2023-2024 MBB computer projections thread

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Yeah if I had to choose I think Gilbert is the leading scorer. Just because he played at a higher level than the other 2
TJ made Paveletzke the priority SG from the start and it wasn't for his defense. His ability to slide over some PG means he'll be on the floor for 25+ minutes per game when not starting at the 2. With Omaha and King pounding the paint he should get a number of open looks. My money is on Pav averaging 13ish pts per game.

Unlike the past two years thought the I expect there won't be a huge gap from the primary scores to the next 4. I would guess Pav, Gilbert, Omaha, King and Jones all challenge for a double digit scoring averages.

Omaha will get 10+ppg just off hustle / put backs / transition and could lead the team in scoring if the improvement in his 3 pt his Sr year translates to college right away (not predicting it but possible).

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I would switch Gilbert and Paveletzke but this feels pretty accurate. Omaha right there near Tamin and Milan around 8 ppg I would guess.
Obviously it so hard to tell-

we're talking about probably 1-2 point differential right now, anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
1. Gilbert
2. C. Jones
3. King
4. Biliew
5. Paveletzke/Momcilovic/Lipsey

Gonna be very close 1-5 with high being around 13/14pts low being around 8/9
Never watched any of these transfers play but Gilbert seems to be getting way overhyped based on his UNLV stats. Sure UNLV is rated better but they still were not very good. Expecting a 11 ppg UNLV transfer to lead the team in scoring means he either takes a huge leap or we suck. Honestly, I'd rank Gilbert as the 3rd best transfer of the 3... and by a longshot. I might take Omaha or Tamin as the leading scorer purely based off they probably will average 30 mpg, the rest of the squad will be fighting for 15-25 mpg.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Never watched any of these transfers play but Gilbert seems to be getting way overhyped based on his UNLV stats. Sure UNLV is rated better but they still were not very good. Expecting a 11 ppg UNLV transfer to lead the team in scoring means he either takes a huge leap or we suck. Honestly, I'd rank Gilbert as the 3rd best transfer of the 3... and by a longshot. I might take Omaha or Tamin as the leading scorer purely based off they probably will average 30 mpg, the rest of the squad will be fighting for 15-25 mpg.
I wouldn't base your assumption on Gilber based solely off his PPG.

He could easily average 12-13 a game for us and would that lead the team? Maybe.

We could have 4/5 guys that average 8-13 points a game.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I have to disagree on Gilbert being far behind the transfers. Pav is likely the "best" on potential transfer TJ landed but Gilbert isn't far behind.
I watched a couple of UNLV games to see his game and he has the ability to play on and off the ball, a better then average 3 pt shot, finish through contact, rebounds well for a guard and is a tenacious on ball defense. All those traits and with his size/speed will translate right away to the Big 12.
TJ recruited him out of HS and knows what he'll add to his system and I assume has a number of minutes slotted for him next year.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022

I wouldn't base your assumption on Gilber based solely off his PPG.

He could easily average 12-13 a game for us and would that lead the team? Maybe.

We could have 4/5 guys that average 8-13 points a game.
Coach Hines is correct, was very efficient in the limited number of shots he took. I imagine he will have the ball in his hands a lot, especially at end of clock situations.

Also cyclone125, saying he's overhyped and 3rd best of the transfers after saying you haven't seen any of them play is kind of laughable

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Coach Hines is correct, was very efficient in the limited number of shots he took. I imagine he will have the ball in his hands a lot, especially at end of clock situations.

Also cyclone125, saying he's overhyped and 3rd best of the transfers after saying you haven't seen any of them play is kind of laughable
I said “based off his UNLV stats”. On paper, he’s definitely #3 of the transfers and most of the transfer ranking sites match that. Pav was more efficient.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Update after adding Jones --

1681918814101.png

They've slipped to #37. I think that is more additions from other high-major teams, though.

This projection would put the leading scorers as...

Biliew
Lipsey
Gibert
Jones
Paveletzke
Momcilovic
Jones
King
Watson
Hamilton

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

View attachment 112253

They've slipped to #37. I think that is more additions from other high-major teams, though.

Biliew
Lipsey
Gibert
Jones
Paveletzke
Momcilovic
Jones
King
Watson
Hamilton
That computer program doesn't understand Tre King.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
All models are wrong. Some are useful.

I don't think the Torvik model is about projecting lineups or statistical outputs by player next year so much as benchmarking Iowa State relative to its peers in terms of returning productivity, expected development from returning players, and the rough impact the transfers and freshmen might have.

Done in those terms, we look like this (defining "peers" as the Big 12) --

1681920634878.png

Looks pretty good! But not a lot of differentiation between Iowa State and Oklahoma.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
All models are wrong. Some are useful.

I don't think the Torvik model is about projecting lineups or statistical outputs by player next year so much as benchmarking Iowa State relative to its peers in terms of returning productivity, expected development from returning players, and the rough impact the transfers and freshmen might have.

Done in those terms, we look like this (defining "peers" as the Big 12) --

View attachment 112254

Looks pretty good! But not a lot of differentiation between Iowa State and Oklahoma.
That looks about right with what the rosters are as of now. Going to be another jumbled mess in the middle. I think the opportunity is certainly there for this ISU team to finish that high.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

View attachment 112253

Biliew
Lipsey
Gibert
Jones
Paveletzke
Momcilovic
Jones
King
Watson
Hamilton
King will be averaging closer to 10 and 6 per game than these silly projections. I also think they're underselling Gilbert's PPG by 2. Take that into account and that's 6-7 more ppg which would probably bump us up another 15-20 spots. These projections seem to like Biliew a lot. He's a guy that could also average more if he is aggressive enough on the offensive end.

Reactions: Acer88

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis

View attachment 112253

Biliew
Lipsey
Gibert
Jones
Paveletzke
Momcilovic
Jones
King
Watson
Hamilton
Curtis Jones at 2.3 PRPG! is WAYYY higher than I expected.