ANOTHER Lipsey thread?! Sure!

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Next up, Lipsey vs. Press Virginia. That's the battle I'll be watching for within the game. It'll be huge to have Jaz back.
Does West Virginia eve press much anymore? They scrapped that style a few years ago, but haven't watched them this year to know if they've returned to it.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I sure hope so.

You do? You realize that's probably not a good thing, right?

Kansas missed a big opportunity by not pressuring Lipsey up the floor, to the point we get in our half court sets. Mizzou, and even moreso Tech started backing off and daring him to shoot. This makes it harder for him to drive, clogs passing lanes, and allows for quick doubles on post entries. Basically it's 5 on 4, and even 5 on 3 when Jones is out there.

The smart move is every team making Lipsey show he can burn them from deep or midrange before extending to him. It takes away a strength and imposed a weakness simultaneously, and it has shown it can get to his head.

Lipsey is great, we wouldn't be where we are without him, but his two biggest weaknesses are his shooting and some lackadaisical passing (exacerbated under pressure). Like many have said I feel confident the shooting will come with an off-season of focus, but part of me is still hopefully his mentality changes enough THIS season to where teams can't back off him to the degree we've seen. If that happens it would be huge.

Tamin's game is far more advanced than I could have imagined when the season started. He's a solid defender, plays tough through contact, and is an ELITE penetrator and finished at the rim. The latter is something you rarely see especially from a (relatively) unheralded recruit.

It will be interesting to see how teams play him now, especially on the road. I'd be surprised if WVU doesn't come at him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You do? You realize that's probably not a good thing, right?

Kansas missed a big opportunity by not pressuring Lipsey up the floor, to the point we get in our half court sets. Mizzou, and even moreso Tech started backing off and daring him to shoot. This makes it harder for him to drive, clogs passing lanes, and allows for quick doubles on post entries. Basically it's 5 on 4, and even 5 on 3 when Jones is out there.

The smart move is every team making Lipsey show he can burn them from deep or midrange before extending to him. It takes away a strength and imposed a weakness simultaneously, and it has shown it can get to his head.

Lipsey is great, we wouldn't be where we are without him, but his two biggest weaknesses are his shooting and some lackadaisical passing (exacerbated under pressure). Like many have said I feel confident the shooting will come with an off-season of focus, but part of me is still hopefully his mentality changes enough THIS season to where teams can't back off him to the degree we've seen. If that happens it would be huge.

Tamin's game is far more advanced than I could have imagined when the season started. He's a solid defender, plays tough through contact, and is an ELITE penetrator and finished at the rim. The latter is something you rarely see especially from a (relatively) unheralded recruit.

It will be interesting to see how teams play him now, especially on the road. I'd be surprised if WVU doesn't come at him.
I fully expect more full court pressure like Mizzou first presented and TT mimiced in the 2nd half. I do think the quick turn around time between games didn't allow the staff to focus on that area in practice between games. I am sure that was an emphasis the 4 days before KU game and likely these practices prior to WV wed.

Having both Grill and Kunc as an outlet to break the press which they didn't have vs Mizzou/TT 2nd half (Grill on the bench with foul trouble) will help Tamin and homes to have a 3/4 option to not have a repeat of those games.

Reactions: ZRF and VeloClone

Mar 21, 2021
Watch Tamin make some great plays and repeatedly leave KU's #3 Harris standing there flat-footed...

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Lipsey struggled with the press in one game this year. And it wasn’t all him. This is just another case of TV announcers causing simple minded fans to believe everything they say. I have zero concern about Lipseys press breaking ability and it creates opportunities for easy baskets for us.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron