Assistant Coach Possibilities Thread

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Re: Grayer

Grayer and Hoiberg are my two favorite Cyclone MBB players. With the passion they had for ISU when they played and the obvious passion they still have for Cyclone nation, I have no doubt they will turn this around and make all of us proud.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM

This.

We need to take care of the guy. I mean I grew up in my driveway imagining myself as Jeff Grayer (or Magic - but more often Grayer). It would be a travesty to have to kick him to the curb.

That being said we need as much experience as possible around Fred. With a solid staff he will be successful.

One a side note though is there a limit to the number of assistant coaches you can have on a staff? Can we fill the staff with solid assistants and create a new spot for Grayer to learn/gain experience and eventually move into a bigger role?

You know now that you mention it, I've read that football programs like Alabama's use 50 yr old guys who have had coaching experience as GAs to get around the number of assistants limits... We could do that with Grayer as well, couldn't we?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Not good, unless it is as a graduate assistant...
Maybe he can get his sons to walk-on at ISU.

Given the experiences Fred lacks, the assistants should have proven success in recruiting or X & O / game management. Grayer provides neither.

Last edited:

istater7

Mar 31, 2010

I think grayer should be the president of basketball operations..is there an opening there or am i wrong?

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006

The only problem I see with Director of Ops is the lack of college coaching experience he has and Fred might really want and need someone with experience with that spot

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Whats the chance of Johnny Orr being some sort of a consultant?

I was thinking about this tonight, I was shocked at the hire, but its growing on me. I wonder if Johnny Orr will be a consultant or mentor for Hoiberg, maybe as a part of the staff in the first year or a daily call for issues he may encounter? I think with the lack of coaching experience, Johnny Orr could be a real part of this transition to coach for Fred.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Re: Whats the chance of Johnny Orr being some sort of a consultant?

I was thinking about this tonight, I was shocked at the hire, but its growing on me. I wonder if Johnny Orr will be a consultant or mentor for Hoiberg, maybe as a part of the staff in the first year or a daily call for issues he may encounter? I think with the lack of coaching experience, Johnny Orr could be a real part of this transition to coach for Fred.

Might not be a bad idea to have Orr spend some time with him. With that said a lot of things have changed since Orr coached. Still, not a bad idea.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006

He's 82 years old. I wouldn't expect him to do much other than be there to answer any questions from Fred, but even then, he hasn't coached for 20 years.

Reactions: coachdags

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago

I can see then talking on the phone, having lunch and playing a round or two of golf, but that's about all I'd bet.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

He's 82 years old. I wouldn't expect him to do much other than be there to answer any questions from Fred, but even then, he hasn't coached for 20 years.
Does age really matter? Joe Pa is like 100, the values and pointers of the game never change IMO.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if he was consulted a little on the hire. I think he really tries to keep his distance so I am not sure he would like to be contacted and involved.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes

Johnny will be in Florida during the season. The game, players and drama have changed sooo much since he's been in the game I don't see him adding much?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Reggie Theus mention on HN...

I was curious to see what the "dark side" had to say about the Hoiberg hire & came across this on Hawkeyenation...

From a poster named Gohawk123
"When I heard they were hiring Hoiberg...but now I'm not so sure if this is a good thing. One of my Clone friends (who is well connected) says Hoiberg's salary is going to be very low a ton of money is going to be thrown at assistants. According to him both assistant coach positions will be filled by current NBA assistants...one being Reggie Theus. That would make things interesting."

I'd be extremely excited if this were true. Don't know anything about the poster of this message so it could be that he is just blowin' smoke. Just thought I'd post it here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron