***Official 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread***

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
UVA came into the play-in game ranked 67th in Kenpom. A few of the teams the genius selection committee picked them over:

St John's (26)
Wake Forest (31)
Cincy (37)
Pitt (41)
Indiana State (43)
Oklahoma (45)

What an absolute joke
Virginia will finish their season now ranked 73rd in Kenpom, which is 24 spots lower than the next lowest P6 team that didn't get an AQ

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The amount of 'experts' that have Illinois going far in their brackets is mindboggling to me. They aren't bad but they aren't great. I have this weird sense they kind of remind me of our season we lost to UAB. Team that was 'hot' late winning their league title and everyone jumped on the bandwagon and many had us going very far that year. Dunno...not saying they are gonna lose to Morehead State but I really really don't see them beating BYU.
I saw a stat yesterday that in the KenPom era, no team with a top offense and a defense >100 has made the Sweet 16. That was in reference to Alabama (3 Off; 112 Def), but Illinois is not far from that arbitrary threshold (2 Off; 92 Def).

UIUC / ISU would be a fascinating matchup of #2 offense vs #2 defense; but our offense is a magnitude better than their defense. If we don't throw an offensive clunker, we should beat them if they even get that far.

I'm glad the tough draw prevented everyone from jumping on our "final four bandwagon".

Reactions: dahliaclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
UVA came into the play-in game ranked 67th in Kenpom. A few of the teams the genius selection committee picked them over:

St John's (26)
Wake Forest (31)
Cincy (37)
Pitt (41)
Indiana State (43)
Oklahoma (45)

What an absolute joke

Yes but if you don't take Virginia then the #8 media market in D.C. has no one to tune in and root for. It isn't about them being worse than the teams you listed, it's about them being the only arguable option of UVA, WVU, VT, and Maryland.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think it is interesting and probably needed that Bennett said they were going to evaluate their system this offseason. I think part of the problem is that he hasn't been getting as good of players as he was previously.

• Agree
Reactions: ABECyguy

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Rethinking what to do with KU this morning in my bracket and decided to leave them where I had them, in the sweet 16 getting rolled by Purdue. A well-rested KU with 4 of their starters still overwhelms a good mid-major, and I still think Gonzaga is absolute trash. KU with the easiest path in the tournament to a S16

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I think it is interesting and probably needed that Bennett said they were going to evaluate their system this offseason. I think part of the problem is that he hasn't been getting as good of players as he was previously.
Oh cool, when they underwhelm next season, the committee can put them in again, because ‘UVA is bravely trying a “new system” and it wouldn’t be fair to penalize them just because their metrics are bad and they compare poorly to other teams’…

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That’s what I gathered but I still don’t get it. Do people think that’s somehow a sign they weren’t locked in or focused? That’s the part I don’t understand…

yes. plus Dejan-Jones threw a tantrum at half time.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Apparently, it's really hard to get transfers into school there so he has to sit out the portal for the most part and has to develop in house. You can't win young anymore.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Rethinking what to do with KU this morning in my bracket and decided to leave them where I had them, in the sweet 16 getting rolled by Purdue. A well-rested KU with 4 of their starters still overwhelms a good mid-major, and I still think Gonzaga is absolute trash. KU with the easiest path in the tournament to a S16
They were very inconsistent when McCullar didn't play. Blowout wins and also blowout losses. But I definitely could see them getting to sweet 16 because Samford is tiny and I think if they play well they should win that game and Gonzaga isn't great defensively and also they only go about 7 deep is well. I can also see Purdue having a stinker of a game against TCU and getting beat before the sweet 16. I picked Gonzaga to go to the Elite Eight.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Apparently, it's really hard to get transfers into school there so he has to sit out the portal for the most part and has to develop in house. You can't win young anymore.
I was wondering how much the academic part was playing in. That makes a lot of sense as to why they are struggling.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Why is there no blowback nationally for Self saying KU will be full strength to make sure KU got a 4 seed? And of course he lied.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Why is there no blowback nationally for Self saying KU will be full strength to make sure KU got a 4 seed? And of course he lied.
The committee should have placed zero reliance on any coaches comments about players status. They should only evaluate if the players played or not in the conf. tournament. Players didn't play... drop their seed. IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I think KU is on upset watch in Rd 1.