Dwayne Pierce commits, third top 100 prospect in the 2024 class

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think TJ would still go for the dream positionless basketball team if he could muster it. A roster full of 6'8" guys who can all handle and can guard every position so you can switch on every screen without any issue. You may give up a little in the post but when their 6'3 point guard is mismatched on defense on everyone it is more than made up.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Even if he doesn't up being a point guard, he can be a point wing type player.

Total agree. Pierce wont be a Monte Morris or Lipsey traditional distributor PG. I do think he can handle the ball proficiently to initiate the offense in stretches. He's a versatile combo guard/wing who can play 1-3 (maybe some 4 if they go small). I like the Smart and Kane comparisons that have been mentioned both are big guards who can handle but best off the ball.
I look Pierce to be utilized like Holmes is this year. Starting at the 2 guard but can initiate the offense when Lipsey needs a breather. In truth prioritizing Pierce shows the belief in Lipsey and Williams as the "true" PG's for the next 3 years. The staff believes that it makes a lot of sense taking Pierce who ceiling is very high and will be able to see the floor early in his time in Ames at the PG,SG, or SF where needed.

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
I think TJ would still go for the dream positionless basketball team if he could muster it. A roster full of 6'8" guys who can all handle and can guard every position so you can switch on every screen without any issue. You may give up a little in the post but when their 6'3 point guard is mismatched on defense on everyone it is more than made up.
So a roster full of Royce White's.... that's my wet dream

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

First comparison that came to me (showing my age a bit): '88-89 Illinois.

I could live with something like that.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Came to say the same 1-5 is pretty fluid at this point in the game globally.

Dribblers, passers, shooters and defenders. And you still can't teach height.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Pierce is not a point guard or even a combo guard really. He is a versatile jumbo guard who can handle the ball, facilitate, and score. The THT comp seems perfect and the staff directly told him that too.

“They told me I should watch Jaren Holmes and compared me to Talen Horton Tucker. They’re big guards and I’m a big guard. I get down hill, facilitate and get others involved.”

Scouting Pierce​

At 6-foot-5 with long arms, and a thick and powerful frame, Pierce is a jumbo-wing. He may be younger than most of his counterparts, but is already bigger and stronger, if not necessarily more explosive, than most.

He excels at getting downhill and bullying opposing defenders, particularly in the open floor. He’s also willing to take smaller defenders into the post in the half-court and has a very good left-hand for a right-handed player.

The biggest source of untapped potential in his game is his passing. He shows some real flashes of floor-vision and being able to facilitate on the wing, but can simultaneously be very turnover prone. Not unlike many outwardly talented youngsters, he can struggle as much with shot-selection as he does decision-making at times.

Pierce also some has some long-term shooting potential, with relatively clean mechanics, but is currently a more consistent threat in the mid-range and in.

Defensively, he possesses all the physical tools to be versatile down the road, but needs to buy into that role on a consistent basis.

Overall, there’s a vast amount of potential versatility, on both ends of the floor, so long as he shows the resiliency, consistency, and accountability to keep developing along a linear trajectory.

-247 Director of Scouting Adam Finkelstein

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I don't think the staff sees him as someone who will play the 1 exclusively. In 2024 Lipsey and Williams (pure points) will each be juniors assuming Williams takes an injury redshirt and uses his COVID year. So they didn't need to take a pure PG in this class just to cover that position. Pierce being a big guard who can bring the ball up, like Holmes, in a situation where Lipsey and Williams are both off the floor seems to cover enough of the need. And he appears to the better prospect between him and Asuma as well as better fit in our no-middle defense with his size. And, if there's an injury or transfer, then Pierce could handle the backup duties like Holmes has this year in a worst case scenario.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think he's trying to get their in a hurry. Defensively if you can switch everything, it opens up a world of possibilities.

Next year - even before transfers - we can go:
Williams 6'4"
Hamilton 6'5"
Watson 6'6"
Omaha 6'8"
Tre King 6'8"

and have size and tremendous athleticism at all 5 positions.

bradcyclone

Jan 25, 2009
Oh Oh, did Iowa State commit a recruiting violation and who ever runs the social Media Platforms for the team has a Facebook and Instagram Story that says he is now committed?

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Gonna go resurrect the TJ hire thread and laugh myself to sleep (I had a few bad takes in there too).
You’re preaching to the choir. I was upset at how Jamie didn’t look elsewhere and was only zeroing in on his friend. I have since did 1000 hail Mary’s and hand made 100 rosary’s. I am not even Catholic.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron