2022 Stock Market

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I can see a bear the rest of the winter or until Omicron burns out.

I think the inflation scare is more of the problem than Covid right now. I don’t think Covid is scaring people right now like it did early on. People are still going out and doing things, even here in the northeast. With December inflation month over month, or more normal, we may be getting over that hump now too, especially as production ticks up and supply chains get to pre Covid levels.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think the inflation scare is more of the problem than Covid right now. I don’t think Covid is scaring people right now like it did early on. People are still going out and doing things, even here in the northeast. With December inflation month over month, or more normal, we may be getting over that hump now too, especially as production ticks up and supply chains get to pre Covid levels.
It's a multitude of things coming together in my opinion:
- uncertainty with the size and frequency of rate hikes
- supply chain still sucks
- labor market. JP Morgan stock dropped 6% Friday because of their fear with wage inflation. If the biggest baddest bank in the world is worried about wage inflation, how will that do for small mom and pop businesses?
- covid isn't quite gone yet

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I don't think inflation is going anywhere soon. We had suppliers that raised prices in November, December and January, and are already warning that more are coming.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's times like this that I have to do a reality check. My retirement income is at 1.5x as much as it was just two years ago. It's double of what it was 5 years ago. I'm more worried about inflation eating into my assets.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Fed is going to have to raise rates 3-5 times this year to tame the inflation beast.

JPow just started his second term -- time to raise the Jolly Roger.

Could lead to a (gentle, albeit, I hope) double-dip recession depending on how it goes.

This stuff takes time, though. We're far from out of the woods. Some of the economic disruptions associated with the Great War in the 1910s were contributing factors to the Great Depression in the 1930s.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The Fed is going to have to raise rates 3-5 times this year to tame the inflation beast.

JPow just started his second term -- time to raise the Jolly Roger.

Could lead to a (gentle, albeit, I hope) double-dip recession depending on how it goes.

This stuff takes time, though. We're far from out of the woods. Some of the economic disruptions associated with the Great War in the 1910s were contributing factors to the Great Depression in the 1930s.

We’re not going anywhere good while 2500+ Americans are dying every day for weeks long cycles.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Ouch. Saw about 10 emails come in at 9am this morning which meant a handful of stop losses executed. Is it happy hour yet?