2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Hope it's ok to start an Olympic thread (didn't see another, except a specific thread on the Russians); but go ahead and merge if necessary.

Did you all see some of the track & field trials last night? Keep you eye on this U of Oregon runner - Galen Rupp. Holy crap; he's a beast in the 10K as laps about 1/3 of the field. They said his training program consists of running 145-miles per week @?@!!

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/July/01/US-Olympic-Team-Trials-For-Track-And-Field

In February, Rupp qualified for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games in the marathon in his very first attempt at the distance. Then on Friday night, Rupp won the 10,000-meter at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Track and Field. And on Monday, he’ll run the first round of the 5,000, another event in which he is a favorite to qualify for the Olympic team

Qualifying for the Marathon + 10K and 5K is insane; if he even medals in all three will be astounding; gold would be unbelievable.

Reactions: Doc

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Usain Bolt had a hamstring injury trying to qualify for the 100. It will suck if he cannot recover in time.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Body parts found at beach volleyball site, you can't make this stuff up. This is going to be one crazy Olympics..

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Body parts found at beach volleyball site, you can't make this stuff up. This is going to be one crazy Olympics..

Or the rowers competing in water continued with raw sewage. I think I saw that bacteria levels were something like 17x the level considered too high to swim in the US.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Or the rowers competing in water continued with raw sewage. I think I saw that bacteria levels were something like 17x the level considered too high to swim in the US.

Not to mention they contain super bugs that can't be killed with any type of antibiotic.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

The sailors were dodging bags of trash and furniture during some of their training sails... Nothing like coming out of the water with Hep A, B AND C and all from the same needle floating around the tides.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
When I was a kid I loved the Olympics, back in the cold war days with the USA vs Russians dynamic. Now, if anything, I find them sort of annoying. The ads start and my first thought is... is it that time again already. Much like the presidential election cycle.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
When I was a kid I loved the Olympics, back in the cold war days with the USA vs Russians dynamic. Now, if anything, I find them sort of annoying. The ads start and my first thought is... is it that time again already. Much like the presidential election cycle.

I like this time of year. The Tour started today, we get that until the week before the Olympics which will go until about 2 weeks before football starts. There is sports on TV again until June!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Love this time of year! We are at the US Swimming trials in Omaha. Our National Team alumni tickets have us sitting right behind the '76 swim team (the start of the DDR dominance, from juicing). It has been an amazing few days, spectacular athletes performing.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not sure why these Global competitions keep going to third world hell holes.... like Brazil and Qatar.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not sure why these Global competitions keep going to third world hell holes.... like Brazil and Qatar.

n7uPb9.gif

raw

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been saying for years I was not going to watch a minute of the Olympics because of the ridiculous drop wrestling fiasco but we'll see if I make good on it.

Also was upset as a Chicago resident who actually wanted it that Rio was a worse choice. Chicago obviously isn't perfect but would have been much better for countless reasons, Brazil just had the World Cup anyway.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Rio was picked over Chicago IIRC - at this point it's become so expensive that smart places are saying no thanks to the IOC and their corruption. I think Kazakhstan was a finalist for one down the road. Yeesh.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Rio was picked over Chicago IIRC - at this point it's become so expensive that smart places are saying no thanks to the IOC and their corruption. I think Kazakhstan was a finalist for one down the road. Yeesh.

Hopefully they'll at least get the Kazakhstan national anthem correct if the Olympics are held there.

[video=youtube;ou3lW32EXL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3lW32EXL0[/video]

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
The only good thing about the Winter Olympics is hockey. The only good thing about the summer olympics is that they only happen once every 4 years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's going to be pretty funny watching NBC spin these Olympics on how great everything is. Zika no problem, polluted water no problem, giant unsafe slums no problem.

Help Support Us

Become a patron