2022 Stock Market

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let’s fire up discussion for this year.

Yesterday I was doing really well when I checked. Checked this morning and my account showed a nice green number for today but way less than yesterday. Must have fell off the cliff at the end.

Will inflation keep driving this market or will something slow it or reverse it?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Let’s fire up discussion for this year.

Yesterday I was doing really well when I checked. Checked this morning and my account showed a nice green number for today but way less than yesterday. Must have fell off the cliff at the end.

Will inflation keep driving this market or will something slow it or reverse it?
Waiting on the feds to raise rates.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Waiting on the feds to raise rates.
Then comes the guessing game of what stocks push through and which to avoid. Will this be a year where avoiding many stocks will be a better return than just finding decent stocks? Is it a dividend stock year?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Then comes the guessing game of what stocks push through and which to avoid. Will this be a year where avoiding many stocks will be a better return than just finding decent stocks? Is it a dividend stock year?
So far my plan is to avoid more speculative plays. I’m gonna stick with the more historical players. Had a great year last year but am leaning more conservative this time around. Dividends are great too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
To not get political, if Covid can get under control I like the idea of travel based businesses, because people are antsy for vacations.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Glad you are off to a good start! I'm about to go short on $ROPE as I'm not sure how much further I can watch biotech stocks get pounded into the dirt... thinking the BILLIONS BP is raking in on an annualized basis with all things Covid leads to some buyouts/consolidation in the industry as many have maturing drug portfolios and 'not much' in the immediate pipelines and this reverses the trend/reignites interest in the sector.

On the plus side of my portfolio chipmakers and energy stocks continue to show strength.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
To not get political, if Covid can get under control I like the idea of travel based businesses, because people are antsy for vacations.
Yeah, I am avoiding my thoughts on inflation since it deal with government and could turn political. Personally I don’t see very many rate hikes, and mostly quarter bumps if they do.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Yeah, I am avoiding my thoughts on inflation since it deal with government and could turn political. Personally I don’t see very many rate hikes, and mostly quarter bumps if they do.
Did you see the FOMC minutes released yesterday? Seems there is agreement to taper asset purchases and raise rates.

Here is an excerpt: "It may become warranted to increase the federal funds rate sooner or at a faster pace than participants had earlier anticipated. Some participants also noted that it could be appropriate to begin to reduce the size of the Federal Reserve's balance sheet relatively soon after beginning to raise the federal funds rate. Some participants judged that a less accommodative future stance of policy would likely be warranted and that the Committee should convey a strong commitment to address elevated inflation pressures."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did you see the FOMC minutes released yesterday? Seems there is agreement to taper asset purchases and raise rates.

Here is an excerpt: "It may become warranted to increase the federal funds rate sooner or at a faster pace than participants had earlier anticipated. Some participants also noted that it could be appropriate to begin to reduce the size of the Federal Reserve's balance sheet relatively soon after beginning to raise the federal funds rate. Some participants judged that a less accommodative future stance of policy would likely be warranted and that the Committee should convey a strong commitment to address elevated inflation pressures."
Did not see them yet, thanks for posting.

I just think the FOMC is entering into rock and a hard spot area.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I didn't see this, but it's pretty obvious my accounts didn't miss the news....

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Not the stock market but investing/saving. Has anyone bought any I bonds? I was thinking about putting some of my money on some, that I have waiting to buy the dip when a market correction does come.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Nice return of nearly 25% on VTI in 2021. Throwing some more in there this week and waiting to see if 2022 can be as friendly.

to the new people you don’t need to guess about individual stocks to make money as long as you buy and hold something solid like VTI. Let the market do the work for you.

Reactions: NateTheBoss and bos

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Leaving my long-term retirement stuff alone in aggressive growth type funds but moving anything outside of retirement towards cash/very conservative investments. IMO if the fed raises rates/tapers purchases it will cause the stock market to drop. I will be an incremental buyer on the way down, increasing my contributions the lower the market gets to help drop my weighted average "purchase price."

Also like the travel/vacation play @JP4CY mentioned earlier if someone does want to do a little stock-picking.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If you like dividends check out ZIM. They are a cash generating machine and hand out an 18% annual yield. No idea how hard shipping will fluctuate, but there is a ton of potential.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Another stock for Dividends would be JEPI. It's a fund that does the covered call option strategy. ~8% dividend yield.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Leaving my long-term retirement stuff alone in aggressive growth type funds but moving anything outside of retirement towards cash/very conservative investments. IMO if the fed raises rates/tapers purchases it will cause the stock market to drop. I will be an incremental buyer on the way down, increasing my contributions the lower the market gets to help drop my weighted average "purchase price."

Also like the travel/vacation play @JP4CY mentioned earlier if someone does want to do a little stock-picking.
My problem with moving my holdings in a brokerage account is, all the taxes I'd have to pay on my earnings over this run, steep bill.

Im not in anything sexy, just various ETFs, but the markets been good none the less.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If you like dividends check out ZIM. They are a cash generating machine and hand out an 18% annual yield. No idea how hard shipping will fluctuate, but there is a ton of potential.

Did a quick look. Looks like Q3 and Q4 of 2021 was the only time a dividend was paid. Additionally, one of those dividends was a special dividend, so can't really count on that going forward. Has there been any new release by the company to indicate if they will be paying a regular dividend?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Did a quick look. Looks like Q3 and Q4 of 2021 was the only time a dividend was paid. Additionally, one of those dividends was a special dividend, so can't really count on that going forward. Has there been any new release by the company to indicate if they will be paying a regular dividend?

Not sure. They have a shload of cash it seems. Am curious where they put it. Once covid subsides, I’d imagine they will rocket with business. They just IPO’d January 28th of last year.

Edit: you do get taxed up on this so the divy comes down but still a great div. KEN is a holding company that has a 28% stake in ZIM and has a 7.8% yield. Would probably be a decent alternative that doesn’t come with an Israeli tax off the top.

Last edited: