Allen Lazard- NFL Draft

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I mean this should be of no surprise to any Cyclone fan; we've known for awhile he's had some bad drops and will likely run between 4.65-4.7. He will cement himself on a roster by running crisp routes and winning the 50/50 balls as he can do.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

That highlights how much of the process is oriented to opinion. You don't have to impress every scout from every team. You have to impress just one to a sufficient degree. No question in my mind that Lazard is a total package that someone will want, and I think his size, physical nature, route running and blocking will get him on a team and further, that he will make the squad.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and oldman

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I mean this should be of no surprise to any Cyclone fan; we've known for awhile he's had some bad drops and will likely run between 4.65-4.7. He will cement himself on a roster by running crisp routes and winning the 50/50 balls as he can do.
Absolutely 100% correct. If Lazard was faster and had better hands he would be considered the next Calvin Johnson. He is not, and will make s roster because he can block and is a red zone weapon.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
SIAP, but Lazard wasn't the only receiver struggling to handle passes from Josh Allen yesterday -

https://sports.yahoo.com/wyoming-qb-josh-allen-passes-eyeball-test-starts-throwing-025702572.html

"With receivers running routes against air, Allen’s first pass sailed about five yards over the head of Wisconsin tight end Troy Fumagalli. Other passes went awry thereafter, in a scrimmage situation. There were some impressive throws that showcased Allen’s big arm, but also some short tosses with way too much velocity that receivers could not hang onto."

It doesn't excuse the drops but it does provide a little context. Sounds like Allen might have been pressing a little bit and putting more on the ball than he needed to.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
View attachment 53137 A lot of dudes were struggling with Josh Allen passes apparently.

The speed isn't going to be great (~4.65) and that showed on the field. He wasn't exactly getting separation but he was winning 50/50 balls and using his body to box out dudes. There's a place in the NFL for this type.

Not a perfect comp but Devin Funchess was 6'4" 232lbs 9 3/4" hands and ran a 4.70 forty and was the 41th (9th WR) picked in the 2015 draft. So no he's not going to become a TE. Wouldn't expect him to be a top 50 pick but could be top 100?

A while back I had compared him to Kelvin Benjamin, so we're pretty much in agreement there. Both big, physical receivers who make their living by boxing out defenders and winning the 50/50 balls. They don't get great separation, they're not serious catch and run threats, and they're not going to win many footraces.

But not every team likes that sort of size or physical profile for their receivers. A team could draft him and ask him to move inside into an h-back role where his size would still be an asset but his lack of speed wouldn't be such a detriment. We'll see. Unless he totally tanks the rest of this week or at the combine I still think he's a Day 2 pick.

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Whoa. Kudos to Michael Joseph the player from the University of Dubuque (Divison III) for getting an invite to the Senior Bowl. He must have really been a dominant player at that level to draw the attention necessary to earn that spot.

I want to say he won the D3 equivalent to the Heisman. Not 100% positive on winning it, I know he was a finalist though

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Reactions: SiouxCityCyclone

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Nothing more to add other than his 40 time like it or not will determine where he goes in the draft. The most important thing for him is he will get a shot with a team in camp. THAT is where it will be determined if he can make the team or not.

I think he can be a match up nightmare but just needs the right team to maybe even think a little outside the box on how to use him.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Lazard practice being shown on ESPNU & NFL Network right now. Has made a couple nice plays.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron