Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
That’s very true.
It bothers me that people don't assign a huge chunk of blame to Rodgers for that lose. The defense really stepped their game up in the second half and I have a VERY hard time believing that LaFleur chose to abandon the run after halftime. 1st and goal and they don't try running Dillon (who had been getting chunk yardage at that point) even once? I'd bet everything I own on Rodgers changing the plays on those drives.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It bothers me that people don't assign a huge chunk of blame to Rodgers for that lose. The defense really stepped their game up in the second half and I have a VERY hard time believing that LaFleur chose to abandon the run after halftime. 1st and goal and they don't try running Dillon (who had been getting chunk yardage at that point) even once? I'd bet everything I own on Rodgers changing the plays on those drives.

And Rodgers could have nearly walked in for the TD, but instead forced a stupid throw.

But then LaFleur messed up by kicking the FG.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
ESPN Insider had a good article yesterday with the 7 most likely trade scenarios. Denver topped the list but there were some intriguing options I hadn’t considered as well.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't care if Rodgers or his fiance like Cleveland.... and neither do the GB Packers. In fact... all the better if they hate it IMO. Rodgers doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract, so he has no say whatsoever where GB trades him. So I say send him someplace terrible.... although Cleveland actually has a really good roster nowadays.
If it's Cleveland, that mission would be accomplished.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
While there would be a large cap hit if GB trades him, it would actually be about a $5 million savings over having him play for the year.

Also, waiting until after June 2ns would save a lot on this year's cap, but he would then become $17 million in dead money for next year and GB's cap situation for next year is worse than it is this season.
I doubt that it's fiscally possible with the current roster but it would be super-gutsy to get rid of him before June 2, take the cap hit, and be set up with a much better cap situation in the future.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
There are 2 and only 2 reasons why Aaron's agent is stiring the pot like this...

1) $61.5M left on his contract after this coming season. GB can cut him after the season ends and only owes him $17M.

2) His average annual salary is about $33.5M a year. Mahomes is at $45M/year. Watson and Dak make $40M/yr

That's what this is about more than anything else. He wines like this every time he wants an extension and more money

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Now look at what Rodgers does in comparison to Brady, Mahomes and Drees do with their contracts

Those other three are always restructuring their deals to open cap space to make the roster better.. It's a big reason why Rodgers only has 1 ring

Reactions: carvers4math

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Now look at what Rodgers does in comparison to Brady, Mahomes and Drees do with their contracts

Those other three are always restructuring their deals to open cap space to make the roster better.. It's a big reason why Rodgers only has 1 ring
To be clear, the "restructure" that Mahomes did wasn't some grand magnanimous gesture. They converted a roster bonus to a signing bonus, which allowed the team to spread the cap hit over several years. Mahomes didn't sacrifice a dime. He still got exactly the same amount of money.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
To be clear, the "restructure" that Mahomes did wasn't some grand magnanimous gesture. They converted a roster bonus to a signing bonus, which allowed the team to spread the cap hit over several years. Mahomes didn't sacrifice a dime. He still got exactly the same amount of money.

Exactly my point. he put in his contract that the team could restructure the deal allowing them to go out and sign top free agents in order to win a superbowl. Versus Aaron is activly pushing people away from Green Bay because he wants more money and Green Bay isn't playing along

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Exactly my point. he put in his contract that the team could restructure the deal allowing them to go out and sign top free agents in order to win a superbowl. Versus Aaron is activly pushing people away from Green Bay because he wants more money and Green Bay isn't playing along
Roster bonuses are pretty common language, though. It wasn't anything special that Mahomes stipulated. Aaron Rodgers had a large roster bonus that could have been converted into a signing bonus this year to give the Packers some cap space room this year. The team specifically chose not to do that, and paid him the roster bonus. It was a good indicator that they are looking to get rid of him after this season, and potentially another reason Rodgers is unhappy.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Roster bonuses are pretty common language, though. It wasn't anything special that Mahomes stipulated. Aaron Rodgers had a large roster bonus that could have been converted into a signing bonus this year to give the Packers some cap space room this year. The team specifically chose not to do that, and paid him the roster bonus. It was a good indicator that they are looking to get rid of him after this season, and potentially another reason Rodgers is unhappy.

Has Rodgers truly ever been happy in GB? A ring and contract extensions kept him there.. His agent has always pushed stuff to Schefter when his clients contract is no longer near the top of the market

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
While common sense and history tells us AR will play for the Packers this year, there seem to be an awful lot of connected people saying they put the chances at about 5% he isn’t traded. Those are people that usually bat down some of these things early and often but aren’t here. I don’t but them as all playing victim to manipulation from AR’s side either.

It’s likely nothing happens until July 2nd so it’s all conjecture, but I wouldn’t be so confident he doesn’t get traded - or there is some surprise retirement decision by their GM - based on current state of things.

I'm a Packer fan like you. Do you really think that's possible? It would have to come from Murphy, I'd guess. If Gutekunst had just been a better communicator, he likely could have spared himself (and the team) all these headaches.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Has Rodgers truly ever been happy in GB? A ring and contract extensions kept him there.. His agent has always pushed stuff to Schefter when his clients contract is no longer near the top of the market
That's a fair point, but the fact remains that the Packers had the same opportunity as Kansas City had to gain cap space with their quarterback's contract, but they chose not to do it because it would have tied money into Rodgers' contract beyond the 2022 season. It's as clear of an indicator as you can get that the Packers are moving off of AR, likely after this year.

I don't necessarily agree with AR's response, but I understand where he's coming from. The guy is coming off an MVP season, and has given no indication that he's going to retire soon, and the team won't commit to him past this season. I can see how he'd be upset about that.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

He has been quoted over and over about how much he loves the city, loves the fanbase, loves the tradition. His problem is with management.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
That's a fair point, but the fact remains that the Packers had the same opportunity as Kansas City had to gain cap space with their quarterback's contract, but they chose not to do it because it would have tied money into Rodgers' contract beyond the 2022 season. It's as clear of an indicator as you can get that the Packers are moving off of AR, likely after this year.

I don't necessarily agree with AR's response, but I understand where he's coming from. The guy is coming off an MVP season, and has given no indication that he's going to retire soon, and the team won't commit to him past this season. I can see how he'd be upset about that.

I'd be pissed too if I had a contract for $60M+ and my employer could cut me for about 1/4 of that..

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He might be 100% correct, but Schefter seems a little shady reporting this on draft day without a source.

Well.... does it surprise anyone that ESPN and Adam Schefter dropped this "bomb" on draft day.... and there really was nothing there to report.

Schefter should probably lose his job over this IMO. You cannot trust a single thing he says anymore going forward. He had no new information whatsoever to report..... yet did it anyway on draft day to increase ratings for that night I'm assuming?

What a joke. ESPN is just awful.

• Creative
Reactions: Cy$

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
He might be 100% correct, but Schefter seems a little shady reporting this on draft day without a source.
Rodgers is the source. Schefter is a lying sack of s***. Rodgers wanted it out on the biggest off-season day of the year and he used Schefter to get it out. Simple as that. Almost every year there is some big news that comes out on draft day.

It’s funny in that video where Schefter said it “just so happened to be on draft day”. I have a bridge to sell anyone that believes that.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron