Aaron Rodgers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Seriously, I have no idea either. Just saw that somewhere.
The cap hit comes in the form of dead money. When a player signs a contract, their up front signing bonus can be spread out over the years of the contract. So if a guy signs a 5 year contract with a 50 million dollar signing bonus, the signing bonus can be spread out so that it only counts against the cap 10 million dollars per year for 5 years. But if the player is cut or is traded before his contract is up, all of the prorated money that has already been paid up front, but hasn't counted against the cap yet counts against the cap immediately. They call it dead money because you have cap money tied up in a player that's not on your team anymore.

4CY4EVR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2010
I don’t blame Rodgers for being pissed. Gb moved back to the 1st round last year and drafted his replacement in love. Then they take the 2nd round pick and draft a backup rb? He wins the mvp last year and loses to to in the nfc championship.. why wouldn’t he be pissed? Rumor has it , gb threntened to trade him during the off season, then he calls their bluff , and they all fly out to California to soothe it over with him?? Cmon?

• Agree
Reactions: Peter and Drew0311

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Already been brought up in other threads but may deserve its own.

Would be a huge move for the league.

From what I understand his ego doesn't help much and he could have taken less money to get better players there.
This. He can’t get along with his family either.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtyninety

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Some team is going to pay Rodgers their life.
this is what I don’t get. Would KC underpay Mahomes? Would Baltimore threaten to trade Jackson during a contract negotiation? If you have a superstar you have to treat them like a superstar and GB has never figured that out. They have been spoiled by HOF QBs and they think they can just go out and find another one. Well good luck with Jordan Love.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
this is what I don’t get. Would KC underpay Mahomes? Would Baltimore threaten to trade Jackson during a contract negotiation? If you have a superstar you have to treat them like a superstar and GB has never figured that out. They have been spoiled by HOF QBs and they think they can just go out and find another one. Well good luck with Jordan Love.
Spoiled with almost 3 decades straight of having a hall of fame QB under center, and only 2 championships to show for it. That's actually kinda sad.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
What? Rodgers’ last contract he signed was a record breaking contract. He’s got arguably the best WR in the league. A top 5 running back. A top tier O-line every year. And should’ve been pro bowl TE. Should the Packers invest a little better in the WR department? Yes. But offense is never the problem. The Packers haven’t had a top 10 defense in the past 10 years. #8 in 2010 and look, they won a super bowl. 9 out of the last 10 drafts, they’ve gone defense because that’s what they need badly every year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I've thought they've treated him just fine could have used that money to get deficiencies covered so he didn't have to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s sad but it isn’t easy to win a championship. Most greats only have 1 or 2

Despite their issues on D etc. there's a reality that GB has had ample opportunity to at least get back to the SB the last few years.

They choked that game away in Seattle every way possible and had their chances vs. TB this season.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The cap hit comes in the form of dead money. When a player signs a contract, their up front signing bonus can be spread out over the years of the contract. So if a guy signs a 5 year contract with a 50 million dollar signing bonus, the signing bonus can be spread out so that it only counts against the cap 10 million dollars per year for 5 years. But if the player is cut or is traded before his contract is up, all of the prorated money that has already been paid up front, but hasn't counted against the cap yet counts against the cap immediately. They call it dead money because you have cap money tied up in a player that's not on your team anymore.
Sounds like ****** debt management.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not defending Gutekunst - at all - but he does hold the cards, at least for now. Rodgers is under contract until 2023, so they don't have to do anything. And if Rodgers decides to be pissy and hold out, or sit, it's not going to be a good look for him.

I'm betting they find a way to work it out. The whole thing looks like it was staged - announcing it on the eve of the draft? How dramatic!

And of course then Gutekunst picks a defensive player in the first round. Guess you gotta do your job, after all.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I hope GB holds fast and calls his bluff. You have a contract, play or sit out and lose all the money.

I just don't see a HOF quarterback sitting out a year instead of adding to his all time stats.

He's 200 yards from passing Elway and 8 TD's from passing Marino. Dude is taking every snap he can.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love Lazard and he does a good job. However, a crap load of Packer wide outs are made by Rodgers. Look what happens to Packer wide outs in free agency. They disappear.

The big thing Lazard has going for him is he's a fantastic blocker at receiver. That will help him find a place if he ends up as a free agent.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The big thing Lazard has going for him is he's a fantastic blocker at receiver. That will help him find a place if he ends up as a free agent.

oh I think Lazard is good enough to land on his feet. It's just that Rodgers is absolutely making him look better than what I think he actually is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

He needs to be paired up with a Tom Brady type who, no matter how much he may be disliked or whatever, tends to augment abilities of teammates and put them in the right spot.

Rodgers saw it and I think had to push and pull quite a bit to get him on the field and I'm not sure how well that works at other places.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jordan Love will not be a Bart Starr, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not defending Gutekunst - at all - but he does hold the cards, at least for now. Rodgers is under contract until 2023, so they don't have to do anything. And if Rodgers decides to be pissy and hold out, or sit, it's not going to be a good look for him.

I'm betting they find a way to work it out. The whole thing looks like it was staged - announcing it on the eve of the draft? How dramatic!

And of course then Gutekunst picks a defensive player in the first round. Guess you gotta do your job, after all.
I would never underestimate how stubborn Aaron Rodgers can be. That's one of his defining characteristics. I don't think he's all that concerned about looking bad, nor should he be. There's a popular narrative that Green Bay has done him dirty over the years by not surrounding him with enough offensive talent through the draft or by other means. A narrative backed up by last year's draft where they appeared to be moving on from him. Doesn't matter if it's true or not, that's a perception that's out there. Some of their own fans even subscribe to it. If Rodgers holds his ground and sits out for a year, he'll still have plenty of lucrative opportunities with other teams. He's the reigning MVP and one of the best to ever play QB. He'd still be in very high demand after sitting out. Green Bay doesn't hold as many cards as you think.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter
Status
Not open for further replies.