Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That's the problem with CampbellBall. Almost complete risk aversion in order to eliminate errors.

That is what Brad Childress tried to do as Minnesota Vikings coach.

Game theory suggests that our opponents have completely caught on, and simply do the same philosophy against us. Because on balance they have better athletes and coaching.

We're 4 and 10 in our last 14 conference games because our opponents, the ones that know us best, have figured this out.

We let the TTech QB, in his first college start, get comfortable against us last year and get some momentum, instead of blitzing and rattling him from the start.

That was awful. IIRC, we got down like 24 to 3 because of CampbellBall.
You can't coach like this and be as bad as Matt is at in game decisions. Been hard to watch his time outs/punts/4th down/goal line/field goal decisions. Really really bad.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
You can't coach like this and be as bad as Matt is at in game decisions. Been hard to watch his time outs/punts/4th down/goal line/field goal decisions. Really really bad.

I'm not on the fire CMC train, but the team has been horrendous there. I'm not convinced it isn't Manning ******* up the playcalling, though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Good staffs/coaches "self scout" themselves to see tendencies in how they call plays and the efficacy of the plays the call. i.e. why is red zone offense so bad- they look at all red zone plays and see why it's bad and change. It is SO easy to do so with the scouting software they use. All you have to do is type in the situations you want to scout and all video of those plays will show up- either play call or down and distance.
Self scouting is a humbling thing because what you "thought" would work might not be working and it can be an ego thing. I have no way of knowing if they're doing it- I would imagine they are. If they are and are still doing things the same way it is more troubling to me because they are unwilling to change things.
Their self evaluation is clearly skewed for one reason or another.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You are very anti-Matt Campbell. Why? The dude has the best half decade stretch of any coach, got us to a Fiesta Bowl win which was unthinkable 5 years ago. And because he had one bad season, you want him fired?? You won't even give him a chance to make program corrections? That's insane and 100% unreasonable.
I agree with your general premise, but this is two “bad” seasons in a row now. The first of which was with probably our most talented team ever. And both because of the same strategy/execution shortcomings. That’s what is frustrating/scary for the fan base.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you want Campbell fired you need your head examined, like Frog. I'm not eager to give up the guy who revived one of the worst P5 football programs ever. This is really the only terrible season outside of his first, he gets time to fix this.
I agree but I worry he's to proud to see his own short comings. Matt is a CEO and likely technique coach. He's not an offensive guru CLEARLY. Hand the reigns over to someone like he does with Heacock and focus on player acquisition, retention and development. Those are his strengths.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you want Campbell fired you need your head examined, like Frog. I'm not eager to give up the guy who revived one of the worst P5 football programs ever. This is really the only terrible season outside of his first, he gets time to fix this.
Frog needs to be ignored by everyone. He's a troll. Too many are taking the bait.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah calling for Campbell at this point is stupid. One because he absolutely has earned the right to try and turn this around and two you know Pollard is giving him at least 2 more years. The only way I could see less than that is if he tries to run it back next year and the season looks the exact same. If he makes some staff changes and gets to at least 6 or 7 wins next year his job will be very safe for the next few years after that.

Reactions: Neptune78

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That punt still doesn't make any sense. I refuse to believe it was just to get out of the cold faster.
He only had one time out. I left at half time cause I wasn't chancing frost bite for that crappy effort. Listening to the game on the way back, it was the right decision.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Frog needs to be ignored by everyone. He's a troll. Too many are taking the bait.
Listen, I'd hate me too if I wanted to live in the Pollyanna season of 2020, but this is 2022. The trends and facts are on my side.

I loved the CMC hire, but can see the reality of ISU football at this moment. 4 and 11 in our last 15 conference games. Same errors, same unpreparedness, same predictability.

If Manning isn't released next Monday, everybody is going to know I'm right.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Watching Saturday's game was as frustrated as I can remember being. TT is not good, and ISU did everything not to win the game. Which is the same thing its done 5 other times this year. The deja vu was maddening, kept thinking maybe they'll try something different. And the biggest part of my frustration is I do not think they will change anything.

Not just this season. All of our losses look pretty darn similar: some combination of early deficits we roar back from but come up just short, special teams mistakes, unforced errors, sloppy execution, poor offensive line play. From an execution standpoint, we are a poorly coached team.

Watching Texas Tech players and coaches woofing on the sideline - being able to hear them quite clearly from the other side of the stadium, because ISU's play was so uninspired that the stadium was virtually silent - was among the more damning indictments I could imagine.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Listen, I'd hate me too if I wanted to live in the Pollyanna season of 2020, but this is 2022. The trends and facts are on my side.

I loved the CMC hire, but can see the reality of ISU football at this moment. 4 and 11 in our last 15 conference games. Same errors, same unpreparedness, same predictability.

It won't be that fast. I honestly have no idea what to expect.

Reactions: t-noah

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have wondered a few times this year if it would be easier to stomach the season if the whole team sucked instead of just the offense. If the D was bad and the team was losing by 15-20 each game would it be easier to take?

Because the D is elite and keeps this team in games right until the very end we wonder what could have been each week. Thats whats frustrating.
and that is the thing, that is the huge source of everyone's frustration. In college football, building an elite defense is hard, extremely hard. And we have done it, we have done the hard part. Putting a mediocre offense on the field is relatively a lot easier, and in that department, we sh#t all over ourselves. I feel like wasted a golden opportunity to have a dream season. Heck, I bet if we cut down on false starts and got under center in several games this year, just those two factors alone would have us on the cusp of a dream season.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Good staffs/coaches "self scout" themselves to see tendencies in how they call plays and the efficacy of the plays the call. i.e. why is red zone offense so bad- they look at all red zone plays and see why it's bad and change. It is SO easy to do so with the scouting software they use. All you have to do is type in the situations you want to scout and all video of those plays will show up- either play call or down and distance.
Self scouting is a humbling thing because what you "thought" would work might not be working and it can be an ego thing. I have no way of knowing if they're doing it- I would imagine they are. If they are and are still doing things the same way it is more troubling to me because they are unwilling to change things.
As you say, whatever method the staff is using for "self-scouting" is not working. Self-scouting goes beyond play calling...it examines all aspects of the program.

What is happening this year isn't an "overnight" thing...it is a culmination of stuff that has been building since at least 2019, if not earlier...strange/ineffective red-zone play calling, game-time mismanagement on the offense, kicking woes, mediocre OL play, inability to improve QB play, WR struggles, etc. 2020 apparently produced a sense of "everything is going well", and there was just enough success with the consistently good defenses and RB talent to deceive the staff regarding the problems on the offensive side.

Last year should have been a huge red flag...somehow it was missed.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

So 5-4 last year in conference play, the 2nd best? in school history, wasn't good enough for you? What the ****?

If Matt Campbell is fired right now you will not find a decent coach because the AD would come across as the most ungrateful employer in history when you compare Campbell's success to the relative success of the program before him.

There is a ton of revisionist history going on here too. This is going to come as a shock but every single offensive drive doesn't end in a TD for anyone. Every single play isn't successful (unless you're the Cowboys against the Vikings yesterday but that's a whole other story). You can't eliminate certain concepts from the playbook just because they struggle. We have a poor line. We have backs not as talented as our last few. We have a poor quarterback. Our TEs are nonexistent. That's a really tough combination to overcome.

I do think we will have a new OL coach but I would be somewhat surprised if a change is made with Manning because history has shown he has had success and I do think he's doing what his boss wants him to do. Maybe his boss evolves in the off-season to change his philosophy to suit his players instead of trying to make his players execute his philosophy but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So 5-4 last year in conference play, the 2nd best? in school history, wasn't good enough for you? What the ****?

If Matt Campbell is fired right now you will not find a decent coach because the AD would come across as the most ungrateful employer in history when you compare Campbell's success to the relative success of the program before him.

There is a ton of revisionist history going on here too. This is going to come as a shock but every single offensive drive doesn't end in a TD for anyone. Every single play isn't successful (unless you're the Cowboys against the Vikings yesterday but that's a whole other story). You can't eliminate certain concepts from the playbook just because they struggle. We have a poor line. We have backs not as talented as our last few. We have a poor quarterback. Our TEs are nonexistent. That's a really tough combination to overcome.

I do think we will have a new OL coach but I would be somewhat surprised if a change is made with Manning because history has shown he has had success and I do think he's doing what his boss wants him to do. Maybe his boss evolves in the off-season to change his philosophy to suit his players instead of trying to make his players execute his philosophy but I'll have to see it to believe it.

With that team? Surely you aren't serious with this.