BRE=100%

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I’m a fan for life just seeing how he was with the kids this summer at camps and stuff. Between Jones and Diew you have two outstanding Cyclone ambassadors.

Are they the kind of person kids flock to because of the vibe they give? There are people that are just that way.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Does he not want to be called Big Rob Energy anymore? Which is fine. I just noticed Heft on the radio correcting himself when he half said BRE. Robert Jones does sound more mature.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think Big Rob was really a foundational piece of the culture and attitude that TJ wanted to bring to this program. I think most of us weren't sure what TJ saw in him when he brought him in (just looking at the stats and where he had been playing), but it's very apparent to me now.
Great observation!

Big Rob was one of the very first recruits TJ brought to ISU. After Prohm's disaster final season, our cupboard was so bare that TJ just needed bodies to fill a roster.

It's so cool how huge a role Big Rob has played in one of greatest program turnarounds in college basketball history. Would make a great movie. :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does he not want to be called Big Rob Energy anymore? Which is fine. I just noticed Heft on the radio correcting himself when he half said BRE. Robert Jones does sound more mature.

I noticed when he comes he is announced as Robert Jones. But BRE was easy to type and we all knew who the thread was about

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
As for me and my house, we call him BASKETBALL JONES. Although some have been known to shout "BOB!" when he FG's or RB's. We also shout "MOM!" when you-know-who cans a three.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Amazing the improvement that kid has made.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Are they the kind of person kids flock to because of the vibe they give? There are people that are just that way.

Pretty much. At the Niang camp kids could answer trivia questions and get a chance to play Rob one on one. He was awesome about it and gave the kids some "hope" they could score on him before gently crushing their dreams. My daughter played him one on one and he was faking being juked by her "spin" move... he made sure he got hand on her shot though because the internet lives forever.

Really nice guy.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Last year his first game was perfect from the line.
The rest of the season he shot 38%.

I don't have video at the ready for a side-by-side comparison, but he still has 2 major flaws in his FT that I see. The timing from when he starts the shot after dipping the ball as well as how long he lingers at his set point above his head each vary a lot. The dip way more so.
In other words, he drops the ball below his waist, waits a random amount of time, brings the ball up to his head and also pauses sometimes for way too long. His rhythm is unpredictable, and this puts 2 hitches in his routine. That's why he is abysmal from the line.

Having said that, I enjoy watching him play and still see his on-court contributions as an overall positive. When the wife is watching a game with me I often have to defend and explain his antics and style.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Rob being able to play a more natural role has done wonders for him. With this team he can come in and provide energy instead of having to slog trying to put 30 minutes in a game.

It’s clearly working as he has been tremendous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron