Jeff Woody hopes we lose to TCU on Saturday

What say you? Do you agree with Jeff, or are you a loyal son forever true?

• Yes, I want TCU to beat Iowa State to increase their odds of making CFP

Votes: 125 30.3%
  • No, to hell with TCU and the Big 12, Go State!

Votes: 287 69.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Are they counting ranked wins at the time? Kinda have to be which is a very poor way of judging it. Sparty was ranked 12 at one point and no one should get credit for a ranked win against us
Ranked wins also could be bs because of how badly the media treats the conference. Pick one or the other.

Pick the other metrics to zoom in on and discredit TCU.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Are they counting ranked wins at the time? Kinda have to be which is a very poor way of judging it. Sparty was ranked 12 at one point and no one should get credit for a ranked win against us
Oh, so now you don't count wins against ranked opponents that are no longer ranked, huh?

The Big 12 is the best league in the nation from top to bottom. There are no real bottom feeders. So they spend the whole season beating each other. And when TCU beats a ranked Big 12 team, it's only natural that team is going to drop in the rankings, maybe drop out of the rankings altogether.

Look, I know you're a Big 10 fan, but the resume comparison below isn't even close. Deal with it.

1669320794216.png

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh, so now you don't count wins against ranked opponents that are no longer ranked, huh?

The Big 12 is the best league in the nation from top to bottom. There are no real bottom feeders. So they spend the whole season beating each other. And when TCU beats a ranked Big 12 team, it's only natural that team is going to drop in the rankings, maybe drop out of the rankings altogether.

Look, I know you're a Big 10 fan, but the resume comparison below isn't even close. Deal with it.

View attachment 105883

Thats nuts, but TCU will get hosed.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Excellent graphic. TCU is the best team to date in the strongest conference in all of CFB.
By the same token, ISU, (* the lousiest of the best) at 4-7 the last place team in said conference, with SOS #8 (way higher than any of the above), remains ranked #32 in Jeff Sagarin's ratings:

Contrast that with Iowa, (the best of the lousiest) with a #21 rating, and coincidentally SOS #21 (again, much higher than any of the above)

And for reference, here are Sagarin's top 10 conference rankings:
1669322036717.png

If you average the SEC east and west, you get 79.92. Still ahead of the PAC-12 North, but, as a whole conference, the SEC is well below the Big 12.

* - ISU retains sole possession of last place, earning the title. However, it should be noted that both WVU, #50 (SOS #5) , and Kansas #51 (SOS #6), are actually ranked way lower than ISU.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Careful there my man, the CampbellStans are going to come after you for not being a loyal son, forever true.

We aren't allowed to doubt or question, but must trust the process, to win in the margins, with our culture.
I have been quiet for the last 6 games. Bring it on.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
On one hand I want TCU to make the playoffs. On the other hand if we beat them they don't deserve it.
In the top rated conference, they would actually deserve to be in the conversation for a spot in the CFP with a single loss. But they would not get it, since they would not pass the the SEC or B1G "eye test".

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Great point on Michigan's schedule. Harbaugh might have to look in the mirror if a one loss Michigan gets left out in the cold. What an embarrassment of a non-con.
Agree about Michigan's schedule being weak, but I will give them credit for not scheduling any FCS schools. Sure, there are FCS schools that are rated higher than FBS schools, but even with the FBS teams Michigan played this year, there are a number of weaker FCS schools that they could have plugged into their schedule for one of their non-cons. Also, with Hawaii and Colorado State, Michigan would have had a hard time knowing that they would be so lowly rated this season when they scheduled them however many years back. Swapping the UConn game for a game against a mid to high level P5 opponent is the missing piece for them having a more respectable schedule.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Agree about Michigan's schedule being weak, but I will give them credit for not scheduling any FCS schools. Sure, there are FCS schools that are rated higher than FBS schools, but even with the FBS teams Michigan played this year, there are a number of weaker FCS schools that they could have plugged into their schedule for one of their non-cons. Also, with Hawaii and Colorado State, Michigan would have had a hard time knowing that they would be so lowly rated this season when they scheduled them however many years back. Swapping the UConn game for a game against a mid to high level P5 opponent is the missing piece for them having a more respectable schedule.
They had UCLA and cancelled the home and home back in 2019. Bet they would like that one back. Like you said though, you don't know how these teams will be, but the schedule is still the schedule.

• Informative
Reactions: HawaiiClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

View attachment 105883

With that resume... there's no way they can screw over TCU if they win tomorrow.... right?

Paul Finebaum actually said the other day that there's no way that TCU could beat Alabama.... what a homer doosh. Maybe Alabama shouldn't lose two games if Paul wants them in the CFP.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
They had UCLA and cancelled the home and home back in 2019. Bet they would like that one back. Like you said though, you don't know how these teams will be, but the schedule is still the schedule.
UCLA would have definitely fit the bill!

It almost seems like you need at least 4 non-con games to iron out the hits and
misses with scheduling.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
UCLA would have definitely fit the bill!

It almost seems like you need at least 4 non-con games to iron out the hits and
misses with scheduling.
It’s a tricky thing for sure. I think if you are a blue blood or wanting to push for a CFP (and there’s maybe 15 of those schools) you need to schedule as close to sure thing as you can that it will be a resume boosting non-con. Michigan should be scheduling the likes of Notre Dame, Clemson, USC, etc

• Agree

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
It’s a tricky thing for sure. I think if you are a blue blood or wanting to push for a CFP (and there’s maybe 15 of those schools) you need to schedule as close to sure thing as you can that it will be a resume boosting non-con. Michigan should be scheduling the likes of Notre Dame, Clemson, USC, etc
It's funny because this ties in with Saban saying at one point that P5 schools should only play P5 schools. Then later on Alabama doesn't just schedule a non-P5 school, but they schedule an FCS school. I suppose you could schedule FCS schools that are usually better than a bunch of G5 schools, but I'm not sure they are doing that.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Careful there my man, the CampbellStans are going to come after you for not being a loyal son, forever true.

We aren't allowed to doubt or question, but must trust the process, to win in the margins, with our culture.
Or post something that isn’t negative about the football program a couple times every month. Once again who are you hiring to replace Campbell?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
It's funny because this ties in with Saban saying at one point that P5 schools should only play P5 schools. Then later on Alabama doesn't just schedule a non-P5 school, but they schedule an FCS school. I suppose you could schedule FCS schools that are usually better than a bunch of G5 schools, but I'm not sure they are doing that.
Hey, don’t drag Austin Peay like that.

:jimlad:

• Funny