2022/23 Coaching Staff Changes

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Couldn’t agree more!! He was very impressive in the press conference.
Would be shocked if the OL doesn’t take a huge jump this year.
I completely agree with this. I like the details he gave in the press conference. He seemed to give more detail than the past. Seems like we will have quite a bit of improvement even next year.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Looks like a few former Cyclones have joined the staff. Sheldon Croney Jr is GA/Offense, and Rory Walling is Quality Control/Special Teams.

Other former Cyclones returning to the coaching staff: Deon Broomfield (Safeties/Defense Passing Game Coordinator), Kyle Kempt (QC/Offense), Sam Seonbuchner (GA/Offense), and Trever Ryen (Assistant S&C)

I’m pretty interested to see how Lang does. He seems to be a good coach, but no experience with RB or any offense. Not sure on ST’s, but I’m sure he’s done some of that. Glad he has a GA who played RB, and a QC to assist with ST’s as well.

I don’t think he will be in Ames long personally, but you never know. I think he’s going to move on up the ladder relatively quickly.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Really impressed by both Clayton and Lang.

Lang seems to bring a cerebral approach, which isn't surprising for a guy who has been a head coach.

Totally opposite vibe from Clayton, have a feeling our OL will be disciplined, but they will bring some nastiness as well. Very confident guy!

Both got me excited for some Cyclone football!!

Reactions: Matthew-10

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Couldn’t agree more!! He was very impressive in the press conference.
Would be shocked if the OL doesn’t take a huge jump this year.
What made the biggest impression on me is that he seemed to be the offensive side of the ball version of Coach Rasheed, pretty much literally. Tough, blue collar, hard working, relates to the players and knows his game. Speech patterns and mannerisms were even similar.

Reactions: khardbored

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
What made the biggest impression on me is that he seemed to be the offensive side of the ball version of Coach Rasheed, pretty much literally. Tough, blue collar, hard working, relates to the players and knows his game. Speech patterns and mannerisms were even similar.

It’s actually shocking how many coaches in college, and even the NFL just run their system even if they don’t have the players for it. It’s encouraging he talks about finding what they do and what works. I have no doubt he has a way he wants to do things, and may recruit that way in the future, but being flexible is huge.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s actually shocking how many coaches in college, and even the NFL just run their system even if they don’t have the players for it. It’s encouraging he talks about finding what they do and what works. I have no doubt he has a way he wants to do things, and may recruit that way in the future, but being flexible is huge.
The one question I wish someone would have asked is how his experience working with a very tall OT like Spencer Brown will help him with someone like Tyler Miller.

Though I suppose that actual Spring ball will be when they ask him how the two compare.

Oh…I was also surprised when he said that we had some 6’ 1 1/2” linemen. Given some of the roster shenanigans we’ve seen proven out by the NFL, maybe I shouldn’t have been.

Clonefan4628

Jan 10, 2012
I've been fortunate to have multiple sit-down conversations with Coach Clanton throughout his time at UNI. We sat and talked on the whiteboard for over an hour. Simple, but effective scheme. His players love playing for him.

Coach Langs will do great things at ISU. He talks like a head coach. I don't think you can have too many of these types of guys on staff.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Didnt see this posted anywhere.

Also saw this:

and this:

Also see Kagy brought 3 assistants with him.

and Langs brought 1.

Last edited:

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
I've been fortunate to have multiple sit-down conversations with Coach Clanton throughout his time at UNI. We sat and talked on the whiteboard for over an hour. Simple, but effective scheme. His players love playing for him.

Coach Langs will do great things at ISU. He talks like a head coach. I don't think you can have too many of these types of guys on staff.
Langs was a HC at his previous stop. Started Indiana Wesleyan from scratch in NAIA.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Nate looking comfortable and really calling plays well.

Clanton getting the oline to slowly start playing better. Now we get Remsburg back who could be a good upgrade. Looking forward to this group over the next couple seasons.

Most importantly imo. Jordan Langs is killing it. That fake FG was fantastic, great return by Noel and underrated but that fair catch by Porter was huge. Could've been a huge swing play if that goes wrong. Just overall competent ST play helps a lot. Plus RBs seems to be developing.

Major props to Matt.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HGoat1 and isucy86

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron