2023-2024 Line Up

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
With the transfer portal, I’m not sure I would RS anyone that could start.
That is a interesting take and I completely understand it. It also makes me wonder how many of these young guys will be put into the fire right away. Even Cael took a loss his rs year. His legacy wouldn't be the same without that rs year to develop. I can't help but wonder what if Casey would have redshirted. If he rs next year and finishes as a 3x AA then I think we will be looking back speculating that he could have been a 4x AA.

On the flip side we also have Grey shirts happening.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
It's interesting to play the "what if" game with Casey, but the fact is he earned his spot and defended it all season, despite his struggles. Who's to say that season-long struggle didn't help him develop better than a RS season would have? There are certainly two sides to everything.

Also, Casey's record would have looked a bit different if the potential 3 pt takedown and different riding time/mat wrestling rules were in place last season. If they are adopted, I think Casey will be even more of a beast.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Nobody was counting on Casey getting his shoulder messed up either, which is a key part of his offense. That set him back a ton and by then it was too late for the RS. Before his injury, almost everybody was looking at him as a high AA.

Nostradamus would have redshirted him but I can't blame the coaching staff for putting the best guy out there. He's still one of my favorite guys to watch & cheer for & the next 3 years will be fun.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Nobody was counting on Casey getting his shoulder messed up either, which is a key part of his offense. That set him back a ton and by then it was too late for the RS. Before his injury, almost everybody was looking at him as a high AA.

Nostradamus would have redshirted him but I can't blame the coaching staff for putting the best guy out there. He's still one of my favorite guys to watch & cheer for & the next 3 years will be fun.
I get your point and I'm also 100% behind our coaches... However, I can't help but wonder if the coaches would have slow played the Casey hand (like they did MJ) and had him go against 4 or 5 of the very top ranked opponents to help determine whether or not to pull the shirt. I know Casey came in and essentially ran everyone out of that weight which is awesome. However, the coaches still could have recommended that he wrestle sparingly in competitions and then make a final decision to pull the shirt after Christmas break. I also understand you can't predict injury but he was still taking some losses before his injury that may have given them a reason to change their mind on pulling the RS. I hope the best for Casey and do believe that this year provided him with tremendous progress. Again, I'm not mad at anybody but I do think it's an interesting conversation. My respect for Casey is at an all time high because of how he turned his season around and qualified for NCAA's and made it to R12. He's a competitor for sure and I'm so thankful he's a Cyclone. Coaching decisions will always be second guessed unless they work out perfectly which they rarely do.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

And he still damn near AA’d

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Will be interested to see which wrestlers were involved in the online gambling incident, but the wrestling program was mentioned.

Wait…what? Not good. First I’m hearing of this.

Edit: Just saw it. Hopefully this is just garden variety sports betting and not on our teams or their own team. Probably just a slap on the wrist if that’s all it is.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
125 - Terukina, Cabanban, Perryman, Fuessley
133/141 - Redding, Frost Boys, Grice, (plus mystery transfer)
149/157 - Kraisser, Swiderski, Paniro, Chittum, Euton
165 - Carr
174 - Gaitan, Rojas
184/197 - Feldkamp, Broderson, Naak
Heavy - Yonger, Schon

Someone talk me out of thinking this team can finish top 5, especially if we add this incredible mystery 141 transfer.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
165 - Carr
174 - Gaitan, Rojas
Heavy - Yonger, Schon

Someone talk me out of thinking this team can finish top 5, especially if we add this incredible mystery 141 transfer.
You are forgetting AE, and he is looking like the real deal right now.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
165 - Carr
174 - Gaitan, Rojas
Heavy - Yonger, Schon

I hope Helgeson is progressing, he can add some much needed depth and competition at the 174/197 range. Same goes for Fernando

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
165 - Carr
174 - Gaitan, Rojas
Heavy - Yonger, Schon

5-10 is all the same and easily forgotten. Top 4 gets you the hardware!

• Winner
Reactions: ISU22CY

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
125: Kysen
133: Redding
141: SMDMM
149: Echemendia/Paniro
157: Chittum
165: Carr
174: Gaitan
184: Feldkamp
197: Broderson
285: Bastida

If 125 can get their **** together and if Redding takes another jump this year...watch out!

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
125: Kysen
133: Redding
141: SMDMM
149: Echemendia/Paniro
157: Chittum
165: Carr
174: Gaitan
184: Feldkamp
197: Broderson
285: Bastida

If 125 can get their **** together and if Redding takes another jump this year...watch out!
I'm all in on Paniro. He's young and has already made huge jumps... just ask Gomez and Yanni. IF he improves even slightly he will win it all. Maybe AE can effectively make it down to 141.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
You are forgetting AE, and he is looking like the real deal right now.
Tiger have seen him roll around recently. I haven't for a couple years and that was at Ohio St. Freak athlete. Who's he been going against?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron