2023-2024 MBB computer projections thread

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Disagree. Big difference between low major sub 300 teams than bad power conference teams. Nebraska finished #94 on KenPom and Minnesota won't be historically bad every year. 5 of the teams on our schedule next year finished below 300.

This is a schedule we would of preferred in Otz's first year starting from ground zero. Not when we have a preseason fringe Top 25 team. Better hope we win these games by margin.

Again, it doesn’t really matter. Win them all and not get to 8 wins in the conference and we’re not going to make it. Lose a few that we shouldn’t and we’re probably not going to get to and/or not good enough to get to 8 wins in the league anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The schedule doesn't look very good on paper but it's probably about even with last year's minus the SEC game.

The ESPN event will be an opportunity for a couple Quad 1 wins.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
The schedule doesn't look very good on paper but it's probably about even with last year's minus the SEC game.

The ESPN event will be an opportunity for a couple Quad 1 wins.
Correct, UNC and Villanova not making the tournament makes our out of conference pretty bad last year. I imagine a handful of the Orlando teams will end up being better than those 2

Reactions: NoCreativity

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'd rather challenge the freshman in November to prepare them for the conference slate than go have a REALLY weak schedule.. We are deep and I would rather test the guys against Q1 games.. The committee doesn't punish you for losing to tournament teams, but the computers will crush you if you don't blow out bad opponents

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd rather challenge the freshman in November to prepare them for the conference slate than go have a REALLY weak schedule.. We are deep and I would rather test the guys against Q1 games.. The committee doesn't punish you for losing to tournament teams, but the computers will crush you if you don't blow out bad opponents

It’s kind of important to note that this isn’t a situation where ISU just gets to go out and be like, “Hey Gonzaga, Duke, UNC, UConn, we’re playing a non-con game.”

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
It’s kind of important to note that this isn’t a situation where ISU just gets to go out and be like, “Hey Gonzaga, Duke, UNC, UConn, we’re playing a non-con game.”
Don't need a blue blood.. I'm 99% of the time against playing UNI or Drake anymore at their house, but at Drake in 2023 would be a likely Quad 1 game... How many Cyclone fans would go to that?? IMO, it would feel like a nuetral site game.

That is A LOT better than playing some Pac-12 school in Sioux Falls

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't need a blue blood.. I'm 99% of the time against playing UNI or Drake anymore at their house, but at Drake in 2023 would be a likely Quad 1 game... How many Cyclone fans would go to that?? IMO, it would feel like a nuetral site game.

That is A LOT better than playing some Pac-12 school in Sioux Falls

I know those wearing the green eyeshades spend a lot more time studying this and it always comes down to money, but I don't know how interesting matchups (e.g., instate mid-major rivals like Drake and UNI or home and home series with non-Big 12 high-major teams, especially those in the Midwest) can somehow make less money with their likely ticket prices and as a television product in comparison to playing the Indiana University-Purdue University-Shipashanwa Barnbuilders and beating them by 40 playing only the freshmen.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Q1 wins are cool brag about, but how far does it really get you? Iowa St had the most? this past year and were still a 6 seed. Plus most (all of them?) were in conference. I'd much rather be 12-1 or even 11-2 in non con, and let the Big 12 schedule determine if you're a tournament team, and if you are, how high you're seeded.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Q1 wins are cool brag about, but how far does it really get you? Iowa St had the most? this past year and were still a 6 seed. Plus most (all of them?) were in conference. I'd much rather be 12-1 or even 11-2 in non con, and let the Big 12 schedule determine if you're a tournament team, and if you are, how high you're seeded.
We lost10 of our last 15 games. The Q1 wins got us the 6 seed.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Wasn't the argument that kept Oklahoma State out of the 2023 tournament that they lost too many Q1 games (even though they had more Q1 wins than higher seeds)?

As far as tourney selection process goes, in my opinion Q2-Q4 wins can paint a picture of a team's floor. Q1 (and Q2-Q4) losses paint a picture of a team's ceiling.

Coaching my kids through a few different sports, my goal was to find the highest level of competition that they could be reasonably successful at. Maybe TJ sees a bit of a learning curve this year and is taking a conservative approach?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
We lost10 of our last 15 games. The Q1 wins got us the 6 seed.
I meant q1 non con games. The Big 12 wins got us in the tournament, and who they were against got us the 6 seed. We're still playing this games next year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Valid point. High-end programs probably don't have ISU on speed-dial for scheduling. I do my share of whining about non-con schedules, but I also know realistic limits are involved.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

cjkimm15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
@CoachHines3 (or anybody with Twitter really) --

Can you Tweet at Torvik that the Iowa State projection is missing Jeremiah Williams?

https://www.barttorvik.com/rosters24.php?team=Iowa+St.&year=2023

View attachment 112074

I can't find a way to add him back in. He should be there even if he'll be a soft launch to start the season.

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb
Also, Big Rob’s minutes/usage won’t end up being nearly what is projected here. At least I would hope not.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also, Big Rob’s minutes/usage won’t end up being nearly what is projected here. At least I would hope not.

21.2 MPG is high but not like ridiculous.

The Torvik model is never going to be perfect.

I just don't want it to be abjectly wrong (e.g., missing Williams).

Reactions: Cyclad

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron