An old North Carolina memory

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I’m not sure of the genesis of Hilton Magic, but here’s one a few decades earlier. Freddie was a part of this one as a player. The noise in Hilton was unbelievable.

I was at this game. I was just cruising through Ames that day visiting friends and stopped and scalped tickets on a lark. Never expected to win but AWESOME game!

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I was at this game. I was just cruising through Ames that day visiting friends and stopped and scalped tickets on a lark. Never expected to win but AWESOME game!
Justus Thigpen set out he first half for some unknown disciplinary reason, then he came in to light it up. Very fun game.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I’m not sure of the genesis of Hilton Magic, but here’s one a few decades earlier. Freddie was a part of this one as a player. The noise in Hilton was unbelievable.

Okie State players said the floor was moving on the free throws.

Such a classic with Julo battling Houston.

Loudest sporting event I have ever been at.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was at this game. Left Thursday night from Des Moines. Stayed in KC. Drove to San Antonio. After the game drove to Texas Oklahoma border and then drove home Monday. Fun road trip!

The Friday night game we had seats near Iowa state bench. You could see Houberg’s face go pale after the trainer came out and told him georges’s foot was broken.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Iowa State and North Carolina have only played four times until now, and all were relatively recently. Three of them were in the NCAA tournament, and then once on December 1, 1990 in Charlotte, North Carolina for the "Diet Pepsi Tournament of Champions" after losing to Houston the previous day.

1669364555018.png

That was even before Fred Hoiberg. He was a freshman on the team the next season.

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
No, I’m almost positive that was Fred’s senior year. That was the year julio went off in the first round to end the game and we beat Florida. That unc game had Vince carter on it and Rasheed Wallace too. We were actually up 20 in the first half and the half ended with a ridiculous alley opp that tied the game. The game was tied and 100% over.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, I’m almost positive that was Fred’s senior year. That was the year julio went off in the first round to end the game and we beat Florida. That unc game had Vince carter on it and Rasheed Wallace too. We were actually up 20 in the first half and the half ended with a ridiculous alley opp that tied the game. The game was tied and 100% over.

They had Stackhouse, not Carter iirc.

They were a monster.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Okie State players said the floor was moving on the free throws.

Such a classic with Julo battling Houston.

Loudest sporting event I have ever been at.
Yeah, I was a big Julo fan and him starring down Houston (and I would say winning) was the side story to Thigpen’s unconscious performance.

My loudest as well. I was in the balcony behind the bench about half way to the rafters. I can’t imagine what it must have been like on the floor.

GoldCard

Nov 25, 2016

Noise?!? Hell the whole damn building was shaking like crazy!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Barry Stevens putting the hurt on Missouri IMO.

Reactions: fcclone