2022/23 Coaching Staff Changes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
One factor no one has mentioned that strikes me about Langs and Poteat, is that we may well have strengthened outer recruiting in Indiana and Pittsburgh.

That would seem to be a non inconsequential factor.
Was reading that Langs and staff at Indiana Wesleyan were also recruiting Michigan and Illinois pretty heavily as well.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I like that he was a HEAD coach who won a lot of games. There is a skill or mojo or whatever-you-want-to-call-it that goes into winning that goes beyond just scheme and development and prep, et al. Some guys just win, hopefully Langs has that and brings it with him and it is infectious.

Being focused on the process and not being overly fooled by results (which can be random sometimes) is good. But you do still have to focus on results too.

Agree, the fact that Langs was a head coach and built a winning program from scratch shows strong leadership skills. Also like that he is RB & Special Teams coach. IMO shows Campbell realizes he needs to make changes to HIS approach to "win in the margins".

Poteat looks like a nice hire as well. I like his long-time NFL experience, young players should respect that. Additionally, have always been a fan of Wisconsin's defenses so hopefully he can bring some of that winning mentality and high standards.

I would give Campbell and A grade for his coaching hires so far.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree, the fact that Langs was a head coach and built a winning program from scratch shows strong leadership skills. Also like that he is RB & Special Teams coach. IMO shows Campbell realizes he needs to make changes to HIS approach to "win in the margins".

Poteat looks like a nice hire as well. I like his long-time NFL experience, young players should respect that. Additionally, have always been a fan of Wisconsin's defenses so hopefully he can bring some of that winning mentality and high standards.

I would give Campbell and A grade for his coaching hires so far.

I love the Poteat hire but our defense already has a winning mentality and high standards.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Ellis Hobbs was the first athlete I saw on campus. I was both starstruck and in disbelief at how small he was.
I had to laugh out loud when I saw this. I used to see one of our starting OL on campus—at least, it was a guy in his HS letter jacket about the same size—and I’d be in utter disbelief at what a dumpy body he had.

Then Gene Williams fooled me by having a solid NFL career.

Years later, chortling that he knew how to hold without getting caught. :grin:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Did I seriously need a jimlad?

:rolleyes:
Yes, you did. You're dealing with 100s of readers here, each with his or her own level of literalism. Without a cue of some sort, usually I interpret comments literally.

Hey, sorry if I got your meaning wrong. That's just me. (grin)

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Could someone provide a snyopsis of Manning leaving? Was he urged to leave? Did Cincinnati offer more money?

OL coaching change and special teams were obvious but I'm a bit surprised to see Manning go.

• Dumb
Reactions: clonebb

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Could someone provide a snyopsis of Manning leaving? Was he urged to leave? Did Cincinnati offer more money?

OL coaching change and special teams were obvious but I'm a bit surprised to see Manning go.
Manning(OC) and Meyer (OL) were asked to leave. Shouldn't surprise as ISU's offense was horrible last year.

Play calling was predictable and OL has been lackluster for years.

Reactions: CloneSince88

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015

Ask Captain Obvious.