5 guys Burgers

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Most expensive burger joint I have ever been to. I have to say it was a good burger. However, if you have a family of 4 or so. Go somewhere else or pay a dollar or two more and get steaks somewhere else.

Steaks? Either you like very cheap burgers or really cheap steaks

Reactions: Macloney

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For just a little bit more, I can go to Oklahoma Joe's and get some damn fine BBQ, so Red Robin, Five Guys and really all the 'high end' burger joints are just out of the rotation completely. Especially when the burgers they make aren't better than what I would make for myself at home.

I refuse to call it Joes KC as well. I haven't been to the one in OP, but the one in Olathe was much saltier than the original at the gas station. Did the OP store get it right?

Twisted (at least the one in Shawnee) is also pretty fantastic if you haven't tried it. I used to go there primarily for their fish tacos, but came away impressed with their burgers as well.

For that late night artery-clogging goodness, Town Topic is tough to beat.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The Culver's in Ames is god awful. Greasiest burger I've even eaten and bad fries.

I do notice a difference in burgers depending on which Culvers you go to. The one in Clear Lake are never greasy....almost too much so for my tastes. The one on Urbandales is always solid. Only been to Ames once and yes it was greasy, but I actually am OK with that.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I love 5 Guys burgers and the fries are great. We save a bit of money by ordering the li'l cheeseburger. You get plenty of fries and peanuts.

Also, I'm a big fan of Smashburger as long as you order the smashsauce on the burger.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
OK...much of the thread has me feeling OK about not trying 5 Guys yet. Probably will still need to go someday so I can form my own opinion.

I do have one question.

What is with the talk about "peanuts"??? I'd never think to put a fast food burger joint with offering peanuts. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just unexpected.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
OK...much of the thread has me feeling OK about not trying 5 Guys yet. Probably will still need to go someday so I can form my own opinion.

I do have one question.

What is with the talk about "peanuts"??? I'd never think to put a fast food burger joint with offering peanuts. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just unexpected.

IMO, Five Guys is good for what it is. It's a better burger than your standard fast food joints, but it's not elite. That's its niche, though. Between McDonalds and a great burger. It doesn't make sense to expect more than that.

I order a little cheeseburger, load it up with grilled mushrooms, grilled onions and jalapenos and then get a small fry and a drink. I think that runs around $10. It's pricey, but it's way better than your typical fast food joints. The meat actually tastes like meat and it doesn't leave me with a horrible I-shouldn't-have-done-that feeling.

As far as the peanuts, Five Guys has bulk peanuts in bins with paper trays that you can fill up while you wait or while you eat. It's a little weird, but some people really like it. If someone has a peanut allergy, I imagine that is what hell looks like to them.

• Agree
Reactions: ironsam

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I've never found 5 guys to be that expensive. You get enough fries to sink a cargo ship. And the burgers are really good.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
I like Fuddruckers better than most other burger joints though I haven't tried Red Robin.