Bubu Thread

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Re: Register Exclusive: ISU asks Supreme Court to keep Palo off men's basketball team

I'd personally rather lose Fred than Rhoads or Pollard, but I'm definitely in the minority on that one.

We could find plenty of other football coaches to go under .500 in Big XII play. To replace what Fred is doing? Not a chance.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Re: Register Exclusive: ISU asks Supreme Court to keep Palo off men's basketball team

Taking it to the Supreme Court might be the only way isu has to avoid a massive and embarrassing lawsuit

How does this stop the lawsuit? Aren't they just asking the supreme court to reverse the ruling that put BuBu on the basketball team? I don't think this stops the proceeding of the lawsuit, and probably ensures that it will end up in a trial. Any lawyers out there know more?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

I can honestly say, in all my life, this may be the most asinine, petty, arrogant, stupid thing I have ever seen ISU do. It is embarrassing.

For those of you who disagree....think for just a minute. JP comes out with a statement that he does not want a court deciding who makes up the ISU basketball team, yet when it does not go his way, that is exactly what he wants a court to do. That statement, and this action makes him look small, petty, and like a complete moron.

Last edited:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Quote from the motion:

"The Board of Regents seek interlocutory appeal of this ruling on the grounds that it was an abuse of discretion and erroneous as a matter of low for the court to direct who should be a member of the Iowa State University men's basketball team, irrespective of what the Board of Regents, the President of the University, the Athletic Director or the coach believe to be the best interests of the University."

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

How does this stop the lawsuit? Aren't they just asking the supreme court to reverse the ruling that put BuBu on the basketball team? I don't think this stops the proceeding of the lawsuit, and probably ensures that it will end up in a trial. Any lawyers out there know more?

I wondered this as well. From a precedent perspective does it matter if Bubu ends up playing while the case proceeds? From the precedent perspective the final ruling is all that matters

GWad

Aug 22, 2013

I can honestly say, in all my life, this may be the most asinine, petty, arrogant, stupid thing I have ever seen ISU do. It is embarrassing.
Ahhhh,........NO.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Or what about David Irving? Who cares if the charges were dropped against Irving, they were also dropped against Bubu too.

Something really fishy going on here. Someone with big pockets is influencing this decision somewhere. Unless it's just that these guys big egos are hurt and they don't like feeling that some of their power was taken from them.

It has to do with the sexual assault part of the case. Its a fine line

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

It has to do with the sexual assault part of the case. Its a fine line

Is what was alleged worse than a convicted armed robbery?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I dont know how you could ever think that.

I generally really like all 3, but in order of who i want here most id go Hoiberg, Pollard, Rhoads. Hoiberg IS iowa state, Pollard has done some great things (though he's not perfect) and Rhoads, while he's a great guy, has yet to prove he can do any better than what we "resigned" DMac for, and has had exactly one winning season here.

spot on

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Slow your roll, people.

Leath's treatment of Palo was a deliberate act, designed to keep him at ISU and off the basketball team. I cannot think of a single scenario where that is the preferred course of action for anybody, because it ultimately only leads to this scenario, unless Palo decides to lie down and let himself be labeled for the rest of his life.

I just can't get my mind around that.

But it is probably unhelpful to say that you want the AD and the university President thrown overboard knowing what we know, which isn't much.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I'm honestly surprised that Bubu is somehow coming out of this looking like less of a creep than the administration and BOR.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013

Absolutely disgusting behavior by Leath and Pollard. Just a power struggle, they can't admit to losing. How the hell does a student get a scholly, be in good standing, and BE FOUND INNOCENT in a judicial court not be on the team. This is absolutely pathetic and makes me look at the administrative/athletic department as completely delusional. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fred leaves soon, I wouldn't want to work for these crooks either.

Hang in their Bubu Palo, I so desperately want you to make this phony 4$$hole president Leath look like the fool he is. What Leath and Pollard are doing is making them look far worse than the girl falsely accusing Bubu of sexual assault.

Sigh probably some sick twisted liberal feminist in the Beardshea/BOR is upset and making this all happen

Last edited:

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

Everyone who thinks this is about what Bubu did or did not do at this point is blind to what the actual issues are. This case (like many cases) is about procedure and rights. The AG is not asking the Iowa Supreme Court to weigh in on if Bubu violated the student conduct code. This is all about the BOR appealing the right for the President of a regent institution to enforce a code of conduct at their university.

Look at Miranda vs Arizona as an example. Miranda raped an 18 year old. The Miranda case found his confession inadmissible because he wasn't informed of his rights. Result, his initial conviction was overturned on a procedural technicality. The case didn't go to the US supreme court about Miranda doing or not doing something to the victim.

Same thing is happening here. This case is about Iowa State's right to allow or not allow students to be members of the athletic teams and the board of regents right to uphold that decision.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Absolutely disgusting behavior by Leath and Pollard. Just a power struggle, they can't admit to losing. How the hell does a student get a scholly, be in good standing, and BE FOUND INNOCENT in a judicial court not be on the team. This is absolutely pathetic and makes me look at the administrative/athletic department as completely delusional. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fred leaves soon, I wouldn't want to work for these crooks either.

Hang in their Bubu Palo, I so desperately want you to make this phony 4$$hole president Leath look like the fool he is.

link?

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013

Well Cydkar
1) Not enough evidence/girl was found lying and the case was acquitted

and

2)In America you are innocent until PROVEN guilty

Therefore he must be innocent.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I dont know how you could ever think that.

I generally really like all 3, but in order of who i want here most id go Hoiberg, Pollard, Rhoads. Hoiberg IS iowa state, Pollard has done some great things (though he's not perfect) and Rhoads, while he's a great guy, has yet to prove he can do any better than what we "resigned" DMac for, and has had exactly one winning season here.

I can see his point. How many good basketball coaches have we had in the last 20 years? 4. How many good football coaches? 1......maybe. From a replacement perspective, I'd rather have to replace a good basketball coach than a good football coach. Of course one would have to say Rhoads is a good coach.

As for those who say we won't lose Hoiberg over this, I didn't say he would leave because of this but he's obviously been overruled on this thing and if he feels he doesn't have control of the program, he may be inclined to accept that next NBA offer.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

Quote from the motion:

"The Board of Regents seek interlocutory appeal of this ruling on the grounds that it was an abuse of discretion and erroneous as a matter of low for the court to direct who should be a member of the Iowa State University men's basketball team, irrespective of what the Board of Regents, the President of the University, the Athletic Director or the coach believe to be the best interests of the University."

Our coach and players have made it clear what they want, in spite of our president and a.d. This is just general wording in the motion and I wouldn't read anything into it. Fred's actions have shown he wants BuBu on the team.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Being cleared (or not charged) with ANY CRIME is in no way worse than being convicted of armed robbery.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron