8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Had the garage door blown in, 2 70-ft tall trees ripped out of the ground in my yard, no power for 30 hours. Headed to the in-laws house sleep with AC tonight.

I would sleep with cows in a shallow farm pond before going to my inlaws.

In all seriousness, i hope things get moving quickly for y’all over there. Heard it’s a mess in M-town.

• Haha
Reactions: Tailg8er

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Anybody have any report from Boone? I’m supposed to play Honey Creek in the AM tomorrow. I called them this morning and asked if they were OK and planning on being up and running, and they said they were, but...

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
if people supported and respected cop sirens more we wouldn’t have a need for weather sirens. Think on that for a minute Lib.
leave it to you to bring politics into this... really shows your colors else where here too.

I was over in Marion most of today helping parents start digging out. It's a surreal scene. Seriously looks like a hurricane went through. Heading north on 13 barns were collapsed, big grain bins were flattened. Roofs and siding on houses gone. There are so many big old trees laying on literally every street, some pulled up by the roots with concrete sidewalks still attached. Everywhere you look there are widowmakers, massive tree limbs balancing up high on the trunk or barely hanging on. On the drive back I saw several small convoys of bucket trucks heading east on 80, hopefully that will speed up getting power back. It's a mess.
figured south of 20 seemed to be the cut off point for damages almost. not much up here north of it but south a bit you start to here more and more, aunt and uncle even came up here looking for gas as a lot of places in and around CR are out of power/backed up etc... most of my family in the area seem to have escaped major damage to their homes at least. try'd to see if my aunt and uncle in midway needed anything but sounds like they have had plenty of help so far.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I live just south of 20 and we had one stick in our yard but no power for 24 hours. 5-10 miles south and it is amazingly bad. Pleasantly surprised we got power back today.

• Informative
Reactions: motorcy90

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I got a bunch of river rock that needs moved. This is enticing.

2 year old and the neighbor toddler spent a solid 5 minutes swiping all the river rock off the top of the drain in our driveway and into the tube. Husband hasn't noticed yet. But yeah, kids will love that. River rock is awful.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
2 year old and the neighbor toddler spent a solid 5 minutes swiping all the river rock off the top of the drain in our driveway and into the tube. Husband hasn't noticed yet. But yeah, kids will love that. River rock is awful.
I have a whole rock bed that I’m removing rocks from. I want to landscape and fill with mulch. Moving the rock is half the problem, finding a home for it is the other half.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm and motorcy90

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have a whole rock bed that I’m removing rocks from. I want to landscape and fill with mulch. Moving the rock is half the problem, finding a home for it is the other half.

put landscape fabric underneath unless you plan to switch up where plants go. Moving rock is the worst.

K, back to hurricane updates. It qualifies as a Cat 2 windspeed I think.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The NWS had forecast the greater likelihoods of severe weather being in eastern Iowa and Illinois, but this was always a possibility.

Usually, we have threads for days in anticipation of a storm that may not even come. This thread wasn't started until after 11am (after the storm had already hit).

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Usually, we have threads for days in anticipation of a storm that may not even come. This thread wasn't started until after 11am (after the storm had already hit).

I was shocked myself. Don’t think anyone was expecting it to be that bad

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm