Jeff Woody hopes we lose to TCU on Saturday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What say you? Do you agree with Jeff, or are you a loyal son forever true?

• Yes, I want TCU to beat Iowa State to increase their odds of making CFP

Votes: 125 30.3%
  • No, to hell with TCU and the Big 12, Go State!

Votes: 287 69.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I do think if LSU wins wins out, which would be beating Georgia in the SEC Championship, they will get in. There’s no way in hell they are leaving the SEC Champion out unless it’s 3 or more losses and/or there are just too many undefeated teams.
If LSU beat Georgia they would still need help from USC/TCU losing. If they both win out LSU is still on the outside looking in.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If LSU beat Georgia they would still need help from USC/TCU losing. If they both win out LSU is still on the outside looking in.
Perhaps. And logically that does make sense for sure, but hear me out, and this is crazy I am even saying this. Nobody has talked about Georgia losing to LSU and being left out of the CFP.

Look at who Georgia has beaten. Oregon and Tennessee would really be the marquee wins. USC wins out and say they beat Oregon by a couple of scores or more. They will have beaten Oregon, Notre Dame and UCLA with a tight loss at Utah (one of the tougher places to win).

If Ohio State and TCU finish unbeaten, they get in and then LSU jumps in for winning the SEC and then perhaps USC gets in over Georgia and the Bulldogs finish at a shocking number 5?

I absolutely do not think that will happen but that’s the crazy stuff the committee does. I really struggle to see them leaving out the SEC champion because of how much better they view that conference over anyone else.

Agree with your thought though, as that is a very real thing that could happen.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Perhaps. And logically that does make sense for sure, but hear me out, and this is crazy I am even saying this. Nobody has talked about Georgia losing to LSU and being left out of the CFP.

Look at who Georgia has beaten. Oregon and Tennessee would really be the marquee wins. USC wins out and say they beat Oregon by a couple of scores or more. They will have beaten Oregon, Notre Dame and UCLA with a tight loss at Utah (one of the tougher places to win).

If Ohio State and TCU finish unbeaten, they get in and then LSU jumps in for winning the SEC and then perhaps USC gets in over Georgia and the Bulldogs finish at a shocking number 5?

I absolutely do not think that will happen but that’s the crazy stuff the committee does. I really struggle to see them leaving out the SEC champion because of how much better they view that conference over anyone else.

Agree with your thought though, as that is a very real thing that could happen.
Georgia is easily the best team in the country, they aren’t being left out and will easily repeat. They have zero chance of being left out and again no two loss team has ever gotten in. LSU also got smashed by Tenn who just got obliterated by South Carolina. Really wouldn’t be worried about LSU getting in unless there is chaos.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
For the sake of conference integrity moving forward, based on the most recent FARTcast. He mentioned that it would be good for the Big 12 to have someone other than Oklahoma make the CFP, to prove that moving forward, the conference is a still a serious contender without the two big dogs to prop us up.

What say you? Do you agree with Jeff, or are you a loyal son forever true?
1. It's better for the league to get a team into the tournament
2. If we win that opens the door wide open to Campbell retaining everyone on the staff "see we went to a bowl this year"

I'm really indifferent anyway given how poorly the season has gone by the way

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Georgia is easily the best team in the country, they aren’t being left out and will easily repeat. They have zero chance of being left out and again no two loss team has ever gotten in. LSU also got smashed by Tenn who just got obliterated by South Carolina. Really wouldn’t be worried about LSU getting in unless there is chaos.
Like I said I am just tossing out scenarios and weird things the committee could do because they like to do weird things at times. I in no way think Georgia is in danger of missing out.

Also just because there’s never been a 2-loss team make it doesn’t mean it can’t happen. We likely won’t get to see it because we are going to 12 teams quickly here, but had the 4-team playoff been around long enough we would absolutely get a 2-loss team in there. Hell the very school we are talking about (LSU) bucked the BCS trend and got in the 2008 National Championship with two losses and won it. And that’s when we only had two teams make it.

