Offensive Coordinator- Ideas

Iluvteak

Oct 5, 2019
1. Western Kentucky OC Ben Arbuckle. They averaged nearly 36 points per game

2. Tulane OC Jim Svoboda. Averaged 33 points per game. This would be my preference as he is from Denison Iowa. He would have to be interested in coming home and stepping up a level.

3. App State OC Kevin Barbay - I put him here b/c they score points and always seem to have explosive offenses.

But what do you guys think? I love the idea of scooping up an over achiever in a non power 5, that is a sweet spot in my opinion. I am honestly agnostic to their style: running spread, passing spread, option, whatever. I simply want someone with more creativity, who has a tendency to do more with less.
Nice. SVOBODA sounds like our man. Tulane beat KSt this year and I’m sure they will fight to keep him. But the cornfields are calling. Cmon home.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If he’s the most coveted assistant then name his associate head coach.

I’m just sayin- don’t be surprised when he becomes our OC. Maybe it’s co-OC but he’s going to have a much bigger role. FWIW - I’m okay with it. Just don’t get the Interim thing.

He is our Running Game Coordinator now. Woody explained why we have an Interim OC. Listen to the podcast.

• Agree
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
If he’s the most coveted assistant then name his associate head coach.

I’m just sayin- don’t be surprised when he becomes our OC. Maybe it’s co-OC but he’s going to have a much bigger role. FWIW - I’m okay with it. Just don’t get the Interim thing.
Listen to the FART podcast that came out after the news broke. Woody explains why very well

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He is our Running Game Coordinator now. Woody explained why we have an Interim OC. Listen to the podcast.
Woody's explanation of there needing to be a chain of command with day-to-day ops, recruiting, etc. That Campbell needs someone he trusts to make decisions for the offense until a new OC is named. aka Campbell has strategic planning to do and shouldn't be distracted by day-to-day decisions.

If the OC position was going to be open for a month or so, that makes sense. But I hope that is not the case. Also, it seems tough to give an ambitious young coach a title and then take it away. But maybe Scheelhaas been promised a promotion like Associate HC with position and leadership responsibility.

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
I want someone to call this play

I'm pretty sure that is the play Manning was calling on all those 3rd and short situations. Problem is he didn't have the athletes to pull it off. Campbell and I blame strength and conditioning for this.

Hence why he is also looking for a new S&C. If you can't properly condition the players to be abel to run that play then what good could they be.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I'm pretty sure that is the play Manning was calling on all those 3rd and short situations. Problem is he didn't have the athletes to pull it off. Campbell and I blame strength and conditioning for this.

Hence why he is also looking for a new S&C. If you can't properly condition the players to be abel to run that play then what good could they be.
Those are some remarkable blocks on the Bo Jackson run.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Here's a thought, maybe get someone from Texas?

It doesn't look like we have anyone on staff from Texas.

Probably the deepest pool of d1 talent in our recruiting footprint, and it looks like we, what, ignore it?

Maybe that explains our recruiting rankings?

We land 2 to 3 from Texas a year.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Probably the deepest pool of d1 talent in our recruiting footprint, and it looks like we, what, ignore it?

We used to get a bunch of guys from Texas, you also keep bringing up our poor recruiting rankings even though every single year CMC has been here he’s had the schools best rated class in history.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
So, with Chadwell taking the Liberty job, does CMC and JP call Willy Korn? CCU has had a more than capable offense under him and he’s done more with less as both OC and QB coach. Additionally, a guy by the name of Korn definitely belongs at Iowa State

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Texas HS football is light years ahead of every other state in terms of maximizing HS talent. Most schools have college level S&C and coaching. It’s why the Big 12 has been a great college league that doesn’t do that great putting guys in the NFL. Kids are super developed relative to other states in terms of training and knowledge. Tons of kids that maybe don’t have NFL type ceilings are developed well enough to be high level college players.

It’s also swarmed by schools much more attractive than ISU. Every game and school is pretty heavily scouted.

The odds you are going to find an under recruited, under developed diamond in the rough in Texas are small. The odds you can get him to go to ISU over all those Texas and southern schools is even smaller.

Ohio is a MUCH better option. Lots of talent, great football state, but lots of depressed areas that don’t have all the football factories pumping out ready made college players like in Texas. Not to mention prior to Cincy joining the Big 12 only one P5 school, and that school is a national recruiter.

The guys ISU is going to win big with are largely going to be under the radar guys with a lot of room for development. That’s not a high percentage of Texas guys.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I've be surprised if he ever takes on any sort of job like that again.

Probably end up at some local high school so there's time to fish.
Chryst isn't the type of OC ISU needs to hire. Stylistically, Chryst is closer to Brian Ferentz.

ISU needs an OC that is going to have an above average run game and then have an efficient pass game. With ISU's recruiting, we need a creative OC.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron