21-22 pieces that fit

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I know it was commented in the TJ threads, but what is the real possibilities of Grill coming back? He'd be a nice wing that could jump right in and help TJ install his system.
He already used his one "free" transfer so would have to sit if he comes back.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I like guys on our roster, but we need more talent to compete with the top of the Big 12. Hunter is a talent upgrade. Foster has the potential to be a talent upgrade. I think JCL was our best player late and it would be great if he came back one more year. Bolton will need to learn to play off the ball. This might be hard for him. I liked how George, Tre, and Tyler all played late, but I think they are bench guys in this league. Maybe Hinson is the answer at the four, but he is an unknown for us. I would like to see TJ get a stud transfer. We need some Alpha Dogs. We were outmatched at almost every position most games.

• Agree
Reactions: coolmooinlou

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Why? Hunter and Foster are legit 4 star talents. Bolton is one of the better guards in the league. Hinson is a proven double digit scorer at the P5 level. Javan Johnson is an athletic forward. Conditt should have his best year ahead of him. Add a big time transfer. That rotation of 7-8 guys can compete for the 7th spot in the Big 12 and fight for the bubble next year.

I like your description of Johnson- he's an athletic forward, but not a point forward. I think we pressed him into that role at times for lack of a better option, and it led to a lot of turnovers. I think he's a tough match up at his size, and we just need to let him be that.

Reactions: isu83

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Let’s be real, this team’s ceiling is probably around 6 conference wins next year. Oklahoma and Oklahoma St might struggle to replace some of their guys next year, but we’re still in a league with Baylor, KU, Texas, Tech, and WVU. Those teams probably all sweep ISU. If you figure you can take one at home from OU, OSU, KSU, and TCU and maybe get one of them on the road and steal one from that top group at home, that gets you to 6, but it’s not easy. I think TJ can make this a competitive, fun team to watch, but it’s not an overnight bubble contender.

Javan was really good in that early stretch of conference play but didn’t seem to come back strong after the COVID lapse. Jackson and Harris are good bench pieces in this league if they’re willing to take that role. It’ll be interesting to see how TJ evaluates the freshmen. They’ve all got Big 12 bodies but we just didn’t see much from them this year - and I’m sure limited non-con didn’t help that development. Getting Rasir off the ball and developing Foster have to be the 2 top priorities for this roster. Big man depth is so sparse that it’d be nice to keep Conditt around too.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I know it was commented in the TJ threads, but what is the real possibilities of Grill coming back? He'd be a nice wing that could jump right in and help TJ install his system.

This doesn’t mean anything and I don’t know if too many people caught it, but when press conference was being streamed live over FB Lena Grill (Caleb’s Mom) congratulated him and said how excited she was for TJ. Must be on good terms still. Never known a player to transfer back but I am sure it has happened before.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’m not going to put the expectation of tournament team on TJ in year 1 or even year 2, but I do believe the transfer portal has made it easier than ever to go from an 0-18 conference team to a 9-9 conference team. It’s about finding 8 guys who can actually compete at the Big 12 level. I would argue Hunter, Bolton, Hinson, and Foster are the only ones that can do that. Jackson returning maybe as an 8th man.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Jackson is not good. Not sure what you are watching.
I mean he was our best on ball defender last year so it wouldn’t hurt us to keep him. Granted he is does need to improve on the offensive end. Let’s not forget he sprained he knee early in the year and you could tell he was not 100% when he came back

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I mean he was our best on ball defender last year so it wouldn’t hurt us to keep him. Granted he is does need to improve on the offensive end. Let’s not forget he sprained he knee early in the year and you could tell he was not 100% when he came back
I really like Jackson. I get the feeling that he is an awesome person. You never have to question his effort. His defense is solid. He was an awesome shooter in HS. We have seen flashes of that, but maybe TJ will give him the confidence to shoot like some of our sharp shooters of the past. I think he can be a good piece in the right role.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Why? Hunter and Foster are legit 4 star talents. Bolton is one of the better guards in the league. Hinson is a proven double digit scorer at the P5 level. Javan Johnson is an athletic forward. Conditt should have his best year ahead of him. Add a big time transfer. That rotation of 7-8 guys can compete for the 7th spot in the Big 12 and fight for the bubble next year.

Add 1 guy like Marcus Carr from Minnesota who is now in the transfer portal (averaged 19 PPG) with what you said above and we're there. Excitement would instantly be back at Hilton for next year. The magic could return that quickly.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Jackson would be fine in a smaller role, big 12 guards are just too much for him to defend for 30 minutes a night and he's a one trick pony on offense. If he could improve his playmaking and ball handling, his offense could keep him on the floor. 3 and D effort guy off the bench is the perfect role for him in this league right now. My only concern about him is that he and Harris are a bit too similar, I like them both but I would be okay with losing one of them.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Add 1 guy like Marcus Carr from Minnesota who is now in the transfer portal (averaged 19 PPG) with what you said above and we're there. Excitement would instantly be back at Hilton for next year. The magic could return that quickly.

Yeah, I'm hoping TJ is all over Marcus Carr already.... that would be a great addition.

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
When I watched a video highlight of Nader from the Suns' game last night, and of course thought of Morris, Thomas, Niang, etc....all those guys playing on NBA rosters... it slapped me back into reality just HOW MUCH talent we used to have and HOW FAR we have to go. TJ deserves some time, folks. No quick fix for the koolaid drinkers.

Reactions: BACyclone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Lol, I have a better chance of being in the starting lineup next year than Marcus Carr. You guys have no clue how heavily recruited he'll be. He'll be the most sought after transfer in the last 15-20 years.

Reactions: Shawker

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Success or failure next year will depend on guys who are not currently on the active roster. We need massive roster turnover.
I disagree with this. I think one of our issues the past few seasons. Is the constant turnovers of transfers and NBA drafts we lose players to. The biggest mark of improvement is normally the freshman to sophomore season. For transfers their second year in the system IMO.

if we can retain the roster with minimal players leaving, we can allow the staff to try and develop 4 year players that contribute at a higher clip in 2-3 years.

plus Veteran players in role positions are more successful due to being physically developed and having more experience than newcomers or freshman IMO.

I don’t expect 0 transfers, but I hope we can keep the number low if some do move on.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I disagree with this. I think one of our issues the past few seasons. Is the constant turnovers of transfers and NBA drafts we lose players to. The biggest mark of improvement is normally the freshman to sophomore season. For transfers their second year in the system IMO.

if we can retain the roster with minimal players leaving, we can allow the staff to try and develop 4 year players that contribute at a higher clip in 2-3 years.

plus Veteran players in role positions are more successful due to being physically developed and having more experience than newcomers or freshman IMO.

I don’t expect 0 transfers, but I hope we can keep the number low if some do move on.
This roster needs a purge of 3 or 4 players. You don't go 2-22 because of only inept coaching, some of the blame is on lack of talent.

I donr get into naming players but 4 of them need to leave and be recruited over because they aren't Big 12 level players.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I hate to say it, but there are 4-5 guys on our roster, who if they're playing the same minutes for us next year; we'll be right back in the cellar. I'm not sure they'll have other options to transfer and they may just want to play out the string. TJ my have to kick them out of the nest, which I hope 1) he's willing to do, and 2) he can upgrade the talent level.

It'll be an interesting couple of months, to see how next year's roster will shape up.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Lol, I have a better chance of being in the starting lineup next year than Marcus Carr. You guys have no clue how heavily recruited he'll be. He'll be the most sought after transfer in the last 15-20 years.

Did I say we were going to land him? I said one guy like him. Point is, the transfer portal is already full of great talent and we can turn this around in a hurry. Thanks for the insight though, Jeff Goodman.

Reactions: cyclonepsycho23