Bee Hive

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Was that pre ratings? Reading through it there were little if any ratings compared to now.

ah, maybe it was pre-migration then. It did seem light on ratings overall because that thread should have been full of them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is the kind of thread that I don't mind someone resurrecting.

source.gif

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bump. Yellow jacket season.

Peeps started working on a remodel at my house today and the project manager pointed out a yellow jacket nest in the front yard right where she parked. Three feet from the curb and three feet into the neighbors yard so not sure how to deal with that. Did text him. Hope he hires someone to make the kill and doesn't mow over it.

One of the actual bastards in the yard:
yellow jacket in ground cf scale.jpg

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
No yellow jackets for me, but I've had a few blue wasps that hang around my front door. I think they're blue mud-daubers from googling it, and apparently they're not aggressive, but combined with the cicada killers that also hang around out front, I just avoid this area.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
No yellow jackets for me, but I've had a few blue wasps that hang around my front door. I think they're blue mud-daubers from googling it, and apparently they're not aggressive, but combined with the cicada killers that also hang around out front, I just avoid this area.
I have a couple of Cicada Killer nests in my yard this year. They are scary looking. Here are a couple double teaming a cicada
IMG_20200712_082121.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Bump. Yellow jacket season.

Peeps started working on a remodel at my house today and the project manager pointed out a yellow jacket nest in the front yard right where she parked. Three feet from the curb and three feet into the neighbors yard so not sure how to deal with that. Did text him. Hope he hires someone to make the kill and doesn't mow over it.

One of the actual bastards in the yard:
View attachment 73971
oh boy, I wondered why this thread was bumped. Such a traumatic day. I feel like once a year I need to thank @cowgirl836 for saving my life.

Also, boxster:

Do. NOT. ****. Around. With. Those.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
oh boy, I wondered why this thread was bumped. Such a traumatic day. I feel like once a year I need to thank @cowgirl836 for saving my life.

Also, boxster:

Nope, not planning to. Might even hire someone even though it's the neighbors yard.

Years back there was a yuge wasp nest hanging from my silver maple. Neighbor back than was very allergic and even carried an EpiPen. I called in some pro killers.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nope, not planning to. Might even hire someone even though it's the neighbors yard.

Years back there was a yuge wasp nest hanging from my silver maple. Neighbor back than was very allergic and even carried an EpiPen. I called in some pro killers.
Money well spent. Parts of me is still especially traumatized from not doing that.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
Found this nest on the back of the property last week. Bald faced hornets. First cousins to yellow jackets.

Attachments

• 20200727_114907.jpg
    20200727_114907.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 86

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Also, boxster:

Just name me in the will and I'll consider the debt paid.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Box, you bought an LP burner!!!! WHY IS THAT NOT YOUR FIRST THOUGHT!!! I'm losing a little respect there for you.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They look like something out of a nightmare, but I think they're actually beneficial to have around.
When they started buzzing around I looked them up. They are pretty harmless to us. Just scary looking. From what I understand they'll move on after a month or so. Hopefully as I am getting new siding in a couple months and don't want them buzzing around the workers and I would rather not kill them.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I have a couple of Cicada Killer nests in my yard this year. They are scary looking. Here are a couple double teaming a cicada
View attachment 73972

They look nasty but are harmless, the only issue with these is that the things that eat them are very dangerous. They are Cow Killer Ants, you don't wanna tangle with them. They attack the Cicada killers in the same manner the Cicada killers go after Cicada's. If you have CK's for more than a couple years, these things start showing up.

maxresdefault.jpg

K_T-bgd3T-JQXTgpfGxKCF7YXYiGDD68ch4R52uOC5V3wHt1K7jBsch-up8gDZq-_a53FeNGPDyU_ULnEn-iDyotbeQdim7M_5VGIX2Vwl8GByIQ6fkPcQ

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron