on a team. I think this is just as much about future rulings as it is this one.

Even if you think that, as a state institution ISU has to have fair procedures set up. The judge that issued this stay seems to say that the way this procedure has been run has been filled with errors, from the delays, the mixed messages (reinstatement, renewing the scholarship, allowing him to remain a student, yet kicking him from the team) and the failure of the BoR to act as anything more than a rubber stamp instead of an independent appeal. The judge basically raked ISU\BoR over the coals for their handling of this matter.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Register has already fixed headline:

Register Exclusive: State asks Supreme Court to keep Palo off ISU men's basketball team

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

The BOR is fighting for their rights and ISU's rights to kick someone off a team.

But, at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, maybe Leath doesn't want to catch the wrath of Obama when he meets him at this...
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...-House-summit-college-access?odyssey=obinsite

...because Obama is today making campus sexual assault a national issue...
White House takes up fight against campus sexual assault - NBC Politics

I sure hope Bubu's case doesn't become the "poster" for the White House's agenda

I guarantee you this has absolutely zero to do with Obama or anything federal. This is a state issue. The only politics that seem to be involved are somebody's ego being bruised.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

People will mock this statement, but it is DEAD on.

Does everyone seriously understand how damaging this would be to future recruiting at ISU in all sports? What recruit would want to come here when Bubu comes out and tells the world how at ISU you can be falsely accused of something, have the charges dropped, have a judge side with you, and the school STILL won't let you play anymore.

Goodbye Fred! It was nice having you here for the short while you were.

I really didn't think you would be the type of person to over-react in an irrational manner. Boy, who saw that coming?

Spam

May 21, 2008

Ok I'll plead ignorant but if someone could enlighten me I would appreciate the answer to this question. How did Bubu violate THEE code of conduct when all charges were dismissed?

It's unclear and the university's biggest I mistake has been not clarifying this. You can of course violate the school code of conduct without violating any criminal laws.....academic dishonesty, as one of hundreds of things

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012

Being discussed on KXNO right now. Caller said the Supreme Court has to review the case they might not decide to take the case and the BOR can have a $600 PH private firm to look at it.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

This is just comical and an embarrassment to the University and the state of Iowa. Leath started it and it just continues to spiral deeper and deeper. I am losing huge amounts of respect for Leath over this, given the comments Pollard released after Bubu was allowed back on the team Leath obviously still wants him gone.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

My question is what did he do specifically that led to these sanctions. Of course President Leath gets to claim student privacy for not revealing his reasons or the charges. Perhaps Palo's attorney needs to make public what they've been told.

Last edited:

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

Just FYI, AG Tom Miller doesn't take a case up the ladder unless there is merit behind it. THe ALJ may have stepped in it on this one.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Bubu is from Ames. I believe the women in question from the case was also from Ames. Someone knows her, and someone wants revenge. Guaranteed. This has moved beyond legitimate. Embarrassing to be an Alum the more I learn about this crap.

yep, this is it. Someone is ****** off and has the resources and means to fight the system. For the life of me, I do not understand why Iowa State keeps fighting this. Shut up and let the team play out the season.

I'm going to go ahead and hold Leath and Pollard responsible if the season tanks ;)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

This is just comical and an embarrassment to the University and the state of Iowa. Leath started it and it just continues to spiral deeper and deeper. I am losing huge amounts of respect for Leath over this, given the comments Pollard released after Bubu was allowed back on the team Leath obviously still wants him gone.
Uh, so does Pollard...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I really didn't think you would be the type of person to over-react in an irrational manner. Boy, who saw that coming?

So you don't think it would affect a recruit's decision to come to ISU? At most schools, the administration fights for the player's rights..... but not at ISU. That's some great PR for us I'm sure.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

It isn't the University that is appealing this. It isn't Leath nor Jamie P. It is the Attorney General who is appealing on behalf of the Board of Regents. Doesn't change the team distraction impact, but we can lay of the comments attacking the ISU admin.

Nailed it. At this point, honestly, it probably isn't as much about Bubu specifically and more about the precedent and decision making ability moving forward.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa

Looks like ISU considers this situation more urgent than making the final decision on Palo back in August… Typical, its only important if it makes you look bad..

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

My question is what did he do specifically that led to these sanctions. The legal system found that the so-called victim manufactured evidence apparently in an effort to keep her boyfriend from being torqued about her fooling around with other guys. So what else came forward that implicates Palo in the "court" of student conduct? Is doing something with a female in a sexual nature the crime? If so, we will lose a ton of athletes and our student body will be sanctioned heavily. Of course President Leath gets to claim student privacy for not revealing his reasons or the charges. Perhaps Palo's attorney needs to make public what they've been told.

Thats my question as well. I dont care what testimony she may have made... no matter what she says when she's been proven to have fabricated evidence you pretty much have to throw all of her testimony out the window. So was there additional evidence against Palo? If so, i'd like to hear it. If not and Leath\Pollard are just going off the word of a proven liar, then there's just incompetence all around.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Moderators -- seriously, pls update thread title. People aren't getting it. Board of Regents - not ISU bringing this to Supreme Court.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Thats my question as well. I dont care what testimony she may have made... no matter what she says when she's been proven to have fabricated evidence you pretty much have to throw all of her testimony out the window. So was there additional evidence against Palo? If so, i'd like to hear it. If not and Leath\Pollard are just going off the word of a proven liar, then there's just incompetence all around.

Unless he admitted to things that aren't illegal but are against student code of conduct?