Assistant Coach Possibilities Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Reggie Theus mention on HN...

That would be brilliant. I hope it happens. There will be guys that know what they are doing guiding Fred through the process of being a D-1 coach.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I was curious to see what the "dark side" had to say about the Hoiberg hire & came across this on Hawkeyenation...

From a poster named Gohawk123
"When I heard they were hiring Hoiberg...but now I'm not so sure if this is a good thing. One of my Clone friends (who is well connected) says Hoiberg's salary is going to be very low a ton of money is going to be thrown at assistants. According to him both assistant coach positions will be filled by current NBA assistants...one being Reggie Theus. That would make things interesting."

I'd be extremely excited if this were true. Don't know anything about the poster of this message so it could be that he is just blowin' smoke. Just thought I'd post it here.

That is the garbage being collected from THESE message boards (CF and rivals). And they were from 3-4 different posters so someone collected flat-out unsubstantiated rumors, packaged them as real info and peddled the crap elsewhere.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

Reggie Theus was a head coach at the college level and at the NBA level, would he really be an assistant under Hoiberg? don't see it happening...i mean look at the source. If it did I would be very impressed though.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

That would be brilliant. I hope it happens. There will be guys that know what they are doing guiding Fred through the process of being a D-1 coach.

Brilliant? This would be incredible. People were throwing Theus out as a head coach, plus some wanted TJ Otz to stay as a coach. Add in one more NBA assistant (like this is saying) and you would have four head coaching candidates, with Hoiberg being the least qualified. Who says that is a bad thing, he could be a great figurehead of the program. Loving this hire more and more. Can't wait for the presser tomorrow.

IGotThis

Apr 15, 2010
Michalek as assistant?

What would people think about this if he came to be an assistant?

He would be a good bigs coach and I would imagine he would have recruiting ties in Europe maybe and in Iowa...

I know for a fact he is an assistant coach for one of the better 2A programs in the state...Tri-Center who is always competitive...

I've played against his teams before and I would guarantee it would be an exciting style of play (guards have on-ball pressure..lots of steals)..also he brings a Phil Jackson triangle offense with him...next best thing :jimlad:

I think even if he wasn't an assistant he could have a role on the staff somewhere..

what do ya'll think?

IGotThis

Apr 15, 2010
Re: Michalek as assistant?

also I have a "tie-in" with Julius....so maybe I have too muh kool-aid..I think it could work out.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Now it has started. Every guy Hoiberg ever played with at Iowa State is now an assistant coach candidate. Assistant coach in 2A? Sign him up!!!!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

We are willing to try anything after the regime change.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006

Not a chance. We need coaches that have college level experience with coaching and recruiting at this point.

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Not a chance. We need coaches that have college level experience with coaching and recruiting at this point.

we kept otz so at least we have a good recruiter there. we really need someone with big 12 coaching experience to be our assistant, at least one of them.

Clinton

Jul 16, 2009

If he's willing to be the head coach on the gayest tv show of all time, who's to say this isn't feasible?

cybirdie

May 25, 2006

check out this from wikipedia and pay close attention to the irony of the last two sentences.... Reggie Theus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reggie Wayne Theus (born October 13, 1957) is an assistant coach for the Minnesota Timberwolves. He is also an American retired basketball player and the former head coach for the NBA's Sacramento Kings.
He was born in Inglewood, California. Prior to taking over as the Kings' coach Theus coached New Mexico State University's men's basketball team. On March 31, 2005, NMSU hired the 13-year NBA veteran. In just his second year as head coach, Theus led NMSU to their 17th NCAA Tournament, their first tournament appearance since 1999, and coached NMSU to its 14th conference tournament title which earned them an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. He was also previously an assistant coach for the University of Louisville under Rick Pitino.
In his first season, Theus turned the Aggies from a 6-24 squad in 2004-05 to a 16-14 team in the 2005-06 season – matching the fifth best turn-around for a Division-I men's basketball team. Another achievement by Theus was the recruitment of Herb Pope for the 2007-2008 season, a 5 star recruit in the 2011 collegiate senior class. Pope is from Aliquippa, PA, and was recruited by national powerhouses such as Louisville, Memphis, Pittsburgh, and Texas. However, on the two-year anniversary of Theus' hiring at NMSU, Pope was shot four times at a party, putting a question mark on his temporary future in basketball until it became clear that Pope would be ready to play for his freshman season. Theus was briefly recruited to be the head coach at Creighton University when coach Dana Altman left for the University of Arkansas. However, Altman decided to return to Creighton after several days at Arkansas.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

No, absolutely horrible idea. We need someone with loads of college (hell even NBA) coaching experience. We cannot afford to load this staff with former players who have little coaching experience at a high level.

It's not going to happen. Sorry to burst your bubble

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

And here it keeps coming...unbridled excitement...we get all excited like Jo-Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet..."oh, my pretty little pet, I love you..."

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Thats ironic.:smile: Kind of like the PR/GC switch.

cybirdie

May 25, 2006

The greatest thing would be if Altman came back to Creighton now.......LOL now that would be Karma..........yes I know it won't happen, but crazier things have transpired

fact is crazier than fiction