Michigan - Michigan State Post-game fight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sheesh. Can they not stagger the entrance/exits for teams? Seems like beyond how bad of a look that is, some logistical changes could lower the chances of this happening.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Always bizarre to me how if a full-on brawl like this breaks out in the stands you have multiple arrests, charges filed, and fans banned for years if not life. But if players do this on the field, it's not a law enforcement matter but left up to the schools or conferences.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I assumed they did, that's why it was one player and not the whole team. The Michigan player decided to **** around and found out.

Yep, the ol' "Look at what you made me do!" defense. Totally his fault his mere presence made him get jumped by those guys.

You know what they say about "assuming"...

Reactions: 06_CY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yep, the ol' "Look at what you made me do!" defense. Totally his fault his mere presence made him get jumped by those guys.

You know what they say about "assuming"...

So why did Harbaugh hold his team on the field to let the MSU team get to their locker room? Everyone knew that letting the two teams go up the tunnel at the same time was a bad idea. Everyone but one Michigan player apparently.

He either did this as a provocation or just has terrible situational awareness. Not saying that MSU players shouldn't be punished for what they did, but let's not assume the Michigan player was completely innocent here.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I've seen worse at high school games.

One guy against an entire team..........and the one guy walks away? MSU players didn't really want to lay him out.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So why did Harbaugh hold his team on the field to let the MSU team get to their locker room? Everyone knew that letting the two teams go up the tunnel at the same time was a bad idea. Everyone but one Michigan player apparently.

He either did this as a provocation or just has terrible situational awareness. Not saying that MSU players shouldn't be punished for what they did, but let's not assume the Michigan player was completely innocent here.

I read on the Athletic that it's possible Harbaugh let his team go over to the sideline to celebrate with the student section for a few minutes, to possibly answer your question.

And what is the Michigan player guilty for here? Walking into the tunnel? Come on.

I'm not even much of a Michigan fan; Harbaugh is a semi-jacka$$ at the least, and the fan base is arrogant (much like the fanbase to the east of Ames). But to put the blame on anyone else besides the Spartan players who started a gang assault on one guy is just plain silly.

Reactions: chadly82

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I've seen worse at high school games.

One guy against an entire team..........and the one guy walks away? MSU players didn't really want to lay him out.

There are reports that a 2nd Michigan player was also assaulted, and potentially a broken nose between the two of them.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Trash program, trash AD. That athletic department should have been cratered after the Nasser deal. Also, pretty tough guys there jumping a corner who has been injured all year and is a freshman. They’ll get theirs next year…again.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Clearly MSU players are in the wrong here.

That said, we also don't know what led up to this. Was the Michigan player just walking to the tunnel... or was he walking to the tunnel at that specific time just to run his mouth at a rival that just lost? The UM-MSU rivalry is a lot nastier than people realize nationwide (mostly because all anyone nationwide cares about is UM-OSU) and it very easily could have been the latter

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I will hold judgement until hearing the whole story. Was Michigan player trash talking and getting in MSU player's faces after the victory. Not that it justifies a group of MSU players jumping 1 or 2 Michigan players.

Regardless, there is NO place in college athletics for this kind of crap!!!

I tend to think that money has and is corrupting college D1 sport. And I put University Presidents responsible for chasing the almighty dollar at all costs. Priorities in Football and Men's Basketball are hurting both sports. The reality is university Presidents and AD's have PROFESSIONALIZED 2 sports where 18-22 year olds are the human capital.

Obviously, the full story should dictate punishment. But if a group of MSU players attacked and injured a Michigan player, those parties should be suspended the rest of the season.