Assistant Coach Possibilities Thread

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Re: Grayer

I'm hoping as operations. I think Freddy needs all those assistant spots filled by people who have college coaching experience.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago

Besides being one of the all-time greatest Cyclone B-ball players, what does he bring to the table as a coach? Why is it good that he's around besides the fact that hes a famous alumni?

Reactions: nickcyv

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ

Fantastic. Now it's time to loosen the pursestrings and lock up the best X's and O's assistant coach money can find.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines

I'm hoping as operations. I think Freddy needs all those assistant spots filled by people who have college coaching experience.

Exactly!

I honestly don't believe he will be retained as an assistant coach. Possibly director of basketball operations or a similar role but I just don't think it is wise to keep Grayer as an assistant when he doesn't have the coaching experience (especially when Hoiberg has no coaching experience).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I'm glad. I think Jeff brings similar passion about ISU to what Fred brings, and should be a great recruiter for the Michigan area. As a salesman myself, I know that people are successful when they love what they're doing, and believe in what they're selling. I think Jeff gives us this.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

I was really feeling bad for the guy. I want what's best for the team, I hope Grayer is just that if he is indeed staying.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I'm glad. I think Jeff brings similar passion about ISU to what Fred brings, and should be a great recruiter for the Michigan area. As a salesman myself, I know that people are successful when they love what they're doing, and believe in what they're selling. I think Jeff gives us this.

I hope he's DOBO and not allowed to recruit.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa

These guys have been around coaching their entire lives. They are smart and care about ISU. While I appreciate the need for experience.... passion and relating to players will be a huge benefit... something we didn't have with Greg. If they can bring those characteristics to the table, I think the X's & O's will work themselves out. Again, I understand the need for experience, but these guys know basketball and all have been coached by greats. If they are smart (which I think they are), they can translate those learnings to their upcoming players. I think a new approach is a good strategy and the passion around ISU MBB will be as huge... this should be fun.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

This.

We need to take care of the guy. I mean I grew up in my driveway imagining myself as Jeff Grayer (or Magic - but more often Grayer). It would be a travesty to have to kick him to the curb.

That being said we need as much experience as possible around Fred. With a solid staff he will be successful.

One a side note though is there a limit to the number of assistant coaches you can have on a staff? Can we fill the staff with solid assistants and create a new spot for Grayer to learn/gain experience and eventually move into a bigger role?