2 Seed in K.C.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
i want to win tonight and I don't get any apprehension to play anybody. It's March. Bring your 'A' game or go home.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
This is the bracket if Iowa State loses tonight:

bracket_image.php

Losing tonight is not in the ******. Oddly enough, the game start time sequences favor the 4 seed over the 2 seed. Having to beat WVU a 3rd time is maybe not exciting. But a day and half before playing Kansas, who is crawling across the finish line this year, would be huge. And then a 2 hour advantage over the lower bracket winner in the finals, could provide an edge for a team that likes to go up and down the floor. That was also part of the formula last year.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm not sure how the 2 seed in the conference tournament is still in play. Assuming we win today, we'd be tied with OU at 12-6. Looking at Big 12 Tiebreaker rules in order:

1. Head to head: we split with them, so we're still tied.
2. Each teams' record against conference opponents, in order of standing: We both split with Kansas, so still tied. The next team is Baylor (because Baylor swept WVU even though both finished 11-7). OU split with Baylor but we were swept by Baylor. Therefore, OU is the 2 seed and we are the 3 seed.

So if we win we are the 3 seed, and if we lose Baylor gets the 3 seed and we are the 4 seed.

EDIT: I read the tiebreaker rules wrong. Because Baylor and WVU finished with the same record, we compare the pooled records against both teams. OU split with both (2-2) and we were swept by Baylor but swept WVU (2-2). So still tied there. The next team is Texas, who we both swept - still tied. The next team is OSU, who we both swept - still tied. The next team is KSU, who beat OU twice but split with us. Therefore ISU would get the two seed. So if we beat TCU we get the 2, if we lose we get the 4. No chance at the 3.

Last edited:

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I'd rather be the 4 seed for the big 12 tourney. Though a loss against TCU would likely make us a 4 seed in the big tourney which i do not want.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not sure how the 2 seed in the conference tournament is still in play. Assuming we win today, we'd be tied with OU at 12-6. Looking at Big 12 Tiebreaker rules in order:

2. Each teams' record against conference opponents, in order of standing: We both split with Kansas, so still tied. The next team is Baylor (because Baylor swept WVU even though both finished 11-7). OU split with Baylor but we were swept by Baylor. Therefore, OU is the 2 seed and we are the 3 seed.

So if we win we are the 3 seed, and if we lose Baylor gets the 3 seed and we are the 4 seed.

EDIT: I read the tiebreaker rules wrong. Because Baylor and WVU finished with the same record, we compare the pooled records against both teams. OU split with both (2-2) and we were swept by Baylor but swept WVU (2-2). So still tied there. The next team is Texas, who we both swept - still tied. The next team is OSU, who we both swept - still tied. The next team is KSU, who beat OU twice but split with us. Therefore ISU would get the two seed. So if we beat TCU we get the 2, if we lose we get the 4. No chance at the 3.

Wow. That is going a long way to determine a tiebreaker! But it makes sense.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Technically, it's the combined record against OSU, Texas and KSU since they all tied for 6th. ISU was 5-1 against those teams, OU was 4-2.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Gonna be an awesome tournament for fans.

No kidding. Assuming all goes according to chalk:

Thurs:
Baylor/WVa
KU/KSU
ISU/UT
OU/oSu

Friday:
Baylor/KU
ISU/OU

Champ:
KU/ISU (or KU/OU, or BU/ISU, or BU/OU)

Those all sound like some pretty awesome games to watch

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Hope we take care of business. I want Baylor in the ship.
Get revenge on the 2 losses this year and would be able to scalp tix easily.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
I am super nervous about TX. Never fun playing a team trying to get off the bubble, needing the win and has the name Texa$ across the front of the jersey. Not going to be easy, very stressful. Hope I'm wrong.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I want Baylor in the ship as well even though I think we beat KU if we play them. Honestly, the only game that has me hung up is our first one, otherwise I think we 'peat.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Not reading this entire thread. Yeah, yeah! Way to grab the 2 seed!

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm just thinking Texas is a 7 seed for a reason. I like this match up way more than WVU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron