***2022-23 MBB General Thread***

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So how many are cheering for K State? We need someone to carry the conference the rest of the tourney, because otherwise Texas is not a great consolation to that topic.

I'm cheering for UCONN to do well as I have them in the Final Four.

Also, Gonzaga - UCLA is a heck of a sweet 16 matchup!

Anyone latched onto any other teams to cheer for the rest of the way?
I'll root for Creighton. I think McD is a good dude.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
So how many are cheering for K State? We need someone to carry the conference the rest of the tourney, because otherwise Texas is not a great consolation to that topic.

I am rooting for KSU against MSU but don't want them to win anymore than that. Texas I am rooting against.

I am rooting for UCONN as I placed a bet future bet on them earlier in the year to win the whole thing even though I can't stand Hurley.
Gonzaga UCLA should be really good. I think Gonzaga will pull it off.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Tonight I am cheering for:

KSU
FAU
Arkansas
Zags

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'll root for Creighton. I think McD is a good dude.
Yeah, just seems like he's running a likeable program over there. That he's a genuine non-slimy coach. I picked them to go to the elite 8, so won't be upset they beat Izzo.
I am rooting for KSU against MSU but don't want them to win anymore than that. Texas I am rooting against.

I am rooting for UCONN as I placed a bet future bet on them earlier in the year to win the whole thing even though I can't stand Hurley.
Gonzaga UCLA should be really good. I think Gonzaga will pull it off.
I feel truly disgusting, but I picked Texas to win in both of my brackets. Showering won't even take that grossness away. They're one of the hottest teams the last 10, but so is UCONN and since we lost to them, we have to maintain our losing to past championship teams in the same season.

Yeah, that to me is the best matchup and should be an entertaining game. I do better in my brackets if UCLA wins, so cheering for them, but the demise of the Pac12 is always on the back burner.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Big 12 teams not named Texas, FAU, Princeton

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Really thought the B12 would have a better showing than it has. I see people picking the conference apart once again on twitter, but fail to realize they've won the past 2 ships and been in the past 3. Never mind that you know!

I believe KU would have won if not for Self's extenuating circumstances.

Nothing against Roberts but I watched him from my seats spend an entire timeout looking at his 3x5 notecard for which play to run late in the game. The refs came over to indicate the timeout was about over and he had to hurry up and draw up a play.

That is just one example, but that doesn't happen if Self is on the bench.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Really thought the B12 would have a better showing than it has. I see people picking the conference apart once again on twitter, but fail to realize they've won the past 2 ships and been in the past 3. Never mind that you know!

I was uncertain about how well Big 12 would perform in this tournament. Still definitely was strongest league in regular season (and postseason doesn't automatically prove that "wrong"), but it seemed like at least some of the top-tier teams are too inconsistent and/or missing pieces to make deep runs.

Definitely performing at or below seed level so far. Expected round based on seeding, and actual performance so far:

1 Kansas - Final Four; Round of 32.
2 Texas - Elite 8; still alive in Sweet 16.
3 Kansas State - Sweet 16; still alive in Sweet 16.
3 Baylor - Sweet 16; Round of 32.
6 TCU - Round of 32; Round of 32. (matched seed expectation)
6 Iowa State - Round of 32; Round of 64.
9 West Virginia - Round of 64; Round of 64. (matched seed expectation)

KSU and UT still could advance beyond seed expectation.

KU is only team that got bounced more than one round earlier than seeing.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Nothing against Roberts but I watched him from my seats spend an entire timeout looking at his 3x5 notecard for which play to run late in the game. The refs came over to indicate the timeout was about over and he had to hurry up and draw up a play.

Yep, there is a reason that Self will be in the Hall of Fame. If they had lost by 20, I'd say Self wouldn't have saved that. A one point loss? That's one better play call or one better decision at the right time.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I agree. That was definitely bad timing.
Big 12 teams not named Texas, FAU, Princeton
I forgot we can kinda claim Houston now.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yep, there is a reason that Self will be in the Hall of Fame. If they had lost by 20, I'd say Self wouldn't have saved that. A one point loss? That's one better play call or one better decision at the right time.
Some of the plays they ran down the stretch were very questionable. Heck when they were down three with like 20 seconds left Roberts called some slow developing play that ended in WIlson driving the ball to the hoop that took like 13 seconds off the clock.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Some of the plays they ran down the stretch were very questionable. Heck when they were down three with like 20 seconds left Roberts called some slow developing play that ended in WIlson driving the ball to the hoop that took like 13 seconds off the clock.
I wasn't able to see the second half, so I was just following the score on my phone.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
wisconsin just lost in the NIT semis not scoring a SINGLE ******* POINT the last 9:00 of the game. Not one point
That timeout by Gard was dumb. North Texas was scrambling and Wisconsin had numbers. Instead he calls a timeout with like 5 seconds left to setup a play against a set defense

Reactions: dahliaclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So the NIT championship game is on ESPN2 starting at 8:40? They give high school games better slots than that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I rarely follow NIT … but was in the mood for a pre-Final Four basketball game for the heck of it.

A few nuggets, beyond the main narrative of 4th meeting this season between UAB & UNT:
  • Both teams from Conference USA, both are joining AAC next season.
  • First intra-conference matchup in NIT final since 1998 ... Minnesota-Penn State (Minnesota title vacated)
  • First non-vacated intra-league NIT final was 1979 - Indiana vs. Purdue.
  • First time both teams in NIT final have green as a school color.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
North Texas wins the NIT. I know it's only the NIT, but they're having quite the on-court celebration, so obviously it means a lot to them. Good for them; really have developed into one of the best mid-major programs in the country. Now I fully expect Grant McCasland to be announced as the next coach of Texas Tech, but it would be hilarious if that fell through.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron