BLUM: Hold your calendars for Dec. 2nd?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Great article, and I love the thinking! Instead of settling for six wins, why not envision a season for the ages? I always love it when a team goes for a touchdown on 3rd and 1, instead of just trying to get the first down. I agree with you; with the level of football this team has played this year (and last!), they are much better than many realize. They were in position to have more wins last year, but couldn't hold on to substantial late-game leads, against very good teams. (OSU and Baylor are the two I remember off the top of my head?)

Also, I hate being a nazi, but noticed a typo: in the 8th paragraph, it says "tenants" when the word should be tenets. Just wanted to mention it, in case you felt like editing the article. :)

IMO, the past two teams should have won 7-8 games from a talent standpoint. This team is vastly superior in one area and that's DL which, I would say, if someone did these types of analytics, accounts for as many win shares as any position group out there. A good (not great yet) DL is probably worth at least two games. So, winning 10 games shouldn't have been out of the question theoretically but we gave 2 away so that's not likely to happen. Still, if you can get to 8 or 9, that sets you up really well for next year when you're replacing 8 starters and almost all of them have someone right behind them who could be even better. I'm just not seeing any drop off for 2018 in really any position although having young safeties worries me a little.

Reactions: harimad

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
@brentblum

208-Old-School-quotes.gif

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Amazing what playing sound fundamental football can do I really am impressed with how exceptional our tackling has been

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I believe, Blum. Pass me whatever you're having.

It would be just amazing to see this team put together a year similar to that 9 - 3 year that team in the early 2000s (might have been 2000) put together.

Regardless, I hope people take a step back at the end of the year and assess their expectations based on what they felt (and what was reasonable) at the beginning of the year. Reading some posts, I get the impression some posters will be disappointed with 6 wins. That's nuts in my book. Campbell just remade a roster in a tough conference with a historically below average Power 5 program and took them to a bowl. People shouldn't reset their expectations just because we've had a week or two with unbelievable success. You need to take a "totality of the circumstances" viewpoint and recognize getting to 6 wins is a serious accomplishment in year 2!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This is exactly how I feel Blum. I'm not looking at our schedule saying how many wins might we get? I'm looking at it going, how many loses might we get? There are no auto loses. We can win this season out, and I truly believe that.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: Jerms and aauummm

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Should have/could be 6-0 right now. This team has some talent, and outside of the OL can compete with anyone.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Some of the Negative Nancy's in the bowl prediction thread need to read Blum's article.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Some of the Negative Nancy's in the bowl prediction thread need to read Blum's article.

Or Blum needs to read the negative Nancys. ;) I guess we'll all know in a few weeks, just who was right and who was wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron