Allen Lazard- NFL Draft

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Looks like Lazard did do a lot in the actual game, but it sounds like he help himself a lot during the week. Almost feels like the scouts treated him as a know commodity and wanted to look at some other guys. Same with Mayfield.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Am I the only one that thinks Josh Allen is overrated?

The guy only completed 56% of his passes, against non P5 competition... Is there any starting QB in the NFL right now that had that kind of completion percentage in college?

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The guy only completed 56% of his passes, against non P5 competition... Is there any starting QB in the NFL right now that had that kind of completion percentage in college?

He also had a non power five line blocking for him and non power five receivers catching the ball and running routes. The NFL is about potential, he has a lot of that.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
If I were a fan of an NFL team, I'd be upset if my team drafted Allen at all. You can teach and teach, but if they aren't seeing the game well at the college level, they likely never will in the NFL. And to some degree, accuracy can't be fixed. These are 22 year old men. You can refine technique but the base muscle memory for elite accuracy is built far younger.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

LB52

Oct 26, 2015
I feel like this is actually unusual for the NFL, actually. The NBA drafts "potential" but the NFL usually drafts based on accomplishments.

That's not true at all. You see guys every year with all-world numbers in college who go undrafted. NFL drafts based on how good they think a player can be in the NFL, and that starts with having the measurables.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan964

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I got Lazard going to the Vikings late 3rd round in my first mock draft of the year...

Also got Campos going to Jacksonville in round 6, Lanning to Cleveland round 7 and Cotton-Moya in round 7 to Seattle. I could see a bunch of guys getting picked up as undrafted free agents: Waggoner, Murdock, Ryen, Wilkerson and Alexander. Downing probably won't get a shot after being terrible in the 2nd half of this season.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I would really like it if the bears drafted Lazard especially since that is their weakest position.
He would be a great fit for them. Big, tough, body, that will block and fight for balls in coverage. If the Cowboys don't pick him I would love him to go to Chicago.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I got Lazard going to the Vikings late 3rd round in my first mock draft of the year...

Also got Campos going to Jacksonville in round 6, Lanning to Cleveland round 7 and Cotton-Moya in round 7 to Seattle. I could see a bunch of guys getting picked up as undrafted free agents: Waggoner, Murdock, Ryen, Wilkerson and Alexander. Downing probably won't get a shot after being terrible in the 2nd half of this season.
I can't see Campos getting drafted at all. He was a very good Cyclone during his career, but I'm not even sure he was the best offensive linemen on the team this year.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
I can't see Campos getting drafted at all. He was a very good Cyclone during his career, but I'm not even sure he was the best offensive linemen on the team this year.

I'd say that's more of a compliment to the ISU o-line then a diss to Campos. Not that I don't disagree with you on Campos getting drafted, because the FA route isn't all bad either, I just feel like Campos could be the first of a long list of ISU o-linemen to the NFL under the CMC regime.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If I were a fan of an NFL team, I'd be upset if my team drafted Allen at all. You can teach and teach, but if they aren't seeing the game well at the college level, they likely never will in the NFL. And to some degree, accuracy can't be fixed. These are 22 year old men. You can refine technique but the base muscle memory for elite accuracy is built far younger.

For the most part I agree. I don't mind Allen as a mid round project, but the hype he's getting as a potential top five or top ten pick is nuts. He has a cannon for an arm. Nobody would argue that. But pick any game from his college career and you're going to see the same problems popping up over and over that have nothing to do with the quality of his supporting cast or the competition - badly missed throws to open receivers and a general lack of touch on short-to-intermediate stuff. I would guess that some of it is coachable and can be fixed to some degree, but for the most part inaccurate passers don't get more accurate. If I was an NFL GM I'd be very careful about taking him too high. I think he's more Christian Hackenberg than Carson Wentz. Big time arm, looks the part, can't consistently make the throws.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
For the most part I agree. I don't mind Allen as a mid round project, but the hype he's getting as a potential top five or top ten pick is nuts. He has a cannon for an arm. Nobody would argue that. But pick any game from his college career and you're going to see the same problems popping up over and over that have nothing to do with the quality of his supporting cast or the competition - badly missed throws to open receivers and a general lack of touch on short-to-intermediate stuff. I would guess that some of it is coachable and can be fixed to some degree, but for the most part inaccurate passers don't get more accurate. If I was an NFL GM I'd be very careful about taking him too high. I think he's more Christian Hackenberg than Carson Wentz. Big time arm, looks the part, can't consistently make the throws.

Allen to the Browns: Confirmed

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
But wasn't Allen's coach the same one that recruited Wentz and put the system in at ndsu? So I would think that it's the same system, but maybe tweaked a bit.
Their system is similar but I think they didn't have the personnel to actually perform like the NDSU we know of. if you look at two prior years of team stats, they had a strong running game that resembled Craig Bohl's teams at NDSU. Not sure exactly what happened, but they probably graduated a senior line or lost a good running back (or both) that affected the productivity and the flow of their offense.

From very limited clips I've seen, Wyoming WRs seemed to be pretty bad at getting separation to set up a good throws, and even if good throws are made they aren't great at catching them. Last year, their top receiver was Tanner Gentry, who was on the Bears squad/roster for a bit this year, so he had something to work with, but other than that everyone else he was working with seemed like fringe D-I players. Their top receiver this year was a 5'10" guy that went to play point guard on their basketball team before switching to football.