2/22-24 Winter Weather Thread

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Jeez, I don't even live in Iowa, and I'm depressed just looking at these threads.

Me too. I’m going out for a nice little bike ride this afternoon and just going to think about what I would be doing if we’re in DSM. I mean don’t get me wrong I love watching HBO shows and jerking it all day but that only lasts for a couple weeks and the next thing you know you’re making Gatorade bottle meth in your garage.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Me too. I’m going out for a nice little bike ride this afternoon and just going to think about what I would be doing if we’re in DSM. I mean don’t get me wrong I love watching HBO shows and jerking it all day but that only lasts for a couple weeks and the next thing you know you’re making Gatorade bottle meth in your garage.

Does Gatorade bottle meth melt snow? If it does, I'm off to the store for supplies.

Reactions: Doc

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does Gatorade bottle meth melt snow? If it does, I'm off to the store for supplies.

Great question. Maybe a science guy could answer that? If it doesn’t melt it directly it would at least create the time, focus and energy to get a propane tank with a hose/heat extension and go out and melt everything yourself.

How funny would it be if your your whole property was melted and the rest of the hood looks like the North Pole?

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
And I think another one on deck for early next week as well. Awesome.

My snow moving bill is going to be high this year.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Most snow in February in twin cities history by the end of the week. neat.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

POTY NOMINEE

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Got my single stage snowblower finally running yesterday. Dang magneto had a bunch of surface rust on and I had it running back in November. Got it cleaned off and it started on the first crank! Also had to get more regular gas for my two-stage snowblower. Plain gas in a 3 gallon container for it , 50:1 oil/gas in another one (single stage snowblower), and a 40:1 oil/gas in another container (leaf blower and weedeater). Pain just trying to keep them all straight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Got my single stage snowblower finally running yesterday. Dang magneto had a bunch of surface rust on and I had it running back in November. Got it cleaned off and it started on the first crank! Also had to get more regular gas for my two-stage snowblower. Plain gas in a 3 gallon container for it , 50:1 oil/gas in another one (single stage snowblower), and a 40:1 oil/gas in another container (leaf blower and weedeater). Pain just trying to keep them all straight.

I had to buy a new two stage yesterday. Set me back about $850 for a Toro but it was going to cost almost $600 to repair the old one. So the bad news is that I'm broke, but the good news is that I won't have to shovel tomorrow or this weekend or the next storm or the next or the one after that...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Great, haven't even gotten through the storm of the 2/19-20 and we're already talking about the next one.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I had to buy a new two stage yesterday. Set me back about $850 for a Toro but it was going to cost almost $600 to repair the old one. So the bad news is that I'm broke, but the good news is that I won't have to shovel tomorrow or this weekend or the next storm or the next or the one after that...
I need to fix my two stage, gonna cost over $200 from my guess as I need to get a new cowl.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

I have a Toro 826LE that I picked up 5 years ago for $350 barely used from an older gentleman moving to Arizona. I absolutely love that thing. It is a snow moving beast. Only thing I've done is oil changes, spark plugs and routine maintenance.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have a Toro 826LE that I picked up 5 years ago for $350 barely used from an older gentleman moving to Arizona. I absolutely love that thing. It is a snow moving beast. Only thing I've done is oil changes, spark plugs and routine maintenance.

I got the 824OE. I'm hopeful; Toro seems to have a pretty good reputation. The last one was a Sears Craftsman that never was all that reliable. Admittedly, I probably could have done a better job with the basic maintenance of it. There was at least one year where I forgot to empty the gas tank after the last snowfall.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I got the 824OE. I'm hopeful; Toro seems to have a pretty good reputation. The last one was a Sears Craftsman that never was all that reliable. Admittedly, I probably could have done a better job with the basic maintenance of it. There was at least one year where I forgot to empty the gas tank after the last snowfall.

Thats the updated version of the one I have. I have yet to run out of power on mine. This past weekend, at the end of the driveway the drift as was tall as the hopper, it went right through in gear, you can tell it was a load but kept moving. It throws the snow a long distance too. Its a great machine.
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on your first time using it tomorrow.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I went with all straight fuel motors a few years ago. So nice to have one 5 gallon tank for everything.

Reactions: cyfanatic