Alex Facundo to Penn St

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I am puzzled at how KJ could get recruits, but not develop them and Dresser struggles with getting top recruits, but develops guys (Mackall, Degan, Parker)

Degen was #83 in 2016
Gremmel was #60
Mackall was #71 by Intermat and #10 at 126
Parker was #88 by Flo

Is this really evidence of "developing"? Degan, yes. But I believe the other 3 guys have a combined 3 NCAA tourney victories. Not quite there yet, IMHO. There might be better examples from Dresser's time at VT though the overall coaching staff is different.

I'm not saying this needs to happen, but at what point do u look at making a coaching change? I like the staff and what they have done to this point had been decent. But only being able to recruit with the head coach and the 2 assistants, does it become a problem with the staff?

Well you gave a guy way worse than Dresser far more time, so not yet. However, and I have said this several times, we may see him make further changes to the assistants.

I know we were mentioned as "one of the leaders" for Facundo but quite frankly we were a longshot. Not surprised by this news at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34 and cyputz

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is this really evidence of "developing"? Degan, yes. But I believe the other 3 guys have a combined 3 NCAA tourney victories. Not quite there yet, IMHO. There might be better examples from Dresser's time at VT though the overall coaching staff is different.

Maybe not yet. But none of them are seniors and 3 of the 4 are ranked in top 12.

Time will tell.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Ayala is being recruited hard by Tom Ryan at Ohio State. He's been in Ayala's house twice, hell last week after they lost at Iowa City Ryan stopped at Waverly, where FD was wrestling, and sat in the stands with Sam and Angie (Drake's parents).

Word is that Drake is a little turned off by Dresser trashing other programs. Sounds like Metcalf hasn't given up yet, though.

• Funny
Reactions: buf87

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Ayala is being recruited hard by Tom Ryan at Ohio State. He's been in Ayala's house twice, hell last week after they lost at Iowa City Ryan stopped at Waverly, where FD was wrestling, and sat in the stands with Sam and Angie (Drake's parents).

Word is that Drake is a little turned off by Dresser trashing other programs. Sounds like Metcalf hasn't given up yet, though.
what do you mean by trashing other programs?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
They have better facilities and investments in their programs. That is what sets them apart. If ISU wants to compete with them, then (rich) people have to step up and make it happen. And this investment has to occur before the winning, winning won't happen without it.
It's easy to say money is the issue and that's why guys aren't coming here. Wisconsin, Arizona State, Nebraska, UNI, North Carolina, Virginia tech, NC State... They aren't busting at the seems with post-grad funding but we aren't recruiting on their level. Everyone is beating out the cyclones for recruits right now.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

Well you gave a guy way worse than Dresser far more time, so not yet. However, and I have said this several times, we may see him make further changes to the assistants.

I know we were mentioned as "one of the leaders" for Facundo but quite frankly we were a longshot. Not surprised by this news at all.
Why were we a longshot?

ISUWR5

Nov 7, 2018
With the connections with Metcalf and it seemed like he and Carr were friends I was really hoping we would land him. I think ive seen pictures of him wearing Cyclone gear as well. This loss stings and I’m very disappointed that we aren’t landing any of the top notch kids. To get to the top we need a few of them to go along with Carr.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
With the connections with Metcalf and it seemed like he and Carr were friends I was really hoping we would land him. I think ive seen pictures of him wearing Cyclone gear as well. This loss stings and I’m very disappointed that we aren’t landing any of the top notch kids. To get to the top we need a few of them to go along with Carr.
We have missed on almost all the big ones. Pretty disappointing as a fan. There are some good kids coming in but need a couple top kids with Carr.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Is there a better long-term recruiting tool than winning?

Degen and Carr have proven that they are both potential finalists, coach has talked about Parker and Colbray in the same vein, and Mackall, Small, and Gremmel have all shown AA potential (not to mention Coleman beat Skatzka handily in Las Vegas when he was still at 174)...and they're all back next year, along with Gomez.

We do need to recruit better to be on the top of the podium, and hopefully we'll perform our best in March and light that fire.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and Sturge34

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Is there a better long-term recruiting tool than winning?

Degen and Carr have proven that they are both potential finalists, coach has talked about Parker and Colbray in the same vein, and Mackall, Small, and Gremmel have all shown AA potential (not to mention Coleman beat Skatzka handily in Las Vegas when he was still at 174)...and they're all back next year, along with Gomez.

We do need to recruit better to be on the top of the podium, and hopefully we'll perform our best in March and light that fire.
That’s too late. All the kids are committed at that point. Next year will be a high water mark and then we will have Carr and no one else of note if Gomez doesn’t make it back. By missing consistently in the first few years they have guaranteed poor results 3-4 years from then. And that’s what we are going to see I’m afraid. We’ve missed so badly at HW that Gremmel literally would need to practice against a rescue dummy if Gadsen takes a day off.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
That’s too late. All the kids are committed at that point. Next year will be a high water mark and then we will have Carr and no one else of note if Gomez doesn’t make it back. By missing consistently in the first few years they have guaranteed poor results 3-4 years from then. And that’s what we are going to see I’m afraid. We’ve missed so badly at HW that Gremmel literally would need to practice against a rescue dummy if Gadsen takes a day off.

How big is Cody Fisher? I see he wrestles at 220.

Also are we recruiting Boone McDermott at Iowa Central?

Then I think Greenlee of Ames will rise rapidly in the rankings next year. I hear he is in the room a lot. Not sure big the connection is to UNI though. Does UNI have a 285 guy after Isley is done?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
How big is Cody Fisher? I see he wrestles at 220.

Also are we recruiting Boone McDermott at Iowa Central?

Then I think Greenlee of Ames will rise rapidly in the rankings next year. I hear he is in the room a lot. Not sure big the connection is to UNI though. Does UNI have a 285 guy after Isley is done?
The fact that Greenlee is not a done deal is a prime example of the recruiting issues this staff has. We lost Teske who was in the room a ton as well and weren’t even good enough for a rebound.

Most new staffs see a recruiting bump. We didn’t which speaks volumes to our issues. St John and Metcalf seem like great coaches on the mat but the fact we are constantly striking out tells me everything I need to know about their recruiting prowess. Look at the classes Reader and Bono are putting together in Wisconsin. They saw the bump and will be rolling in the coming years. We are about to hit a huge drought. We are paying Top 5 money for this staff, and I think they are top 5 when it comes to everything after the wrestlers are in the room. The problem is they don’t even appear to be Top 20 recruiters. We should not be out recruited by UNI, a school which has to suck $40 million out of their university funds just to run sports and holds practice in HS gyms. ISU is far more of a recruiting challenge than VTech was and the staff has not been up to it as of now.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Unfortunately our glory days are so long ago that recruits nowadays have no recollection of when we were even relevant. We hung on way too long to KJ and are still seeing the side effects of it.

I think we need to hit the transfer portal hard and try to make ourselves relevant as quickly as possible or I'm worried we won't be able to dig ourselves out of this hole we are in before our administration starts getting frustrated

Our program is being completely rebuilt from the ground up and so is our RTC. There just isn't anyone to draw top level recruits in our RTC and our facilities are below par. Maybe instead of building duplexes for our athletes that we dont have we should spend that money on trying to get guys to town like Burroughs/Snyder/Dake/Cox etc. We need to make a big splash somehow.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Paulson twins coaching at least one of the junior freestyle teams and built relationships with recruits through that ?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Paulson twins coaching at least one of the junior freestyle teams and built relationships with recruits through that ?

Yep. Storr & Parker, I think. It was that big class

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Gomez, Smith, Verkleeren, Allar, Storr, Parker, and Coleman
Storr and Parker were already here when Coach Dresser was hired and convinced Gomez to still come. Storr finished second at a big freestyle tourny as a true freshman, which you likely recall.

In addition to those on that list (less Storr and Parker), Leisure was also part of that class.

Last edited: