Allen Lazard- NFL Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Pretty solid numbers for Lazard. Arm/hands are comparable with most receivers his size from the last couple drafts. Think we knew he would do well on measurables and that how he runs is what teams will want to know.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Drops can be over looked if his speed is there. Hopefully he runs a blazing 40. Someone said sub 4.6 before but that is hard to believe. We shall see.

• Funny
Reactions: xboxfever

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Drops can be over looked if his speed is there. Hopefully he runs a blazing 40. Someone said sub 4.6 before but that is hard to believe. We shall see.
In my opinion this is what is going to help/hurt him the most. A couple drops while you're probably incredibly nervous in drills with all the scouts watching can be overcome by good in-game performance.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
In my opinion this is what is going to help/hurt him the most. A couple drops while you're probably incredibly nervous in drills with all the scouts watching can be overcome by good in-game performance.

But this isn't really something new is it? He's struggled with drops his entire career when catching passes from basically everyone but Kyle Kempt. Don't get me wrong, he's a beast and I think he'll have a long pro career but this isn't an isolated incident and could be a concern, especially when catching the kind of balls he's going to be thrown at the next level.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
But this isn't really something new is it? He's struggled with drops his entire career when catching passes from basically everyone but Kyle Kempt. Don't get me wrong, he's a beast and I think he'll have a long pro career but this isn't an isolated incident and could be a concern, especially when catching the kind of balls he's going to be thrown at the next level.
He has had problems with the fast ball, but he makes such amazing catches it's hard to blame it on much other than nerves and running before the ball is caught.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He has had problems with the fast ball, but he makes such amazing catches it's hard to blame it on much other than nerves and running before the ball is caught.

As far as the red zone and jump balls, he's a good as any, today it sounds like the throws were similar to the kind he's struggled with. He is amazing at adjusting to throws over his head but anything in to his body or below eye level, he struggled with, if he hadn't shown these problems before, I'd buy the nerves angle but he struggled with those throws for 4 years, its a definite weakness, not one that overshadows his redzone ability or blocking but he'll need to improve in that area to be an every down WR in the NFL, he won't be able to outjump everyone at level.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He did much better in 1-on-1, and got positive comments in the team drill even after a drop (based on his work vs the DB).

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
230Lbs?

Is it possible he's putting on weight lately to have teams look at him at TE?

It's not a stretch for him to put on another 15-20 lbs in couple years or less..

He just doesn't have speed to play outside imo.

If he runs under 4.7 I'll be surprised

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I'd be surprised if he doesn't run under a 4.7

He's speed for a WR is not good. Butler probably runs 4.58 ish I'd guess.. Lazard is much slower.

I'll be very very happy for him if he's under 4.7...cause I could easily see him becoming TE in NFL. He's excellent blocker who is physical.

I thought he'd come in at more 210.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He's speed for a WR is not good. Butler probably runs 4.58 ish I'd guess.. Lazard is much slower.

I'll be very very happy for him if he's under 4.7...cause I could easily see him becoming TE in NFL. He's excellent blocker who is physical.

210 lbs? He has been above 220 for at least two years.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

How do you know what Butler runs? Wasn't Lazard's last electronic 40 like 4.65 or something?

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
AllenDrops.JPG A lot of dudes were struggling with Josh Allen passes apparently.

The speed isn't going to be great (~4.65) and that showed on the field. He wasn't exactly getting separation but he was winning 50/50 balls and using his body to box out dudes. There's a place in the NFL for this type.

Not a perfect comp but Devin Funchess was 6'4" 232lbs 9 3/4" hands and ran a 4.70 forty and was the 41th (9th WR) picked in the 2015 draft. So no he's not going to become a TE. Wouldn't expect him to be a top 50 pick but could be top 100?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman and ATCy
L

LincolnWay187

People dropped passes from Favre all the time too, and thats to be expected form QBs who zing it a million miles per hour.