Another Manning S^*T sandwich

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I think it's time it needs to be said, our running backs are really bad. Blame scheme, blocking, injuries, whatever, but they aren't getting it done at all. Teams have run all over defenses like Kansas and Oklahoma and yet we struggle to get 3ypc. A competent running game would ease some pressure off Dekkers.
While I don’t think the running backs are great, the offensive line is atrociously bad. Horribly coached at all aspects. The schemes that this staff run are awful, the technique of the lineman are awful, footwork is awful, and they seem to be man handled a lot of the time which also indicates poor strength and conditioning. Jirehl Brock looked pretty damn good early on, but as we saw with Breece and David under the Campbell era, he was forced to break multiple tackles and make plays out of nothing because of the horrid offensive line. Then he got injured and has looked bad ever since. The offensive line under Campbell has always been bad, but they’ve had two NFL starting caliber running backs to slightly hide just how bad they’ve been. It’s been exposed big time this season and if changes aren’t made, it’s a really bad sign for the future of this program.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Based on what I've seen this year, albeit limited, I'm not even sure what this team's strengths offensively really are. There's been a major lack of talent development, primarily at the OL level, interfering with all other parts of the team. It's just too many holes to fill.

Again, you're right, that comes down to coaching at the end of the day. Change needs made here, both in staff and in overall approach. QB coaching is part of this too -- Dekkers does not look like a guy in his 3rd year of the system.
Sadly, Dekkers looks EXACTLY like a guy in his 3rd year in the CMC system. Don't you get it? This is CampbellBall. Safe throws, either to the primary receiver the play was designed for, or the checkdown or safe, short receiver.

I believe the CMC offense has only 2 real options for the QB to consider on any passing down.

I also believe we telegraph our plays, big time.

Deep throws to open things up? 3rd reads that college qbs should be able to make? Nah. Gotta protect that ball.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
While I don’t think the running backs are great, the offensive line is atrociously bad. Horribly coached at all aspects. The schemes that this staff run are awful, the technique of the lineman are awful, footwork is awful, and they seem to be man handled a lot of the time which also indicates poor strength and conditioning. Jirehl Brock looked pretty damn good early on, but as we saw with Breece and David under the Campbell era, he was forced to break multiple tackles and make plays out of nothing because of the horrid offensive line. Then he got injured and has looked bad ever since. The offensive line under Campbell has always been bad, but they’ve had two NFL starting caliber running backs to slightly hide just how bad they’ve been. It’s been exposed big time this season and if changes aren’t made, it’s a rea lly bad sign for the future of this program.

Thank you! It can't just be me seeing the obvious, right? Not only that, but somebody or something about our offense is an easy tell for defenses.

Reactions: xboxfever

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
While I don’t think the running backs are great, the offensive line is atrociously bad. Horribly coached at all aspects. The schemes that this staff run are awful, the technique of the lineman are awful, footwork is awful, and they seem to be man handled a lot of the time which also indicates poor strength and conditioning. Jirehl Brock looked pretty damn good early on, but as we saw with Breece and David under the Campbell era, he was forced to break multiple tackles and make plays out of nothing because of the horrid offensive line. Then he got injured and has looked bad ever since. The offensive line under Campbell has always been bad, but they’ve had two NFL starting caliber running backs to slightly hide just how bad they’ve been. It’s been exposed big time this season and if changes aren’t made, it’s a really bad sign for the future of this program.
Brock has been running very stiff as of late. You can tell he's not 100%. Sadly, the RB room that a contingent of fans here on CF were touting as 4-deep after the first 3 games, probably is the worst RB room in a decade at ISU.

Reactions: xboxfever

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
This has been a Manning problem for as long as he's been here. There was a game against OSU a few years ago where they had Purdy throw something stupid like 50+ times despite gashing them on the ground. He hasn't been great, but I feel like the blame has to go to Manning because he's a QB killer
Don’t forget that Texas game years ago where he refused to run the ball with Montgomery all game and then in post game said he should have given him the ball more in hindsight despite everyone watching the game being mindblown that they weren’t getting him the ball. The guys an idiot who has no business being an OC at this level.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Perhaps so, how else does one explain not backfilling an OC position for a year on a Division 1 NCAA football team in a power 5 conference? I don’t know for sure though but imagine if the DC did this at the same time?
I still think Manning was sent on excursion for a year with Campbell always knowing he'd come back soon.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
This has been a Manning problem for as long as he's been here. There was a game against OSU a few years ago where they had Purdy throw something stupid like 50+ times despite gashing them on the ground. He hasn't been great, but I feel like the blame has to go to Manning because he's a QB killer
The game that Purdy threw 62 times Breece had 18 carries for 76 yards.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Maybe I'm old and feeling the weight of mortality. Or maybe I've been spoiled by our modest success in recent years compared to historical futility. Whatever the reason, I can no longer stomach terrible, losing ISU football. That's what our offense is and because of it are in the basement. It's not my job to fix it. It's also not my job to keep watching it. For a fan like me, a coach in Campbell's situation can provide actual results, or tempt me with hope. He's doing neither.

At this point, I'm coming to this site mostly for the off topic stuff.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
The game that Purdy threw 62 times Breece had 18 carries for 76 yards.
Oh you mean when we could run the ******* ball with our NFL caliber RB and mobile NFL caliber QB but opted instead to run these bizarre short passing route plays one of which was pick sixed for the winning margin for OSU? I remember Jay Jordan suggesting that play be removed from the playbook. I guess it’s still on the 3x5 card.

That was the start of that awesome 2-4 stretch in 2019 culminating in that wondrous bowl game against Norte Dame. That was definitely not in the close loss column.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Dekkers is 8th in attempts, let’s not crucify him yet. He shouldn’t have that high of usage.

Agree. Give him a running game that isn't dead on arrival, and another split second to pass, and let's see what happens. I think he is more than capable of success, but I don't think he can carry a bad offense all by himself. He isn't Superman.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You guys make it sound like no coaches are coaching special teams.

Whether its a dedicated coach or the current setup, the amount of time dedicated at each practice isn't changing.
Lol. The way Campbell does it now is how we did it in high school. Now Newton was ran like a D3 school basically when Jenkins was there but I would expect it to be a step up in D1 ffs. If Campbell is ok with our special teams that's a major problem.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Sadly, Dekkers looks EXACTLY like a guy in his 3rd year in the CMC system. Don't you get it? This is CampbellBall. Safe throws, either to the primary receiver the play was designed for, or the checkdown or safe, short receiver.

I believe the CMC offense has only 2 real options for the QB to consider on any passing down.

I also believe we telegraph our plays, big time.

Deep throws to open things up? 3rd reads that college qbs should be able to make? Nah. Gotta protect that ball.
Bolded: that's most average offenses. It's not like our OL gives time to go thru 4 reads and then break out of the pocket, we aren't Alabama.

Deep throws? We don't have a guy who can make them reliably. Dekkers' accuracy isn't nearly consistent enough for that. It's not even consistent on the short, easy throws. For every throw into a receivers numbers, there's two more at their feet and one 5 feet over their heads.

Also, there's no such thing as "CampbellBall". We've completely retooled our offensive kit at least 3 times since he's been here. Nothing about Campbell's ideal style of play says to throw the ball 50 times a game. That's what we're doing now.

And I thought I was the one overreacting.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's in Campbell's head now, that the fans and media want a special teams coach. Knowing this and knowing the ego and stubbornness of the man in charge, I put the odds of ever having a ST coach while Matt is in Ames at <10%.
I disagree that he would do something like that out of spite. If he doesn't improve his ST's, in the future, it's more likely that he is unwilling to hire the right set of coaches to do the job.

Maybe we are saying the same thing! Stubbornness, well, yes, if that is the case. Unwillingness to change his scheme, yes.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Deep throws? We don't have a guy who can make them reliably. Dekkers' accuracy isn't nearly consistent enough for that. It's not even consistent on the short, easy throws. For every throw into a receivers numbers, there's two more at their feet and one 5 feet over their heads.

I think HD will be a lot better with another half-second to set his feet and throw. I mean, that's every QB of course, but I think the vast majority of his short-arm and airmailed passes are due to being hurried / footwork. When he has had time, he has been just fine.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think HD will be a lot better with another half-second to set his feet and throw. I mean, that's every QB of course, but I think the vast majority of his short-arm and airmailed passes are due to being hurried / footwork. When he has had time, he has been just fine.
I've noticed this too, his footwork is all over the place. Shows up a lot on those short throws that land at guys' feet that I mentioned. At the end of the day, I do still place most of that on coaching -- some of it is experience and lack of help, but we should still be seeing some improvement here. Haven't seen a single bit, in fact it might be getting worse with more games.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Maybe I'm old and feeling the weight of mortality. Or maybe I've been spoiled by our modest success in recent years compared to historical futility. Whatever the reason, I can no longer stomach terrible, losing ISU football. That's what our offense is and because of it are in the basement. It's not my job to fix it. It's also not my job to keep watching it. For a fan like me, a coach in Campbell's situation can provide actual results, or tempt me with hope. He's doing neither.

At this point, I'm coming to this site mostly for the off topic stuff.

I feel all of this. When people say to me "remember where we were prior to Campbell and how bad things had been" it makes me cringe. I DO remember....I was in the stands for that crap. Thats why Im pissed right now. I see an Elite defense being wasted. I know how infrequent these opportunities are because I DO REMEMBER the decades of bad football.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron