ANOTHER Lipsey thread?! Sure!

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Does anyone have any doubt this kid will vastly improve his three point shooting over the summer?
I guarantee he’s going to be putting up a $hit ton of shots. It’s the only thing holding him back from being all-conference caliber when all is said and done. And the problems it causes elsewhere on the court for opposing defenses would be the biggest impact.

K State game was the most extreme example I’ve seen of defense not even bothering to guard it. Others are obviously not going out of their way to defend it, but K State so obviously didn’t care.

On the one late they left him absolutely wide open I’m glad Tamin didn’t take the bait because we didn’t need a three at that point. We needed to eat clock and get a good look which I think we did (if memory serves me correctly).

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
With the word "vastly" in there, I doubt it. But if he can bump up his ~25% 3-pt shooting to 30% (maybe that qualifies as vastly?), that will keep defenses a little more honest.
I'd say 33% or better qualifies. Putting up 500 shots a day over the summer tends to lead to vast improvement.

Guess you're in the no column.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Kstate was the first team to sag off that much in big 12 play. I do wonder if we will see more of it from teams the second time around now that it has shown up in game film.

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Just looked at his season stats. He is shooting 53 percent from the floor! Not so great from 3 point range but he takes less than one of those per game. And from 2-point range he is shooting at 57 percent! That is outstanding!
Tends to be high when all you shoot is layups.

Reactions: ZRF and Cjreimer

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Tyrese made a mistake in choosing his role at his new destination and it's probably going to cost him a shot at being drafted unless he's able to improve dramatically next year (wherever he might be playing).

He seems to really have leaned into playing next to Marcus Carr but in doing so, chose to be an undersized shooting guard who is a below average shooter. Marcus Carr is super talented but isn't the type of point guard who makes those around him better. It's real feast or famine with his constant dribbling and erratic shots. @JStanz51 talked about this a lot on his podcast with Jbo actually.

Tyrese's assist numbers have really suffered playing alongside Carr and his shooting splits haven't really improved. He doesn't have the excuse of playing in a bad offense anymore either. He has the worst offensive rating on the team among regulars.

In retrospect, if you want to be a PG and put up good numbers, playing next to Carr - who wants to have the ball in his hands approximately 38 mins a game - might not be ideal.

Can't get assists (or shots) if you don't have the ball.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
My comp for Tamin.
Damian Lillard, 6'2", 195 lb.
60 point game Wednesday night
Let's dream big!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Kstate was the first team to sag off that much in big 12 play. I do wonder if we will see more of it from teams the second time around now that it has shown up in game film.
Maybe not, as he used the space to measure his passes and get a few lobs over the top. I really don't think that helped K State at all.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe not, as he used the space to measure his passes and get a few lobs over the top. I really don't think that helped K State at all.
Agreed. We may see more of what they did later when they put their second big on Tamin so that when the screen came they could switch and still have a big on our big. It was a creative way of handling it and probably helped them avoid a mismatch on Shoon. Tamin was still able to drive and be effective against the big.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But it takes skill and athleticism to drive for all those layups! Hecseems to be one of our best at finishing around the basket.

And we have some who seem to miss a lot of layups
Especially when he is driving right into trees and still converting. He has a knack for finishing through length.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
But it takes skill and athleticism to drive for all those layups! Hecseems to be one of our best at finishing around the basket.

And we have some who seem to miss a lot of layups
Wasn’t meant to be a knock. He is not shooting many mid range or three pointers which tend to drag your average lower. Everything he normal takes is a good look.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We were on triple double watch for a bit there. That's just insane coming off of the TTU game. Hell of a refocus and return by Tamin.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Great bounce back game for him! Although the Tech loss was a team effort, I feel like most were putting the goat horns on Tamin. I'm sure he felt that and it's great to see him play great in a huge game.

Reactions: NENick and 2122