Alex Facundo to Penn St

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
lol Iowa is not "the place to be if you want to win World/Olympic medals"

They've had 1 world medalist training at the Hawkeye Wrestling Club since 2006. Zadick won in 06', and since then Gilman is the only one to take a medal at the world level (2nd in 2017).

In recent years NLWC, Nebraska, Ohio State, and oklahoma state all have more world team appearances and world medals off the top of my head. Hell, Fresno State's RTC has the same number of world level medals as Iowa does in the last decade.
You’re right, I should have included both OSU’s as well.

Last edited:

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
That is such a bummer, I just can’t see the path to success right now

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Pretty clear something has to change for us to have future success. Just wonder how many things need to occur in order for that to happen.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Per team there are 9.9 scholarships at the DI level

The intangibles become huge bargaining chips in recruiting

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am puzzled at how KJ could get recruits, but not develop them and Dresser struggles with getting top recruits, but develops guys (Mackall, Degan, Parker)

Degen was #83 in 2016
Gremmel was #60
Mackall was #71 by Intermat and #10 at 126
Parker was #88 by Flo

I still think it is money. Not offering enough to these guys. I don't think the staff offers as many full rides as what people think.

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'm not saying this needs to happen, but at what point do u look at making a coaching change? I like the staff and what they have done to this point had been decent. But only being able to recruit with the head coach and the 2 assistants, does it become a problem with the staff?

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
They are failing. Once all of KJs recruits are gone the roster looks bleak. There has to be changes. Each empty recruiting cycle puts us back year(s).

I’m coming at thisi from the standpoint of competing for titles. I’m not concerned about the development of guys that have 1 AA between them. We need 10 legit guys, 5-8 AAs with a couple national title contenders sprinkled in.

we are going backwards.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I'm not saying this needs to happen, but at what point do u look at making a coaching change? I like the staff and what they have done to this point had been decent. But only being able to recruit with the head coach and the 2 assistants, does it become a problem with the staff?

Not knowing details makes it tough. If we are offering 80-100% rides and missing to teams offering 50%, then the staff needs to be looked at.

If we are trying to get them for 50-70% and getting beat out by other at similar rates, then we need to adjust the money.

And I don't believe for a second that any or many of the casual fans that throw out the full ride card have the slightest clue if that is accurate. I consider myself pretty close to the program and I don't have a clue what any recruit or wrestler on the team is getting unless they publicly said it.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

After Carr's senior season when KD retires and Metcalf takes over.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Not knowing details makes it tough. If we are offering 80-100% rides and missing to teams offering 50%, then the staff needs to be looked at.

If we are trying to get them for 50-70% and getting beat out by other at similar rates, then we need to adjust the money.

And I don't believe for a second that any or many of the casual fans that throw out the full ride card have the slightest clue if that is accurate. I consider myself pretty close to the program and I don't have a clue what any recruit or wrestler on the team is getting unless they publicly said it.
I get what you’re saying, but if they tried to get Facundo with anything less than 100% the whole staff should be gone. They’re so far behind teams like Iowa or PSU that literally the only way they can compete with them is to make a better financial offer.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I think pulling in a top senior-level athlete would help a lot with recruiting.

Carr and the Dressers are working hard to build the CRTC into a viable entity, with the fundraising, housing and such, but it's definitely going to take some substantial cash to lure and keep some top talent here.

Kyven is great, but he's been the perennial no. 2 since he started on the senior circuit.

On another note, getting Ayala and/or Voinovich would be huge. I have to believe our staff is doubling down on those guys. Here's hoping they get it done with those guys.

Reactions: ACSlater

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I get what you’re saying, but if they tried to get Facundo with anything less than 100% the whole staff should be gone. They’re so far behind teams like Iowa or PSU that literally the only way they can compete with them is to make a better financial offer.

I agree, but that is an important piece of the puzzle that I don't know and I assume very few do know. I can assume we were offering a full ride, but ???

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At this point we need to giving a full ride to a top 20 (prefer 10 but will settle for top 20 until we improve) yearly. Then figure it out along the way. Have 4 studs (one redshirting) in the lineup and mixed in with decent wrestlers and we could be knocking on some hardware possibly.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
At this point we need to giving a full ride to a top 20 (prefer 10 but will settle for top 20 until we improve) yearly. Then figure it out along the way. Have 4 studs (one redshirting) in the lineup and mixed in with decent wrestlers and we could be knocking on some hardware possibly.

Are you saying other schools don't do this now?

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think you would be surprised how few guys are on full rides, even top ranked guys in the country.

I'm fine with the strategy of offering 3-4 guys full rides per team, but you'd better be damn sure none of those 3-4 are misses or you are screwed.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
They probably do. I think this is a minimum for us. Wrestlers can have other scholarships, have feeling this is how PSU, Iowa and others pick up guys.

They have better facilities and investments in their programs. That is what sets them apart. If ISU wants to compete with them, then (rich) people have to step up and make it happen. And this investment has to occur before the winning, winning won't happen without it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They have better facilities and investments in their programs. That is what sets them apart. If ISU wants to compete with them, then (rich) people have to step up and make it happen. And this investment has to occur before the winning, winning won't happen without it.

The top handful do, we can still be better than what we are. Keep investing and also step up results and they will come hand in hand partially.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

Help Support Us

Become a patron