Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
What I've learned (or had reinforced) this tax season:
1. Companies and schools are quite aggressive with the idea of not withholding when the charts say you're a low earner. I get it, but that comes back to bite us multiple job people.
2. Somewhere along the line, answers to come later this afternoon, ISU changed the pay from our verbal agreement, so I missed out on $1600 or more.
3. If your employer didn't withhold at all, but you earned a bunch more, even the bit that's in that next tax bracket will crush you.
4. The IRS has an online calculator so you can tinker with this stuff during the year if you're up on it. That would have required a less fried me, but it's there and sounds very handy.
5. Never again with the part-time thing. Just never again. I don't think anyone's calling me anyway, so big words, but never again. That was a massive, unforced, unnecessary mistake.
6. If anyone needs a kidney and wants to pay top dollar, I'm listening.
Do I have your permission to resell said kidney?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Wanted to "dislike" due to the contents of this post. Also wanted to "win" it due to correct use of "role". I get so tired of people posting something about the "roll" a player is handling. We aren't a bake shop...
If we opened a bakery and we all got to choose our favorite job, what roll would be your favorite?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I've learned that HR people that talk a lot aren't very good about keeping their mouths shut about confidential information.
Reminds me a bit of a team lunch we had where one of the things we did was go around the room and say if we could have any job in the company what would it be. The best was one of the managers who said "I want to be the person that answers the phone at the ombudsman's office. Get to know all the juicy things going on in the company. Gurrrl he did what?" just the way she said it was amazing.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In this last storm we ended up getting about 1 inch of snow, followed by some sleet and then about another inch of snow.
Yesterday while cleaning my walks I started my truck to let it warm up. When I went to scrape the thick crust off the windshield a darn wiper blade broke off the attachment that holds it to the arm.
I stopped by the auto parts store and a single wiper blade cost $35 :oops: :mad: :oops: :mad: :oops: :mad: :oops: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: CloneLawman

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Reminds me a bit of a team lunch we had where one of the things we did was go around the room and say if we could have any job in the company what would it be. The best was one of the managers who said "I want to be the person that answers the phone at the ombudsman's office. Get to know all the juicy things going on in the company. Gurrrl he did what?" just the way she said it was amazing.
It is not unusual for graduates with any type of writing major (e.g. journalism, creative writing) to take a job as a probation officer assistant. The job involves an extensive amount of editing. If this goes well, the next logical step on the employment ladder is to become a pretrial service investigative (PSI) officer. In this position you do an extensive amount of interviewing and writing. When I was working in the probation office, one of the PSI's gave a presentation describing her position. She had a writing degree from college.

"I love this job! This is literally my dream job. I was a literature major and I love dramatic stories and gossip. The stuff I write is so juicy. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried!"

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
It is not unusual for graduates with any type of writing major (e.g. journalism, creative writing) to take a job as a probation officer assistant. The job involves an extensive amount of editing. If this goes well, the next logical step on the employment ladder is to become a pretrial service investigative (PSI) officer. In this position you do an extensive amount of interviewing and writing. When I was working in the probation office, one of the PSI's gave a presentation describing her position. She had a writing degree from college.

"I love this job! This is literally my dream job. I was a literature major and I love dramatic stories and gossip. The stuff I write is so juicy. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried!"
Take it from a former prosecutor...she is not wrong.

Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.