Bee Hive

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They look nasty but are harmless, the only issue with these is that the things that eat them are very dangerous. They are Cow Killer Ants, you don't wanna tangle with them. They attack the Cicada killers in the same manner the Cicada killers go after Cicada's. If you have CK's for more than a couple years, these things start showing up.

maxresdefault.jpg

K_T-bgd3T-JQXTgpfGxKCF7YXYiGDD68ch4R52uOC5V3wHt1K7jBsch-up8gDZq-_a53FeNGPDyU_ULnEn-iDyotbeQdim7M_5VGIX2Vwl8GByIQ6fkPcQ
ufsXCjv.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Took down a wasp nest last night. Was out of carb cleaner so I went with the Ortho Home Defense Spray. Probably should have put gas in a spray bottle. It took the wasps down but did not keeel (as Doug Marcida would say on Forged and Fire). Was able to curb stop a couple, but there must have been 30-40 larvae at various stage of growth with a couple trying to emerge. My size 13 boot took care of it very quickly. I was just amazed at the size of the nest. This is like the third nest I have taken down in the last month!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Took down a wasp nest last night. Was out of carb cleaner so I went with the Ortho Home Defense Spray. Probably should have put gas in a spray bottle. It took the wasps down but did not keeel (as Doug Marcida would say on Forged and Fire). Was able to curb stop a couple, but there must have been 30-40 larvae at various stage of growth with a couple trying to emerge. My size 13 boot took care of it very quickly. I was just amazed at the size of the nest. This is like the third nest I have taken down in the last month!

I got stung last week by a wasp, in the ribs. It stinking hurt. All I had to defend myself to fight them afterwards was WD40. First it ticked them off, then the second blast knocked them to the ground and I would start driving them into the dirt one by one. Last one took off and would come back every so often until I got the tractor moved.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Box, you bought an LP burner!!!! WHY IS THAT NOT YOUR FIRST THOUGHT!!! I'm losing a little respect there for you.

Yeah, but it's in the neighbors yard and under their small juniper tree. Too close to the branches as I learned setting my juniper shrub on fire. "Dude, what are you doing!!!" "Ah, just burning down your landscape, no worries, man, no worries."

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
They look nasty but are harmless, the only issue with these is that the things that eat them are very dangerous. They are Cow Killer Ants, you don't wanna tangle with them. They attack the Cicada killers in the same manner the Cicada killers go after Cicada's. If you have CK's for more than a couple years, these things start showing up.

maxresdefault.jpg

K_T-bgd3T-JQXTgpfGxKCF7YXYiGDD68ch4R52uOC5V3wHt1K7jBsch-up8gDZq-_a53FeNGPDyU_ULnEn-iDyotbeQdim7M_5VGIX2Vwl8GByIQ6fkPcQ

Interesting...I have had cicada killers in my yard for a number of years, and I've never seen those.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Interesting...I have had cicada killers in my yard for a number of years, and I've never seen those.

Lucky, as part of my job, I manage a sensory garden for people with tbi and developmental disabilities, we have a great garden that has created a really cool, natural ecosystem but part of that means that every few years, we have to deal with these guys. I really try to not use chemicals unless I have no other choice but I have to break out the big guns for these guys. I've done lots of research, spoke to experts and basically what I've found is, the only ways to get rid of them are to go nuclear with spray or eliminate their food source. Spraying is the only guaranteed solution. It's always an ordeal and while I've never been stung, things get a bit hairy when they realize what you're trying to do.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I got stung last week by a wasp, in the ribs. It stinking hurt. All I had to defend myself to fight them afterwards was WD40. First it ticked them off, then the second blast knocked them to the ground and I would start driving them into the dirt one by one. Last one took off and would come back every so often until I got the tractor moved.

I opened my cabinet in the garage and WD40 was the first line of defense I saw but looked on top of the cabinet and saw the Home Defense gallon jug.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Brake cleaner kills insects instantly. It doesn’t leave behind any residue either. I use that stuff all the time on our wasps.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bump. Yellow jacket season.

Peeps started working on a remodel at my house today and the project manager pointed out a yellow jacket nest in the front yard right where she parked. Three feet from the curb and three feet into the neighbors yard so not sure how to deal with that. Did text him. Hope he hires someone to make the kill and doesn't mow over it.

One of the actual bastards in the yard:
View attachment 73971

See that little entrance hole, well, it's the size of a softball now. I think part of the ground above collated into the nest, you can see some nest top. Saw neighbor in yard and walked him over to show him (had sent him the pic above three weeks ago). Think he is going to call an exterminator.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
See that little entrance hole, well, it's the size of a softball now. Saw neighbor in yard and walked him over to show him (had sent him the pic above three weeks ago). Think he is going to call an exterminator.
Need me to PM my number? I’ll take care of those mofos

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Need me to PM my number? I’ll take care of those mofos

We'll see what neighbor does since it is not in my yard. I'd be tempted to do a soap and water night soak with a screen since it is a nice flat open area. Maybe.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
See that little entrance hole, well, it's the size of a softball now. I think part of the ground above collated into the nest, you can see some nest top. Saw neighbor in yard and walked him over to show him (had sent him the pic above three weeks ago). Think he is going to call an exterminator.
1598118625582.png

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and JM4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron