Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You bet it was, and I listened to this.

One comment from Bruns was especially intriguing regarding the use of our H back Jared Rus against OSU (and all season).

He said when we plod Jared Rus from one side of the line and then motion him to the other side it always brings the safety on D from that side from pass coverage pre snap - to inside the box pre snap sensing a run to that side.

Predictable crap like this kills our running game. It is window dressing that doesn't help - and worse than that, it actually helps the D coordinator on the other side showing them what we are about to do.

With TE - why not use Tyler Moore more often or even an Easton Dean. Even if they can't bang in the block game like Rus at least they are a THREAT to go down the field and catch a pass.

Just shows the offense is as bad as our defense is good. Heacock is a wizard at disguising what we are doing. Manning is horrible at getting creative in the run game and other teams just know what he is going to do.

One more point - the shotgun handoff up the middle cannot be our go to run play when it rarely works. I am just sick of it. If you have a subpar line we cannot be predictable.
I wonder how many times we run into a pile when X has man coverage.
Zone blocking in short yardage sounds like a disaster, and in general has been in any yardage.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone1209

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I wonder how many times we run into a pile when X has man coverage.
Zone blocking in short yardage sounds like a disaster, and in general has been in any yardage.
Happens way too often.

If teams are stacking the middle when we are in shotgun on first down - where are the screen passes to a Stanley, Noel, or whomever laterally? That would loosen the D from bunching up the middle.

I'm sure Rus is a great kid and a phenomenal student athlete and ambassador to the program. But when we use him series after series of terrible running plays, where is the benefit? Use an extra receiver out there or a different TE. Tyler Moore is 250 lbs, a much better athlete than Rus, and probably ok at run blocking at this point.

Reactions: simply1

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Bruns had a similar review a couple games ago. Seems like nothing has been fixed. People talk about how we don't have as much talent as other teams and while that may be true to an extent we can't also have predictable and crappy schemes that make it even harder on us.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Bruns had a similar review a couple games ago. Seems like nothing has been fixed. People talk about how we don't have as much talent as other teams and while that may be true to an extent we can't also have predictable and crappy schemes that make it even harder on us.
KU has been running all over many teams in the league this year. We are not behind them in talent. We may not have the talent to win the league, but I don't think anyone expects us to do that either. We have the best defense in the league. Given that, we should have enough talent on offense to be middle of the pack in the league. The issue here is not talent.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Jesus, he basically lit up the offense. He's correct. Surprised he did though. Basically said what I did and more on the offense in a thread post game

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I don't know how to diagnose but recognized we had been tipping our "pitches" with personnel years ago. Again, didn't know enough to articulate but when certain guys lined in certain formations I knew what was going to happen.

That's without access to game film or any real knowledge of the ins/outs of scheming and how to scout.

Seems like our elite talent masked this past 4 years or was able to overcome.

Now to see what happens.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
KU has been running all over many teams in the league this year. We are not behind them in talent. We may not have the talent to win the league, but I don't think anyone expects us to do that either. We have the best defense in the league. Given that, we should have enough talent on offense to be middle of the pack in the league. The issue here is not talent.
One thing that makes the contrast between offense and defense is that it is a lot easier to be successful on offense with less talent than defense. You can scheme your way to success on offense with less talented guys. On defense that only gets you so far, as in the you still have to read, react and make a play. Obviously everything is easier with talent, but there have been some dynamic offenses in years past at programs that don’t get a lot of talent. Defense is a lot more talent driven. Heacock is an absolute wizard.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Jesus, he basically lit up the offense. He's correct. Surprised he did though. Basically said what I did and more on the offense in a thread post game
I wouldn't give him too much credit. He was forced to criticize the offense. If it didn't, his credibility would evaporate. Below are the latest offensive and special teams stats. They've been this bad for weeks.

• Rush Offense: #118
  • Pass Offense: #32
  • Total Offense: #84
  • Scoring Offense: #107
  • Passing Yards per Completion: #124 @ 9.87
  • Red Zone Offense: Tied @ #105
  • Sacks Allowed: Tied @ #81
  • Tackles for Loss Allowed: Tied @ #85
  • Turnover Margin: Tied @ #104

• Blocked Kicks Allowed: Tied @ #122
  • Blocked Punts Allowed: Tied @ #127
  • Punt Return Yards: #101
  • Punt Return Defense: #6
  • Net Punting: #63
  • Kickoff Return Yards: #126
  • Kickoff Return Defense: #48

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wouldn't give him too much credit. He was forced to criticize the offense. If it didn't, his credibility would evaporate. Below are the latest offensive and special teams stats. They've been this bad for weeks.

I couldn’t agree more. Why is he getting credit for pointing out things now that a great majority of us saw four games into the season?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I've noticed the same thing with this WR group. X is giving every ounce of effort he can and then there's a lot of guys that get beat to the ball regularly and are getting out of bounds as fast as they can on the rare instance where they do catch it. That position group is scary, I hope there are some young guys getting ready.

It's similar to a lot of the breakdowns he's done, mostly because the offense is having the exact same issues. Not just talent issues, just basic fundamentals that still aren't even being attempted at times. That's been the most exasperating part, it's a rebuilding year where I just haven't seen much building on the offense, just the same problems from the same people all year.

Reactions: isutrevman

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Well yes, it actually went beyond that though. Like he called the 4th down play "the 2nd worst playcall he's ever seen in his life"

Was actually critical of coaching and players. Granted, he's way behind the curve on that. But he finally did it

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
If Jeff Saturday can come in and get the Colts a win. Maybe we can put Bruns in as OL Coach and get this cleaned up in these last 2 games.

Reactions: HouClone

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I agree with most of what he said, but to his point on Purdy I think there is a lot of revisionist history going on there and I think Chris said something similar on the pod with Blum. Most final drives with Purdy when we were down a score ended up in a turnover or no points. Seems like a consistent problem within the program.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I think it was Phil Parker of Iowa who said unless ISU goes tempo they usually have a pretty good idea what they are going to run every play.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If Jeff Saturday can come in and get the Colts a win. Maybe we can put Bruns in as OL Coach and get this cleaned up in these last 2 games.

Why would Brun's want to give up his day job to coach?

Coach Mac tried to get me into coaching but it's not for me. No desire to work from 5 AM to 10PM, no desire to travel around recruiting, etc. Yeah it's nice money but you pretty much have no free time to enjoy stuff outside of football.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I agree with most of what he said, but to his point on Purdy I think there is a lot of revisionist history going on there and I think Chris said something similar on the pod with Blum. Most final drives with Purdy when we were down a score ended up in a turnover or no points. Seems like a consistent problem within the program.
This.

We have always looked frantic and unprepared during the 2 minute drill.

And yes, this year's team had the talent to at least make the CCG.

• Useful
Reactions: davegilbertson

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron