Better Call Saul

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Can someone explain to me what the long scene with Gustavo drinking the wine was all about?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I loved how anti-climatic that was.

Everyone expected some big crazy thing to go wrong with Kim, where she died, went into witness protection, ran off with Lalo, whatever.

Instead she just did what most actual people would do - she hit her breaking point, and she left.

It's these kind of zigs when everyone thinks you're going to zag that make me think Gilligan is the ******* goat.

Totally agree with this, it is actually the most likely way it would happen given the circumstances of her living through everything.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Plus he isn’t ready to move on after the cartel killed his last partner and that’s why he left.

This makes sense. I was leaning towards he just doesn't let anyone in because he would have to let his guard down and the Lalo situation might have taught him some lessons about that.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I think Kim winds up in Omaha, ordering a cinnamon roll, grabs Jimmy and the two of them drive off to Alaska, where they somehow meet up with Jesse Pinkman in the future. And then spin this into an entirely new show where they help smuggle gold from the Yukon with the guys from the TV show "Gold Rush".

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Gus poisons Don Eladio with an expensive rare wine as a toast. You can see that Gus is formulating a plan. We know the future.
Yes, that's it!! It makes perfect sense now. Thank you!

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Gus poisons Don Eladio with an expensive rare wine as a toast. You can see that Gus is formulating a plan. We know the future.
It was tequila not wine. The scene last night was all about Gus going all in on running the cartel and realizing he can't have a relationship because he doesn't want to put his partner in danger again because of who Gus is.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
It was tequila not wine. The scene last night was all about Gus going all in on running the cartel and realizing he can't have a relationship because he doesn't want to put his partner in danger again because of who Gus is.
The fact it was tequila isn't important. It seems the point of this scene is to show where/how Gus came up with the idea of sharing a rare bottle of tequila (poisoned) with Don Eladio and his gang.

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I guess Jimmy used the money from the Sandpiper settlement to buy the mansion, which I think is the same one he toured with Kim earlier in the season.

Reactions: Cyclone06

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I loved how anti-climatic that was.

Everyone expected some big crazy thing to go wrong with Kim, where she died, went into witness protection, ran off with Lalo, whatever.

Instead she just did what most actual people would do - she hit her breaking point, and she left.

It's these kind of zigs when everyone thinks you're going to zag that make me think Gilligan is the ******* goat.
everything in the show could be done that way. Howard hit his breaking point and got buried under a meth lab. Completely unsatisfying Kim exit if that’s how it goes, on par with botching got ending.
They have 4 episodes to make up for it, and I expect they will, but it will be because this is a misdirection if it works out.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

This is a great point. It was an interesting scene because Gus takes four minutes to celebrate a little before slipping back into his total hatred mode for familia Salamanca. He cannot even stand to finish enjoying the moment.

The zafiro anejo tequila used by Gus to kill Don Eladio is the same $50 a shot stuff Jimmy and Kim hustled out of the stockbroker in the restaurant early in the series when they pretended to be siblings with a big inheritance to invest. Jimmy saves the cork as a memory, but when police toss his house in the cold open to this season, you see it laying in the street.

Jimmy was going to go buy a bottle this season to celebrate their hustle of Howard and realized while waiting in line that the retired judge at the center of the scam was in the store with a broken arm.

It isn't a real product, but it is pretty central to the BCS/BB universe somehow.

Reactions: Cyclone06