I agree they need help but if they beat Georgia there will be a serious discussion in that room about it. But they aren’t beating Georgia so it’s all moot.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
It would be poetic justice for ISU to upset TCU Saturday afternoon on big Fox after a season filled with unpredictable games. A 10 point spread is pretty small for an undefeated conference leader hosting the last place team in the season finale. In 2014, of course, this same matchup had TCU favored by 34 points or so. To beat ISU by 10, though, TCU must find a way to score 10 points against the league's best D. Also, if TCU scores first, it may work against them. They have been at their best when playing from behind all season long. Without that adrenaline boost, this game could go down to the last play.

My pick: TCU in a close one, 17-15, over ISU, with a late 4Q drive including heroic play by Heisman hopeful, and Iowa's own, Max Duggan.

If TCU does survive their Senior day undefeated, of course they will face a very tough KSU team, who a lot of people will pick in the CCG. In fact, if TCU goes on to beat both ISU and KSU for a second time, they will also have to break the spell ISU has cast upon the league this season. I went back and verified this just now:

Every Big 12 team that has defeated ISU this season has gone on to lose their very next game. 6 in a row so far, which is definitely a trend. WVU is the only team to win the week after playing ISU, but of course they were the only W we have posted. If the ISU curse continues this weekend, though, TTU is destined to lose their finale vs OU.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've bet 100s of dollars against ISU and still rooted for them every time.
A former player, rooting against ISU, makes me sick and he can **** himself.

Jeff Woody was on a podcast with his rational business owner hat on. It was simply that what is good for the Big 12 in the long run is better for Iowa State than this single win. However, once the game kicks off, I fully expect that he will be cheering vigorously for Iowa State.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Two things can be true at once. I want ISU to win, but don’t want winning to prevent CMC from making changes in the off season. Personally, I believe changes are coming regardless of whether ISU beats TCU.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Every Big 12 team that has defeated ISU this season has gone on to lose their very next game. 6 in a row so far, which is definitely a trend. WVU is the only team to win the week after playing ISU, but of course they were the only W we have posted. If the ISU curse continues this weekend, though, TTU is destined to lose their finale vs OU.
FYI, here is the record of futility suffered by Big 12 opponents who dared to defeat the Cyclone sorcerers so far this season:
  • Baylor loses 36-25 to OSU in week 5:
  • Kansas loses 38-31 to TCU in week 6:
  • K-State, following a bye, loses 38-28 to TCU in week 8:
  • Texas loses 41-34 to OSU, also in week 8:
  • Oklahoma loses 38-35 to Baylor in week 10:
  • Okie St loses to Oklahoma 28-13 in week 12:

Is it karma? Or is there some worldly explanation for this trend?

Last edited:

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'll add that if they had beaten Texas Tech, I would be cheering for them to get to 6 wins and a bowl game.
I attended my 1st game in 1964. I hope we get slaughtered. I do not want CMC to have even a glimmer of hope that the status quo is okay. Our recruiting classes have been ranked the lowest in the Big 12 and the on field preformance bears it out. He got lucky with a few 3 stars 4, 5 and 6 years ago that carried the team until this yesr and his luck has run out. The coaches have not proven they can develop players year in and year out.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog and Hoggins

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I attended my 1st game in 1964. I hope we get slaughtered. I do not want CMC to have even a glimmer of hope that the status quo is okay. Our recruiting classes have been ranked the lowest in the Big 12 and the on field preformance bears it out. He got lucky with a few 3 stars 4, 5 and 6 years ago that carried the team until this yesr and his luck has run out. The coaches have not proven they can develop players year in and year out.
Careful there my man, the CampbellStans are going to come after you for not being a loyal son, forever true.

We aren't allowed to doubt or question, but must trust the process, to win in the margins, with our culture.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
You as others are clueless if you think ISU recruiting will get better by losing this game or that it helps ISU in any way. This game is huge for the kids coming back next. They have been in every game only to find a way to lose. Beating a Top 5 team will change the kids/recruits offseason perspectives significantly.

As far as coaching it will be evaluated over the 12 games. A win will not change that evaluation significantly. Campbell is here to win and create a culture that teaches the athletes they are more than FB players and the team is bigger than any individual. I believe there will be changes made (but not a ton as this team is close so why start from scratch…there is no need). Matt knows better than anyone what changes need to happen. Can we wait for that to happen.

No one is happy with the last 2 years…period. But the roster is so much further ahead of Cambell’s first year which allows for big and quick turn-a-rounds, i.e. TCU was 5-7 in 2023.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You as others are clueless if you think ISU recruiting will get better by losing this game or that it helps ISU in any way. This game is huge for the kids coming back next. They have been in every game only to find a way to lose. Beating a Top 5 team will change the kids/recruits offseason perspectives significantly.

As far as coaching it will be evaluated over the 12 games. A win will not change that evaluation significantly. Campbell is here to win and create a culture that teaches the athletes they are more than FB players and the team is bigger than any individual. I believe there will be changes made (but not a ton as this team is close so why start from scratch…there is no need). Matt knows better than anyone what changes need to happen. Can we wait for that to happen.

No one is happy with the last 2 years…period. But the roster is so much further ahead of Cambell’s first year which allows for big and quick turn-a-rounds, i.e. TCU was 5-7 in 2023.

Someone's going to point out (correctly) that TCU also had a coaching change in there.
You're totally right that losing isn't going to build us up, and getting obliterated isn't the way to end a season. It's so uncomplicated at this point. Just go win.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I will argue this case on its merits, and as a fellow boomer raised as a K.U. fan in the 60s (still in recovery ...).

Let's not discount the effect of youth on this team, regardless of their HS "star" ratings. Being one of the younger teams in the country, they are actually pretty much on track. Actually, they have been perilously close to over achieving, significantly, had several factors played more in their favor during conference play. Remember, the coach recruit, and call plays, but he cannot:
  • Pick up the flags of unseasoned referees during the first half of the season that sent those games into nether worldly enigmatic conclusions. Cannot blame refs for needing to learn their jobs. The Big 12 staff was clearly raided by the larger, more powerful conferences, though. And that made these contests, certain to be closely fought games, high risk at best. The refs, too, in their defense have improved throughout the season.
  • Un-drop passes that hit otherwise highly skilled receivers directly in the hands during game critical drives. This is a game of momentum. That is not not quantifiable, but anyone who has been around the game as long as you have knows it to be true. And dropped passes are in the category of momentum killers.
  • Un-throw passes that were easily intercepted by a first year starting QB. Dekkers is a keeper. He did not get reps last year as he might have due to backing up an NFL prospect, so his best seasons are ahead of him.
  • Re-kick missed chip shot field goals by a true freshman kickers. I think these kickers will settle down to Shaggy-like consistency in coming years, but not in season 1.
Like you, I assume, I hold the coaching staff responsible for the more systemic deficiencies. Keep in mind these have been overcome during the best of times, including the 2020 season:
  • In year 7, the run blocking continues to be anemic. In spite of a heritage of developing offensive lines at Toledo, CMC has yet to have an OL drafted into the NFL
  • Inconsistent special teams performances. "Old coaches" always understand that special teams must be emphasized from day 1. But this has clearly been a blind spot of this coaching staff. They have descended from above average in CPR's reign to bottom 10% over the past several seasons, with little done to address it.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
This is simply not true. Per 24/7 sports, ISU ranked 7th, 6th, 6th, and 8th in the conference in football recruiting from 2018-2021. You have the right to want some coaching changes. If fact, I agree that CMC needs to make some staff some as the message is starting to get old. However, you should check your facts before making an argument.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood