2022 Stock Market

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Not the stock market but investing/saving. Has anyone bought any I bonds? I was thinking about putting some of my money on some, that I have waiting to buy the dip when a market correction does come.

I think I-Bonds (7.12%!) are a great place to put some cash that you don't need for the next 12 months.

Be aware that you can't cash out during the first 12 months and you will forfeit 3 months of interest if you cash out before 5 years. Also, you are limited to $10k per year per individual.

We're moving money from a "high interest" 12-month CD at 0.85% into I-Bonds. Set up Treasury Direct accounts for both me and my wife and moved half last month (2021) and will be moving the other half this month (2022).

The 7.12% holds only for the first 6 months, but even if it were to drop to zero after that, plus losing 3 months of interest, we're still getting a great short-term annual rate.

• Informative
Reactions: arobb and Neptune78

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I think I-Bonds (7.12%!) are a great place to put some cash that you don't need for the next 12 months.

Be aware that you can't cash out during the first 12 months and you will forfeit 3 months of interest if you cash out before 5 years. Also, you are limited to $10k per year per individual.

We're moving money from a "high interest" 12-month CD at 0.85% into I-Bonds. Set up Treasury Direct accounts for both me and my wife and moved half last month (2021) and will be moving the other half this month (2022).

The 7.12% holds only for the first 6 months, but even if it were to drop to zero after that, plus losing 3 months of interest, we're still getting a great short-term annual rate.
Right, all great notes, that I was aware of but good to post for anyone that's interested and unaware.

I bought some in November/December and thinking about buying 2,500 every quarter so I can cash out periodically, sort-of a ladder.

Reactions: BillyClone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not the stock market but investing/saving. Has anyone bought any I bonds? I was thinking about putting some of my money on some, that I have waiting to buy the dip when a market correction does come.
I put $10k in at the end of December and just put in another $10k yesterday. The website is typical government bad website but the process went smooth. I'm putting some of my emergency savings in there, knowing that I won't be able to pull it out for a year. Better than the .5% I was getting in my savings account

Reactions: Clonedogg

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Have you seen any accrued interest at all being added to your account? I read somewhere was supposed to add monthly (I have not seen anything). Or does it only accrue after 6 months/1year?

I know the website is legit, but the fact it seems like it was developed in the 1990s just worries me. Maxed out with 30k last year and probably adding some to start this year, but wanting to space out a bit for cash flow purposes.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Have you seen any accrued interest at all being added to your account? I read somewhere was supposed to add monthly (I have not seen anything). Or does it only accrue after 6 months/1year?

I know the website is legit, but the fact it seems like it was developed in the 1990s just worries me. Maxed out with 30k last year and probably adding some to start this year, but wanting to space out a bit for cash flow purposes.

Interest is accrued every 6 months. This is from TreasuryDirect website:

1642002309394.png

Reactions: cycfan1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had GMVD for a bit. Would bull ride it a bit. Lost interest and see I missed to huge bounce I thought was coming.

Last edited:

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

Another idea is to use crypto stablecoins to generate returns. For example, Gemini offers 8.05% APY on GUSD stablecoin deposits. You have access to funds at all times with no hold period and it compounds DAILY. If you are not familiar with crypto, this is a great way to dip your toe in.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Another idea is to use crypto stablecoins to generate returns. For example, Gemini offers 8.05% APY on GUSD stablecoin deposits. You have access to funds at all times with no hold period and it compounds DAILY. If you are not familiar with crypto, this is a great way to dip your toe in.
Where can you do this? I need to start crypto but since I’m not as familiar I seem to hesitate

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

A few details from their website that may help get you over the hump...

Stable and Fully-Backed
GUSD is a 1:1 USD-backed stablecoin issued by Gemini. Gemini customers can redeem a GUSD for $1 at Gemini.
Regulated and Insured
Gemini is a U.S. company regulated as a limited purpose trust company by the New York State Department of Financial Services.

Each GUSD corresponds to a U.S. dollar held by Gemini in accounts at U.S. FDIC-insured bank accounts and money market funds holding short-term U.S. treasury bonds and maintained at a custodian. The cash portion of these GUSD reserves may be eligible for FDIC “pass through” insurance for Gemini customers, in the event of the failure of a bank holding the U.S. dollar deposit portion of the GUSD reserves.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
It’s good to own land.

I stumbled onto this yesterday and it gave me a chuckle.

In what seems mostly likely to be a scam here is a great opportunity to own a portion of Little Cay Island in the Bahamas. Better pull together some funds. It's your chance to live Fyre Festival, lol!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron