8/10 weather

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yep, this was effectively a tornado, from a damage standpoint. People need to stop getting hung up on specific labels. They are sirens that exist to warn people of potential danger. That's really the only criteria that's needed for them to be used in my opinion.

I agree, they should blow themfor flash flood warnings as well.

• Dislike
Reactions: cstrunk

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
over in the CR area - they are saying no power for a week. yikes. this sucks!!!!!!!!

I was over in Marion most of today helping parents start digging out. It's a surreal scene. Seriously looks like a hurricane went through. Heading north on 13 barns were collapsed, big grain bins were flattened. Roofs and siding on houses gone. There are so many big old trees laying on literally every street, some pulled up by the roots with concrete sidewalks still attached. Everywhere you look there are widowmakers, massive tree limbs balancing up high on the trunk or barely hanging on. On the drive back I saw several small convoys of bucket trucks heading east on 80, hopefully that will speed up getting power back. It's a mess.

• Sad
Reactions: motorcy90

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Can you adopt my children before I kill them?

Just let them sort it out

tenor.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm in West Des Moines and initially didn't think there was a lot of damage in my area (obviously lots of trees and huge branches down, but not a whole lot of other things). However, I think there is some serious roof damage in my townhouse complex and one balcony is detached.

I can't imagine how much damage there.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Anybody complaining about any sirens yesterday is out of touch with reality.

On another note, are there any Beaverdale residents with power restored today?

my complaint about sirens is that we didn’t get any yesterday. I don’t know about anyone else that was in Ames but where I work on the NE side of Ames, I didn’t hear squat at all. We could’ve at least lubed up a little in preparation for that pounding we took.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm in West Des Moines and initially didn't think there was a lot of damage in my area (obviously lots of trees and huge branches down, but not a whole lot of other things). However, I think there is some serious roof damage in my townhouse complex and one balcony is detached.

I can't imagine how much damage there.

Detached balconies are the new open concept floor plan.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
my complaint about sirens is that we didn’t get any yesterday. I don’t know about anyone else that was in Ames but where I work on the NE side of Ames, I didn’t hear squat at all. We could’ve at least lubed up a little in preparation for that pounding we took.
I was driving back from work and heard one at about 10:45 as I was passing by Veenker.