Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Why can't we score 45 and allow 20?

If he only wants 24 points per game why did he allow Purdy to quarterback us to such prolific offense for 4 years?
I've been wanting to say that, or something like it!

Not sure if I get the Campbell Ball moniker some have coined, trying to keep the score low, wait till the 2nd half, etc. To me, it's more questionable play calling at times, poor execution, coupled with a more than fair share of mistakes, questionable coaching. These things result in the low scoring, poor offensive games. Call a spade a spade.

I guess I would understand it if we had a ball control offense and a ground game. We don't. It's amazing that the defense has bailed the O out so many times. They continually get more than their fair share of pressure during the games, due to the offense and ST's underperforming.

Reactions: GoldCy

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I've been wanting to say that, or something like it!

Not sure if I get the Campbell Ball moniker some have coined, trying to keep the score low, wait till the 2nd half, etc. To me, it's more questionable play calling at times, poor execution, coupled with a more than fair share of mistakes, questionable coaching. These things result in the low scoring, poor offensive games. Call a spade a spade.

I guess I would understand it if we had a ball control offense and a ground game. We don't. It's amazing that the defense has bailed the O out so many times. They continually get more than their fair share of pressure during the games, due to the offense and ST's underperforming.
That's the problem with CampbellBall. Almost complete risk aversion in order to eliminate errors.

That is what Brad Childress tried to do as Minnesota Vikings coach.

Game theory suggests that our opponents have completely caught on, and simply do the same philosophy against us. Because on balance they have better athletes and coaching.

We're 4 and 10 in our last 14 conference games because our opponents, the ones that know us best, have figured this out.

We let the TTech QB, in his first college start, get comfortable against us last year and get some momentum, instead of blitzing and rattling him from the start.

That was awful. IIRC, we got down like 24 to 3 because of CampbellBall.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I listened to the episode again last night and a couple of fine points stood out to me.
  • Bruns said the issue of motion bringing defenders into the box goes back several years, including when our offense was good with Brock, Breece, Charlie/Chase etc. That points to a consistent scheme issue.
  • Bruns said that on man blocking plays like power, ISO, etc our blocking is fine. Our OL is able to win the man-on-man battles. It's the zone blocking - which is the majority of our run game - where things break down. So again it's probably a scheme/teaching issue rather than a talent issue.
Now WHICH coach(es) is the source of the problem is up to Campbell to figure out.
  • We know Myers is young and is still learning a lot. He may be over his head at this point in teaching a zone scheme.
  • We know Manning spent some time in the NFL and probably learned good stuff, but since his return the offenses haven't been as good as anticipated. Maybe what he learned isn't transferable from NFL to CFB. The trend in relative offense performance hasn't changed (production wise we were in the top 20 in drive-by-drive efficiency from '19 - '21) but we did have all-time talent on that side of the ball after his return that might have masked scheme issues.
  • Outside of X, our receivers have been pretty bad this year with lots of drops. Maybe a change there is warranted too. Noel has really dropped off from last year, and Stanley never really got started.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I listened to the episode again last night and a couple of fine points stood out to me.
  • Bruns said the issue of motion bringing defenders into the box goes back several years, including when our offense was good with Brock, Breece, Charlie/Chase etc. That points to a consistent scheme issue.
  • Bruns said that on man blocking plays like power, ISO, etc our blocking is fine. Our OL is able to win the man-on-man battles. It's the zone blocking - which is the majority of our run game - where things break down. So again it's probably a scheme/teaching issue rather than a talent issue.
Now WHICH coach(es) is the source of the problem is up to Campbell to figure out.
  • We know Myers is young and is still learning a lot. He may be over his head at this point in teaching a zone scheme.
  • We know Manning spent some time in the NFL and probably learned good stuff, but since his return the offenses haven't been as good as anticipated. Maybe what he learned isn't transferable from NFL to CFB. The trend in relative offense performance hasn't changed (production wise we were in the top 20 in drive-by-drive efficiency from '19 - '21) but we did have all-time talent on that side of the ball after his return that might have masked scheme issues.
  • Outside of X, our receivers have been pretty bad this year with lots of drops. Maybe a change there is warranted too. Noel has really dropped off from last year, and Stanley never really got started.
I'm with you in leaving the decision to Campbell. For example a lot of the people with quick keys ready to suggest who should take over the entire offense is overseeing Running Game, Running Backs and Wide Receivers. Is that the answer?

Those things suggest we're dealing with limited information given our vantage point.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Listened to Bruns on the way to work this morning and he had a "I'm throwing my hands up because none of this makes sense" vibe to it. He was openly questioning personnel, play calling, decision making - all without saying Manning should be fired. He was solely on "Matt Campbell will fix this".

Ultimately, it sounds like he's done with this offense and expects significant changes going into next year.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Listened to Bruns on the way to work this morning and he had a "I'm throwing my hands up because none of this makes sense" vibe to it. He was openly questioning personnel, play calling, decision making - all without saying Manning should be fired. He was solely on "Matt Campbell will fix this".

Ultimately, it sounds like he's done with this offense and expects significant changes going into next year.
I listened to it as well. You can hear the frustration in his voice and how fed up he is with it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I would guess the players probably feel the same way, Bruns being a former player.

As frustrated, upset, angry, etc as we are all about the offense... the players are living it. I feel for them, they are doing their best but just being set up for failure.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I listened to it as well. You can hear the frustration in his voice and how fed up he is with it.
Watching Saturday's game was as frustrated as I can remember being. TT is not good, and ISU did everything not to win the game. Which is the same thing its done 5 other times this year. The deja vu was maddening, kept thinking maybe they'll try something different. And the biggest part of my frustration is I do not think they will change anything.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Watching Saturday's game was as frustrated as I can remember being. TT is not good, and ISU did everything not to win the game. Which is the same thing its done 5 other times this year. The deja vu was maddening, kept thinking maybe they'll try something different. And the biggest part of my frustration is I do not think they will change anything.
If you really want to be infuriated, go back and watch the Oklahoma State game and watch the line. There's a few plays where it's clearly a running play the whole way and we have lineman standing around just watching the play and watching the running back get blown up behind the LOS.

mschmitty17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2017
Des Moines
I would love for someone to look at each game this year and see how many times we have ran up the middle and how many yards we've gained. I bet it would be under 3 yards per carry. Just maddening that Campbell/Manning insist on Iowa State being a "power running team" when it clearly does not work for us. The decision to run up the middle in the redzone four consecutive times (ending in a turnover on downs) was incredibly maddening, Texas Tech had to be pretty happy with that play-calling.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I would love for someone to look at each game this year and see how many times we have ran up the middle and how many yards we've gained. I bet it would be under 3 yards per carry. Just maddening that Campbell/Manning insist on Iowa State being a "power running team" when it clearly does not work for us. The decision to run up the middle in the redzone four consecutive times (ending in a turnover on downs) was incredibly maddening, Texas Tech had to be pretty happy with that play-calling.
And how many of those were preceded by the TE motioning to the off tackle position and drawing one or two more defenders to the box.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

It was a direct repeat of OSU, KU, and K-State. A carbon copy which is why I'm more frustrated with the lack of accountability if the problem is execution, lack of adjustments to scheme to better match with our players' abilities, and our stubbornness to adjust in games.

This is why people are so frustrated. I can forgive drops, bad plays, INTs, etc. But our overall approach to offense has been proven to be **** with this group of players and yet this staff is like "oh well, we are determined our system is correct and will continue on with the same approach".

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I would guess the players probably feel the same way, Bruns being a former player.

As frustrated, upset, angry, etc as we are all about the offense... the players are living it. I feel for them, they are doing their best but just being set up for failure.
This. This right here is why I am so upset with this staff and am ready to move on.

They wasted a complete year. Instead of adjusting to reality and making best use of what we had, they just tried the same dumb things, over, and over, and over.

And we still can't run a 2 minute drill or avoid procedure penalties in year 7.

Another thing, did you know Charlie Kolar's brother was at ISU for a year? John, a QB? Imagine never letting him even attempt a pass to his brother. That really bothers me still.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
It was a direct repeat of OSU, KU, and K-State. A carbon copy which is why I'm more frustrated with the lack of accountability if the problem is execution, lack of adjustments to scheme to better match with our players' abilities, and our stubbornness to adjust in games.

This is why people are so frustrated. I can forgive drops, bad plays, INTs, etc. But our overall approach to offense has been proven to be **** with this group of players and yet this staff is like "oh well, we are determined our system is correct and will continue on with the same approach".
Isn't CampbellBall fun?

My favorite is when the press points that out and we get to listen to Matt's excuses.

An entire season wasted due to arrogance and hubris.

$4 Million to Matty and, what, $800,000 to Manning?

That is a lot of money.

Reactions: SpringCreekCY

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
if we want to be a power running team, than maybe look at what Minnesota does. They have lost some games, but they have also have a lot of injuries. But I really like their scheme. They bullied Iowa's defense all over the field on Saturday.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I have wondered a few times this year if it would be easier to stomach the season if the whole team sucked instead of just the offense. If the D was bad and the team was losing by 15-20 each game would it be easier to take?

Because the D is elite and keeps this team in games right until the very end we wonder what could have been each week. Thats whats frustrating.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The deja vu was maddeningnything.

This x 1000. I feel like the only thing that changes from week to week is how exhausted I am. What I'm seeing on the field is the same every week, same players, same mistakes, same everything. I don't envy anyone who has to talk about this team publicly, I have no idea how you come up with anything when nothing changes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
Good staffs/coaches "self scout" themselves to see tendencies in how they call plays and the efficacy of the plays the call. i.e. why is red zone offense so bad- they look at all red zone plays and see why it's bad and change. It is SO easy to do so with the scouting software they use. All you have to do is type in the situations you want to scout and all video of those plays will show up- either play call or down and distance.
Self scouting is a humbling thing because what you "thought" would work might not be working and it can be an ego thing. I have no way of knowing if they're doing it- I would imagine they are. If they are and are still doing things the same way it is more troubling to me because they are unwilling to change things.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
This. This right here is why I am so upset with this staff and am ready to move on.

They wasted a complete year. Instead of adjusting to reality and making best use of what we had, they just tried the same dumb things, over, and over, and over.

And we still can't run a 2 minute drill or avoid procedure penalties in year 7.

Another thing, did you know Charlie Kolar's brother was at ISU for a year? John, a QB? Imagine never letting him even attempt a pass to his brother. That really bothers me still.

You are very anti-Matt Campbell. Why? The dude has the best half decade stretch of any coach, got us to a Fiesta Bowl win which was unthinkable 5 years ago. And because he had one bad season, you want him fired?? You won't even give him a chance to make program corrections? That's insane and 100% unreasonable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron